IGNORED

The Middlesbrough FC v Bristol City FC Match Day Thread 43

Septic Peg

Good morning folks!

Do you know either of the terms 'gashead' or 'smoggy'? I bet you recognise one of them but not the other however they are extremely similar in their creations and foundations...

Middlesbrough have long been rivals with the two main north east clubs - Newcastle United and Sunderland although strictly speaking, Boro are not a north eastern club. Middlesbrough is actually located in North Yorkshire, although it literally sits on the border of County Durham.

Being a northern town, Middlesbrough has roots in the manufacturing industry, specifically steel production and petrochemical production. In fact, it was in Middlesbrough that the famous Tyne Bridge parts were forged.

Because of the dominance of factories, the air pollution or smog from chimney stacks was incredible. So visiting Sunderland fans one day began to shout at Boro fans about it. They called them 'smog monsters' which was soon shortened to smoggies. Just like our neighbours across the river when we started calling them gasheads - referencing the gas smell that floated over Eastville - the derogatory term was taken on board and now Boro fans and residents of Middlesbrough refer to themselves as smoggies.

On to today.

We're coming off the back of a good performance and Boro are right up there with us. So I'll say a 2-2 draw, though a sneaky Boro goal might just tip it for them...

Coyrs...

9 minutes ago, freezer said:

Thanks for that Peg.

I have a vision......City will win today 1 nil. The goal will be scored by a man....or wo man.

City to win today 1-0, we seem to have a good record against them. Hopefully it will continue 

37 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

It's also the town I'd least like to live in. I used to get a warm fluffy feeling every time I got into the car to leave. 

3-0 :sad26:

Information such as getting a warm fluffy feelings in your car should not be mentioned on the forum. Remember, children may be reading 

18 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Exciting and interesing game. Its all about top six. Having last game in mind i see gotta chance to win 35-65. Hope offcause for a win but a draw can be ok. Famara and Pack to score? Always believe, COYR!!!

Hell of a scoreline you're predicting there Chris (can I call you Chris?) Might stick a fiver on it. Or are you thinking of the basketball?

Not sure what the weather is like up there compared to down here but it looks like perfect footballing conditions.

Traore & Bamford are the danger men to keep quiet, do that effectively and we're in with a real chance. Got to be patient, take the confidence from the Birmingham win and keep the belief! Despite everything going slightly awry in the last couple of months, we've still got a real opportunity. Let's see how much the players want this.

COYR!! 2-0 City!  :city:

Biggest league game of the season, a real "must win" game. Nothing less will do. If LJ and his coaching staff cannot get the team "up" for this game, by which I mean a real fighting effort with nothing left on the pitch, then they never will.

Archived