IGNORED

Govt Safe Standing Petition (Merged)

JackMarch

My concern here.

Could this affect our very own- and ones similar around the country- singing section?

I am assuming this doesn't include that kind of thing, but this is a bit of- maybe an unjustified- concern.

If regs are enforced as per the Minister for Sport's wishes (terrible idea) I foresee trouble ahead...

Unworkable and bound to cause trouble! Pretty sure before East End reopened to home fans, regular conflicts in parts AG between fans and stewards in late 90's, maybe until East End reopened for home fans in decent numbers- 2004 was it?

• SC&T Board Members
2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Fair enough then! Seems like we might have a rival for the worst SAG in the country award.

No. Their SAG is fine. Concerned about kids standing on seats, but fully behind rail seats for the future.

Need a big boost from the London areas. Quite surprised how low it is from places like tottenham and fulham, chelsea and west ham when you see the amount of fans standing during the game. They need to pull their finger out

• SC&T Board Members
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

More likely to go the other way I fear, if this moron of a sports minister pushes her view.

The sports minister has done more to further the safe standing cause in the last 7 days than all of us supporter campaigners have been able to do in 20 years.

I won't hear a bad word said against her! She has demonstrated far better than I ever could why on this matter the law is an ass. Thanks a million, Tracey.

And just to ensure we hear her elucidate her views on this in full in a parliamentary debate, please click here. (Now over 61,300 names on the petition)

9 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

The sports minister has done more to further the safe standing cause in the last 7 days than all of us supporter campaigners have been able to do in 20 years.

I won't hear a bad word said against her! She has demonstrated far better than I ever could why on this matter the law is an ass. Thanks a million, Tracey.

And just to ensure we hear her elucidate her views on this in full in a parliamentary debate, please click here. (Now over 61,300 names on the petition)

That is an optimistic interpretation! I like it!

I really don’t understand this excuse I keep seeing about a lack of evidence before considering a change. 

What evidence is it that they’d like?

If they’re worried about safety concerns, they’d only have to look at Germany & more recently in Scotland to see how it’s got on. So surely it can’t be that. 

If they don’t truly believe the evidence is there to suggest there is a serious demand for it, they only need to look at every stadium around the country to see that fans stand in every single one of them.

Even so, if that is the evidence they’re after, why are the authorities worried about that at all? Each club will check the demand of their fanbase and if they want/need it & they’ll also obviously foot the costs of installing it. 

The choice should be there for each individual club to decide upon. 

92,390 now.

Personal view on Safe Standing- it is now accepted that away fans will almost always stand. Is a part of safety/order strategy to let them as well- specifically the tweet by Marcus Keppel.

Therefore- a whole end, that is to say the other end behind the goal should get the safe standing- however the proviso is the all seater must be enforced and stewarded accordingly in other areas- trade-offs. (Except the top row, can't see the issue there).

That should leave everyone happy tbh.

Outstanding, hopefully they'll have a reasoned discussion and come to their senses. Tom Watson on the labour side was a big help to the Hillsborough families in the past, hopefully he'll realise which side of this argument he should be on.

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Outstanding, hopefully they'll have a reasoned discussion and come to their senses. Tom Watson on the labour side was a big help to the Hillsborough families in the past, hopefully he'll realise which side of this argument he should be on.

We're talking politicians here!

On 13/04/2018 at 12:44, ExiledAjax said:

Have emailed my MP.  This is what I said if anyone wants to copy it, you'll need to change the bit in blue if your MP isn't Labour:

Dear [NAME OF YOUR MP], MP,

I am writing as your constituent and invite you to consider supporting the following petition which requests that Parliament consider changing the law in order to allow football clubs in the top two tiers of English football to install facilities that allow safe standing.

Recently the Sports Minister, Tracey Couch, rejected an application from West Bromwich Albion to install safe standing at their ground. Since that decision the Football Safety Officers Association has said the following:

West Bromwich Albion’s bid to trial a safe-standing section in the Smethwick End was submitted after lengthy research across Europe and also at Celtic, where similar systems are already working successfully. The pilot would have provided the perfect opportunity to gather much-needed data and feedback with the view of possibly introducing similar systems at grounds across England and Wales in future.

Safety Officers and Club Directors across the country are subject to legislative requirements but this is one legislation that should be given careful consideration. However we move forward in future, the safety of spectators must always remain paramount but it seems that as we strive to improve standards of safety already achieved at our grounds, the Government is then choosing to ignore what may prove to be a safer alternative to standing in seated areas."

As an MP who undoubtedly counts many football fans as constituents, I ask that you discuss this matter with the leader of your party, who is known to be a football fan himself, and seek to have this matter discussed by Parliament regardless of whether the above petition reaches the 100,000 threshold or not.

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,

[YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER]

Received a reply to the above from my MP. Marsha de Cordova, Labour, Battersea. Seems engaged although it’s a tad wishy washy. Obviously terrified of Hillsborough press. Still seems some traction has been gained.

“Thank you for contacting me recently about safe standing at English Premier League and Championship football grounds.

I agree that this is an important issue. Indeed, I note that over 100,000 people have signed the petition on the UK Government and Parliament petitions website calling for English Premier League and Championship clubs to be allowed to introduce safe standing. This issue will therefore be considered for a debate in Parliament.

I know that the Football Supporters’ Federation has long campaigned on this issue and that surveys carried out by supporters’ trusts at a number of clubs have shown high levels of support for safe standing. At the same time, I note that organisations representing the families of victims of the Hillsborough disaster, which was the catalyst for the law requiring all-seater stadiums, are divided on this issue. The issue of standing space at football matches is obviously a highly emotional issue and the memories of Hillsborough are still fresh for many people across the country. If we are to revisit this policy, then it will need to be done in a very careful and cautious way which builds up strong evidence that terraces are completely safe for fans.

The Government states that it believes that all-seater stadiums are the best means to ensure the safety and security of spectators at football grounds in England and Wales. It argues that all-seater stadiums have helped improve crowd management, crowd behaviour and policing. It has said that it will monitor developments at Celtic and Shrewsbury Town FC, where safe standing areas have been introduced.

I believe it is important that the Government gives proper consideration to this issue. At the June 2017 general election, I stood on a manifesto that called for sport to be run in the interests of those who participate in it and love it, and pledged to give football supporters a greater say in how their clubs are run. I also committed to reviewing the role of fans in sport governance more widely. I can therefore assure you that I will take your views into account as I continue to monitor this issue.    

As Shadow Minister for Disabled People, I also agree with disabled supporters group Level Playing Fields that we should ensure that any changes to seating would not impact accessibility and facilities for disabled people.”

Archived