IGNORED

We Actually All Agree

The Original OTIB

We are not good enough to go up. Faction 1 thinks this is because of poor recruitment / under investment, Faction 2 thinks that incremental steps are acceptable and "we are where we are". The problem with Faction 1 is that throwing money is clearly a gamble, the problem with Faction 2 is that the best players do not stick around for 10th place or thereabouts; in itself a gamble with the drop if you hope to develop players and it does not work out. Where is the middle ground in the two factions?

4 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

We are not good enough to go up. Faction 1 thinks this is because of poor recruitment / under investment, Faction 2 thinks that incremental steps are acceptable and "we are where we are". The problem with Faction 1 is that throwing money is clearly a gamble, the problem with Faction 2 is that the best players do not stick around for 10th place or thereabouts; in itself a gamble with the drop if you hope to develop players and it does not work out. Where is the middle ground in the two factions?

There is no middle ground. In life you either strive to succeed or don't bother your arse

December I was hoping a failing prem club would tempt LJ away now I’m looking  forward to another lack lustre season and dashed hopes, looking at team choices and senseless substitutions, same mistakes repeated over and over, we all see the mistakes he makes so do the players!

LJ needed to learn and gain experience when he came here but he has not learnt anything and for the second season following there seems to be huge gulf between him and the dressing room - most of the squad are experienced and know what they do best!

its a huge detriment to the team that his tactics are wrong and his game plan is badly implemented, confidence has to suffer!

What is it going to take for SL to change things? I fear next season will be the drop, SL has his premiership team.

16 minutes ago, dave36 said:

December I was hoping a failing prem club would tempt LJ away now I’m looking  forward to another lack lustre season and dashed hopes, looking at team choices and senseless substitutions, same mistakes repeated over and over, we all see the mistakes he makes so do the players!

LJ needed to learn and gain experience when he came here but he has not learnt anything and for the second season following there seems to be huge gulf between him and the dressing room - most of the squad are experienced and know what they do best!

its a huge detriment to the team that his tactics are wrong and his game plan is badly implemented, confidence has to suffer!

What is it going to take for SL to change things? I fear next season will be the drop, SL has his premiership team.

Presumably you did back in August too?

I think the first half of the season we were good enough to, capitulation in the second half is the worry, injuries aside what has happened again at Ashton gate. Do the layers want to play for the club/manager someone knows what's going on. A realistic opportunity and it has gone. Is this going o happen next season or is LJ a cotterill and his limit is league one first half results say no but?

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Faction 4 thinks the manager isn't as good as he thinks he is. And certainly not as good as Pep politely suggested. 

To be fair, after 3 defeats in a week, including going out of the Champions League & losing at home in your local derby, perhaps Pep is not quite as good as some people made him out to be, let alone what he thought of LJ.

On the other hand, we were pretty much the first team to show up the Man City defence, which Klopp obviously took note of with his successful "my attacking players are better than yours" tactics, even if the Liverpool defence is not the greatest either.

4 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

middle of the road.

17 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

To be fair, after 3 defeats in a week, including going out of the Champions League & losing at home in your local derby, perhaps Pep is not quite as good as some people made him out to be, let alone what he thought of LJ.

On the other hand, we were pretty much the first team to show up the Man City defence, which Klopp obviously took note of with his successful "my attacking players are better than yours" tactics, even if the Liverpool defence is not the greatest either.

So were judging pep on 3 games rather than his whole career? Seems fair

4 hours ago, hodge said:

That's too sensible for this forum, get outta here with your logic

4 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

We're good enough to go up if we go up. If we're not good enough to go up we don't go up.

He missed out go down & play with the rovers. We are poor next season will tell if stay the same. 

9 hours ago, Packman said:

We’ve smashed Fulham twice this season, on our day we would have a chance.

Yes, we smashed them 1-1 in a game we just shaded at AG. In which they had far more possession than us. And four times as many shots on target as us.
But, yes, we would have a chance against anyone on our day.

Buy a couple of experienced players who have been there and done that when it comes to promotion from this league. Go to players who will help our youngsters. Get the experience on the pitch that we haven't got on the dug out. Johnson, Holden and McAllister have no idea how to win a promotion between them 

10 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Lets face it we wouldn't stand a chance in the playoffs

Maybe, but i was hoping we would make it. It would have been a fantastic achievement and would have created such a buzz around the club. We’ve gone to pieces though!

Certainly City are a club that seem to build up a head of steam, be it upwards or downwards, and the form we’ve shown since Christmas is approaching relegation form. A mid table finish doesn’t really tell the story of what’s gone on.

Clearly the levels of expectation were raised a level that even most City fans thought were artificial, but even the most pessimistic must be surprised how bad things can get when the wheels fall off. 

The January transfer window was a disaster. A flagging squad in much need of a pep me up were handed a curious assortment of players that did little to strengthen, and to most, actually appeared to do the complete opposite. But we have a policy and we’re sticking to it, (clearly there isn’t a clause that states “except when you find yourself in second place and let’s go for it)

There are those who say that we are stronger now than a year ago. I would question that. We are mid table, but our form is not. Our squad will be weaker after our best players leave and we set about replacing them in transfer market. 

One positive I take away is that our academy does appear to be producing some pretty impressive players worthy of the Premiership. Plus, Johnson must be given credit for bringing in the stat people who suggested that Bobby should be tried up front. 

To sum up. 2017 Brilliant, 2018, not so much.

Am I looking forward to next season?  Answer: No. 

2 hours ago, Red7 said:

Yes, we smashed them 1-1 in a game we just shaded at AG. In which they had far more possession than us. And four times as many shots on target as us.
But, yes, we would have a chance against anyone on our day.

Man City had more possession than Liverpool!! What’s your point? We had much more possession than Millwall, remind me how that game went. We were far superior to Fulham in both games, they didn’t know what hit them at AG and we should have won convincingly.

2 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Buy a couple of experienced players who have been there and done that when it comes to promotion from this league. Go to players who will help our youngsters. Get the experience on the pitch that we haven't got on the dug out. Johnson, Holden and McAllister have no idea how to win a promotion between them 

wont happen though, at AG the young teachers don't like being taught by the scholars

Archived