IGNORED

Govt Safe Standing Petition (Merged)

JackMarch

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Mind you, I don't wish to sound a moaner but I've said it before, Millwall away- in block I was in so many City fans were sat throughout as a % of said block- perhaps there is sadly less demand? (However I think it's there but that example did come as a surprise to me).

I was in Block 21 and everyone was stood up, at least in the back 10 rows or so. Think you just got unlucky with your block.

31 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I was in Block 21 and everyone was stood up, at least in the back 10 rows or so. Think you just got unlucky with your block.

More than likely yeah.

(Block 25 for the record- think a few at the front and a few at the back stood- I was inclined to stand but noticed people behind me weren't so sitting the only real option).

42 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Mind you, I don't wish to sound a moaner but I've said it before, Millwall away- in block I was in so many City fans were sat throughout as a % of said block- perhaps there is sadly less demand? (However I think it's there but that example did come as a surprise to me).

Why should people wanting to sit at a match be something to moan about? We're not all the same, we don't all want the same things. Good.

I generally don't want to stand at games any more. But I've signed and shared the petition because I understand that some people do and the only way that causes me a problem is when some inconsiderate a-hole decides his right to stand is more important than my right to see the game. Having an area (as big as the demand for it justifies) specifically designed for those who want to stand can only be a good thing. As is having a dedicated area for those of us who want to watch the game whlist sitting down.

53 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Didn't fancy moving block?

5 minutes ago, lager loud said:

Why should people wanting to sit at a match be something to moan about? We're not all the same, we don't all want the same things. Good.

I generally don't want to stand at games any more. But I've signed and shared the petition because I understand that some people do and the only way that causes me a problem is when some inconsiderate a-hole decides his right to stand is more important than my right to see the game. Having an area (as big as the demand for it justifies) specifically designed for those who want to stand can only be a good thing. As is having a dedicated area for those of us who want to watch the game whlist sitting down.

I fully agree, I prefer to stand personally but each to their own.

It's long overdue this safe-standing, for the very reason you outline- people standing behind people who cannot or choose not to stand. A safe standing area- say for example the whole of the South Stand in an ideal world. Or maybe the upper half of it.

On 15/04/2018 at 17:37, finbarr_in_z said:

Slowed to a trickle though.

Maybe those of us who desperately want this are in a minority :no:

Maybe but I can’t believe people are so self centred and selfish.

ive never sat at football but would happily campaign for safe seating for those who must.

when did we lose freedom of choice?

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Maybe but I can’t believe people are so self centred and selfish.

ive never sat at football but would happily campaign for safe seating for those who must.

when did we lose freedom of choice?

I signed it despite having no intention of using the facility. As you say, it’s about giving people choices. 

Besides, the sooner it’s legal the sooner people can stop moaning about those who’d rather sit....;)

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't get away all that often, didn't know you could! There was a steward at the bottom of the steps so would I think have checked tickets for capacity purposes etc.

You'd have been fine mate, can't remember the last time I sat in my correct seat at an away game. Can't remember the last time anyone booted me out for being in their seat either, I think most people just tend to go wherever. Obviously sometimes there are stewards checking tickets on entrance to the away end, but it's easy enough to get around them and most don't care.

QPR is one of the strictest but I still managed at half time this season to move to the cheaper silver block (had purchased a gold ticket but the atmosphere was beyond dire there.)

25 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

You'd have been fine mate, can't remember the last time I sat in my correct seat at an away game. Can't remember the last time anyone booted me out for being in their seat either, I think most people just tend to go wherever. Obviously sometimes there are stewards checking tickets on entrance to the away end, but it's easy enough to get around them and most don't care.

QPR is one of the strictest but I still managed at half time this season to move to the cheaper silver block (had purchased a gold ticket but the atmosphere was beyond dire there.)

True. Stewards seemed pretty hands off, low key at Millwall I thought- what with the unreserved seats by block policy, decent away day all told-probably will do it next year.

I suppose basically wasn't sure there would be three seats in another block (were three of us) that was the other reason.  

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True. Stewards seemed pretty hands off, low key at Millwall I thought- what with the unreserved seats by block policy, decent away day all told-probably will do it next year.

I suppose basically wasn't sure there would be three seats in another block (were three of us) that was the other reason.  

With the way they've been going mate we'll have to hope for a cup tie haha

Just now, finbarr_in_z said:

Ta.

Impressive effort from Merseyside considering this is an emotive subject there.

Don't quote me on it, but fairly sure the Spirit of Shankly group did a survey of all it's members asking who'd be in favour of safe standing, and it was above 80%.

Norwich surprised me the most. Fucking Norwich!

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Don't quote me on it, but fairly sure the Spirit of Shankly group did a survey of all it's members asking who'd be in favour of safe standing, and it was above 80%.

I think you're right about the SoS group.

I noticed hardly any support in Scotland, but then realised it doesn't apply to them (I believe), eg the Celtic rail seat area.

I think there is still a lot of ignorance out there regarding rail seating and difference between it and the crash barriers. I shared this link on my facebook page and immediately found myself in a discussion that raised the spectre of Hillsborough, "crowd surges" and access issues. I posted a couple of pictures of rail seating to answer all of these points, but some people have had this safety issue ingrained by the government and the press. 

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I wonder how much that map reflects how well the petition has been promoted though?

We are fortunate that we have Jon Darch as part of this board, but can imagine many clubs aren't as aware as "we" are

Maybe in Birmingham it's not got as much publicity. That map reflects poorly on the area, nowhere near as many signatures as I'd expect.

15 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

This and This may help to explain their interest in this regard.

They have had first hand experience of this issue this season, definitely helps to explain why their interest is higher than might be expected!

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair enough then! Seems like we might have a rival for the worst SAG in the country award.

Archived