IGNORED

What is Esport?

cidercity1987

Welcome to the twenty first century guys.

The questions is not "What is Fifa esports?" but "What is your Fifa esports handle?"

"German player MegaBit [Michael Bittner] was tearing up online qualification for the last event in Barcelona, and that man has given Bochum some fantastic press."

Acquiring Spencer 'Gorilla' Ealing, who is currently regarded as the world's best player having won the 2017 Fifa Interactive World Cup, has certainly helped.

Sixteen-year-old English amateur Donovan 'DhTekKz' Hunt upset the established professionals to win the last FUT Champions Cup event in Barcelona

Well clearly I am Eddie "Owl" Hitler; before anyone else claims it.

It gets MILLIONS of viewers. MILLIONS, not 18/19,000 on a Saturday, but MILLIONs from all over the globe, all the time.

Not just FIFA either but games like DOTA, Starcraft and League of Legends are the biggest.  Last year the winning team at the biggest DOTA tournament walked away with a cheque for $10,000,000 (or one Diedhiou plus an Engvall).  At it's peak it had 5 million concurrent viewers - makes even the FIFA tournaments look small fry.

The amount of money in online gaming is crazy now. The 16 year old in the article who won the tournament has just signed a contract to represent the F2 Freestylers, from You Tube, and by the sounds of things had a multitude of different offers.

It is essentially people who are good at FIFA who have made it a profession. 

For City, I guess as the article suggests they could jump on the bandwagon. I wonder if they could use the massive screen in the sports bar to hold some of their own events? Could make some Wonga, or keep a few kids busy for an evening!

It’s basically playing a video game competitively. There are competitions which millions of people watch (don’t ask why) and these are for lots of different games like FIFA, Rocket League, League of Legends and I’m sure with how popular it is there will be an ESPORTS competition for Fortnite.

It's basically competitive computer gaming. The players have salaries, teams, coaches, psychologists, sponsorships etc. just like in football, and they join/leave teams as well regularly. There are governing bodies (often run by the makers of the game) who set the rules for the tournaments, similar to FIFA or whatever. It's huge in South Korea in particular, and their official government body to manage it is a member of their olympic committee. A few football clubs have some players now (notably Barcelona).

As someone earlier mentioned, it's getting huge now, with millions of viewers across the world and gigantic sponsorships (Mercedes, Coca Cola, Redbull, Intel etc.). It's growing much more quickly than I expected, and certainly beats when I used to watch grainy old Warcraft 3 and Starcraft videos and replays 15 years ago ;)

Some games are 1v1, some are team based - 5v5 for example. There are tournaments across the world on a regular basis. A large one is coming to Birmingham Arena in May, with a prize pool of around $1,000,000. Tickets sold out in under 10 minutes I think!

A lot of people are dismissive of it for some reason but I quite enjoy it - but then I've played games for a lot of my life.

48 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Just to note that an audio commentary of Eddie "Owl" Hitler playing Bristol City in Championship Manager 1993 will be broadcast by Bristol Community FM radio between 3am and 3.30am Saturday morning.

Tell all your friends.

He wasn't interested sorry

2 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Watch some competitive CSGO on YouTube.

The ESL finals are in a purposely built intel arena which holds 80k IIRC? I used to play CS around 15 years ago I can’t believe how huge it’s become.

Then go online and try to replicate their amazing crosshair positioning... and fail badly....

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

It gets MILLIONS of viewers. MILLIONS, not 18/19,000 on a Saturday, but MILLIONs from all over the globe, all the time.

Not just FIFA either but games like DOTA, Starcraft and League of Legends are the biggest.  Last year the winning team at the biggest DOTA tournament walked away with a cheque for $10,000,000 (or one Diedhiou plus an Engvall).  At it's peak it had 5 million concurrent viewers - makes even the FIFA tournaments look small fry.

Come on use the correct scale, get it in Tilsons

Quite simply put, there is a market for it so they are monetizing the interest in it. They are trying to roll out a franchise for overwatch league teams, the cost to bid for a franchise spot? only about $20mm.

I though this would be right up Bristol sports alley :)

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mlb-team-owner-invests-20-million-to-help-buy-an-o/1100-6453292/

Hang on...

So, if I understand this right it’s a bloke who’s not good enough/can’t be arsed to play football to a standard who then, instead, plays a computer game simulating players who are good enough.

I was sh!t hot at Streets of Rage 2 back in the day, but this seems to me to be sad in all fronts.

Archived