IGNORED

Pulis

GrahamC

9 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Him and Osman were the worst managers in my lifetime and that’s saying something. As clueless and boring as Osman was, we did beat Liverpool, Lumsden gave us Jacki and Fawthrop took us to Wembley. Pulis did nothing other than set the club back god knows how long.

As unfortunate as I am to have witnessed/watched both it’s fair to say Osman worked wonders (highest placed finish since 1st years at the time) with no money whatsoever. Boring football but in comparison to Pulis who must of blown 2-3m at the time in charge. 

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It didn`t help that he was part of the g*s team that had some of our most hated players in it, him included.

Vaughan Jones anyone? Ian Alexander?

Ian Alexander never played in the same team as Pulis....I remember probably my fave game ever...Dec 10th 1983...FA Cup second round...Gas 1 City 2 - I was there in the away end, and my sister taped the radio commentary for me...when I played it back, Pulis was the co commentator and he called Rovers ‘we’ all the way through...totally understandable....but why the hell did we appoint him as manager when Joe Royle, David Moyes and Peter Taylor also wanted the job?! Unbelievable....

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

When Pompey were mug enough to take him it was like a cloud was lifted from our club. IIRC next game was Bmuff away, we played some of the youngsters and attacked, and won 3-2 having tried to spend the season defending against the likes of Cambridge and pumping long balls from Lavin to Tango man.

Two from Super Scott Murray, one which he hit with his left peg from outside the box and nestled top bins.

What I do remember the most from that day though, was a chant about Pulis to the tune of Pink Floyds ‘The wall’

We don’t need no Tony Pulis

Keep the Ball down on the ground

He has done f**k all for the City

And he’ll take the Pompey down.

...hey Pulis you ain’t done f**k all! 

All in all you’re just another p**ck out the door

Every time that bloody song comes on the radio I’m singing it! :rolleyes:

20 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Pulis had a near 44% win rate at Gillingham, that's why, and to date his stats certainly make impressive reading, but let's not let facts get in the way of Myth. He is a defensive coach though, and his draw stats are I think the highest of all coaches, it certainly was with us, and I suffered many a dull 0-0 too. Currently he highest win ratio is.... 

Middlesborough :yes:

Wotsup Mr C don't you like facts that might belie your biased notions? :bored: 

On 13/04/2018 at 12:23, Mr Popodopolous said:

I remember his reign well- people were very happy when Portsmouth poached him!

Would add to that OP, showed little interest in playing the youth either.

Some notes I made at the time. I believe the dates are correct.

In July 1999, Tony Pulis was appointed manager. He had led Gillingham to the playoff final only two months before, but had then been sacked for “Gross Misconduct”.  Despite that, for some inexplicable reason, City still had to pay compensation to Gillingham. Can anyone explain why please?

Early in the year 2000, during a goal less draw with Cardiff, towards the end of the first half, the Cardiff ‘keeper punched out a cross which Tistimetanu immediately kicked past him into the goal. The “goal” was disallowed for offside, Tinnion protested and was sent off! The referee was Mr Dean from the Wirral who had given several surprising decisions against City in games during the previous season.

Five days later Pulis resigned and became manager of Portsmouth. The following day City won 3-2 at Bournemouth whilst Portsmouth lost by the same score at home to Wolves, whose equaliser was scored by Tony Branch who Pulis had tried to sign for City and the winner came from Akinbiyi who Pulis had sold to Wolves only four months before.  The following week City were home to leaders Wigan. When City’s players took the field they were seen to be smiling and relaxed.

16 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

For the masochist s, he's on Football Focus right now. 

Obviously don't accept he's lost his hair, the vain tw4t.  It's and interview, take your effing baseball cap off you rude shite.

:grr:

Sometimes you've just got to dress for your age, Tiny really needs to grasp that wearing a baseball cap isn't appropriate. Like a teenager trying to desperately cling onto their youth.

32 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Sometimes you've just got to dress for your age, Tiny really needs to grasp that wearing a baseball cap isn't appropriate. Like a teenager trying to desperately cling onto their youth.

And the white trainers.  No class for his age. 

Thanks to @GrahamCfor giving me my annual opportunity to vent my spleen.  I think we should have official annual 'Celebrate Making Pulis History' day on OTIB!!  :laughcont:

Sure we'd get some West Brom fans over for a visit!!!

6 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

When he was manager here and he used to wear a blue  polo shirt, blue shorts and a blue baseball cap he looked like a retired American army officer on a golfing holiday.

Tosser.

It was then board member John Lacock who chased after Pulis

I worked for John lackock at one time, played charity football matches against his other company. He always played on the opposition side, and always in Rovers kit. Think he was once on Rovers books, knew Pulis from their Rovers connection.  

Scot Davidson was chairman,  and had Moyes lined up,  unfortunately Pulis got the vote from the other board members 

Pulis didn't get on with Davidson, hence never signed a contract.

Had Lacock been chairman,  pulis would have been manager for the. foreseeable.....!

Archived