IGNORED

Pitch invasions football/rugby

AshtonPark

Bristol rugby won promotion, fans were allowed on the pitch following the presentation of the trophy, all happy and civil.

Now when cotts won us the double, the trophy presentation was guarded massively my stewards around the pitch etc. How dare any fan want to join the players happiness etc.

Both these scenes were at Ashton gate, both using the same stewards, no doubt even some of the same fans.

Why the difference? 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Stewards tried to keep them off tbh. Lined the pitch but as with football, when that many go on then short of putting up fences they will get on.

Agreed they weren’t allowed on as such, and a few heavy handed tackles were made by some Stewards trying to keep people off. There were also announcements asking for people not to go on the pitch and once they were they were asked to return to their seats.

I thought it was good that the club told people at the end of the match that the presentations were going to be infront of the Lansdown Stand, and that if anyone in the Dolman wanted to see to move (through the concourse) and go into the Lansdown for a better view, very fair I thought.

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

Agreed they weren’t allowed on as such, and a few heavy handed tackles were made by some Stewards trying to keep people off. There were also announcements asking for people not to go on the pitch and once they were they were asked to return to their seats.

I thought it was good that the club told people at the end of the match that the presentations were going to be infront of the Lansdown Stand, and that if anyone in the Dolman wanted to see to move (through the concourse) and go into the Lansdown for a better view, very fair I thought.

Quite so.

The club wouldn't want people on the pitch... It's expensive and delicate. Especially with football matches still to be played on it.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Quite so.

The club wouldn't want people on the pitch... It's expensive and delicate. Especially with football games still to be played on it.

Exactly. I did hope the groundsman and his staff were locked in a dark room and didn’t see. 

I was there and an announcement came over the tannoy to stay off the pitch as it does with football.

Not as many did venture onto the pitch as with football so the stewards seemed to accept it and just let them go around with the players.

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Quite so.

The club wouldn't want people on the pitch... It's expensive and delicate. Especially with football matches still to be played on it.

Its ok we no longer play the ball on the ground.

It's only a criminal offence for spectators to go on to the pitch at football matches, not rugby. 

At Rugby it's considered as high spirits. The Club asked spectators to stay off the pitch but a couple of hundred of the very well behaved rugby fans, mostly young ones, decided to stick two fingers up at the club! 

Just as irresponsible and unable to comply with what is asked for over the public address as some football fans. 

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It's only a criminal offence for spectators to go on to the pitch at football matches, not rugby. 

At Rugby it's considered as high spirits. The Club asked spectators to stay off the pitch but a couple of hundred of the very well behaved rugby fans, mostly young ones, decided to stick two fingers up at the club! 

Just as irresponsible and unable to comply with what is asked for over the public address as some football fans. 

High jinks from the born to rule, damn fine rugger chaps.

23 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Correct. It isn't against the rules in rugby.

That said, pitch invasions in rugby are really quite rare.

(Personally, I have no issues with an end of season pitch invasion in football or rugby).

Rugby fans know how to behave ... that is why you see the crowd with beers and ciders in hand watching the game.  And no segregation ... and hardly a police officer in sight ... even for the Anglo Welsh derbies.  It is a whole different ball game so to speak ... If you said to rugby fans "loads of fans heading towards the away fans" it would make no sense ... both sets of fans are sat side by side ... Is there any other sport where these is crowd segregation, a ban on alcohol, the urge to attack rival supporters, etc.  And even in football it doesn't happen at the vast majority of non league games.  It is very sad ... 

Football supporters do get a raw deal though, in general.

I believe the OP though is not entirely correct in their post... Requests in buildup to, during and at end of game to stay off.

Stewards moved down front to try to prevent it as well. Enterprising pitch invadees just finds gaps and goes through however.

1 hour ago, Jarman said:

Rugby fans know how to behave ... that is why you see the crowd with beers and ciders in hand watching the game.  And no segregation ... and hardly a police officer in sight ... even for the Anglo Welsh derbies.  It is a whole different ball game so to speak ... If you said to rugby fans "loads of fans heading towards the away fans" it would make no sense ... both sets of fans are sat side by side ... Is there any other sport where these is crowd segregation, a ban on alcohol, the urge to attack rival supporters, etc.  And even in football it doesn't happen at the vast majority of non league games.  It is very sad ... 

Which of course is why the rugby authorities are considering banning alcohol in stadiums due to the trouble being caused as result of it, particularly at the Millennium. I also suggest you take a look at what the police have to say regarding the relative issues relating to football and rugby fans.

Just jolly lads having a few japes I expect though.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Which of course is why the rugby authorities are considering banning alcohol in stadiums due to the trouble being caused as result of it, particularly at the Millennium. I also suggest you take a look at what the police have to say regarding the relative issues relating to football and rugby fans.

Rugby is so tedious, I guess you need to be shitfaced to watch it.

2 hours ago, Jarman said:

What about the Exeter rugby gone game where arrests were made due to fighting in the ground? 

2 hours ago, Jarman said:

You're a clown.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

The only edge with Rugby I've experienced is when it's involved the Welsh.  That's more to do with their overbearing inferiority complex than Rugby vs Football.  

Archived