IGNORED

Season of two halves

Jerseybean

This is written with a genuine desire for constructive suggestions.

It is clear that up until Christmas we were generally playing attractive and effective football which was good to watch and resulted in points. 

Since Christmas we have generally looked bereft of ideas, played poorly and have not picked up many points.

The contrast has been stark and alarming.

The reasons for the two halves to our season are various and fans have aired their views on this forum about what has gone wrong and why. This post is not directly about entering into that debate. Rather, I would like to hear what others suggest we need to do in order to be consistent throughout the season and play with the ‘identity’ and style that served us so well for the first half of the season. If we’d been able to sustain this in 2018 we’d be very happy and successful.

Most clubs have a poor run at sometime during a season, this season (and last) our poor run has been staggeringly poor and prolonged.

So, to avoid this next season what would you suggest must be done? I am assuming, by the way, that LJ will be our manager next season, so can we please avoid the suggestion  ‘Johnson out’.

We did it vice versa to our usual way which is look like crap until the last quarter then pull out some amazing results to stave off the annual relegation threat.

At least we've not worried about that this season.

But I do worry about the psychological effect of ending up so weak.  Hardly encourages waverers to stay - or decent players to come.

23 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

This is written with a genuine desire for constructive suggestions.

It is clear that up until Christmas we were generally playing attractive and effective football which was good to watch and resulted in points. 

Since Christmas we have generally looked bereft of ideas, played poorly and have not picked up many points.

The contrast has been stark and alarming.

The reasons for the two halves to our season are various and fans have aired their views on this forum about what has gone wrong and why. This post is not directly about entering into that debate. Rather, I would like to hear what others suggest we need to do in order to be consistent throughout the season and play with the ‘identity’ and style that served us so well for the first half of the season. If we’d been able to sustain this in 2018 we’d be very happy and successful.

Most clubs have a poor run at sometime during a season, this season (and last) our poor run has been staggeringly poor and prolonged.

So, to avoid this next season what would you suggest must be done? I am assuming, by the way, that LJ will be our manager next season, so can we please avoid the suggestion  ‘Johnson out’.

Don't think you will get many replies to this sensible post. There are many reasons for the slump, some of which are understandable and perfectly acceptable, there may be reasons that we don't know about which are kept in the dressing room.

One key aspect that I think needs to be looked at is Motivation, clearly to play so well against the Manchester clubs required little other than self motivation, to then play so poorly particularly against teams who, on paper, we should have had a better than even chance of beating does beg the question 'can the coaching team motivate the players enough for them to beat teams they know they should be beating?'

If the two halves of the season were reversed, would there be such an outcry of disappointment as there now is? The fact is we have improved this season over last

SL has chosen to take the long term view with his football manager rather than the short term view he has taken with his rugby manager, why has he done that? The rugby manager has huge experience both as a player and coach, the football manager  much less so.

I don`t think we as supporters can ever have a hope in hell of knowing what to do to prevent it without knowing all the reasons for it happening in the first place which we never will.

Just got to go with the flow and hope for the best I guess - after all, it`s what I`ve been doing for the last forty five years of watching City.

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I don`t think we as supporters can ever have a hope in hell of knowing what to do to prevent it without knowing all the reasons for it happening in the first place which we never will..

Agree RRH but nor does the ahead Coach or his staff , which he has alluded to / admitted

Now that’s a worry after 3 1/2 month decline IMHO

Thanks to those who have posted thoughts on this.

Looking forward to next season my own top three hopes would be we:

1. Strengthen the squad, particularly with a couple of experienced/proven players who would  have the right personality to positively enhance our youngish squad
  2. Revert to the identity/style of play that served us well in the first half of the season and stick to it
  3. Cultivate a ‘harder edge’ (I don’t mean physically but mentally) which makes us much more resilient and far more difficult to beat

Archived