IGNORED

Baker

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Unlike many on here, I am not a massive Baker fan. Loses a surprising amount of aerial battles, and often just does not get close enough to his man to at least put him off from having an easy flick on. He doesn't seem willing to want to play when not at 100%. He has made a number of bad errors recently, but he certainly made mistakes earlier in the season as well. He often dives into challenges when he should stay on his feet.

What’s stuck in my mind was the Wolves winner at AG. 

Great ball in by Douglas and Bennett has an easy header because Baker hunches over and doesn’t properly challenge for it despite knowing he was standing behind him before the kick was taken.

Appreciate all players make mistakes but that was the time when I thought he’s maybe not as good as I thought he was.

(That defeat and Nuno celebration was hard to take).

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Flint has hunger and real desire @Nogbad the Bad - a ‘winner’ who you’d want to be with in any battle (With the remarkable ability to do so without rash challenges , bookings or ill discipline (Save one recent occasion !)

Priceless attributes in my book and one of the reasons he’s improved season upon season

Many will disagree but when Flint goes LJ has more than one almighty hole to fill IMHO

( Bobby Reid has also become almost irreplaceable - dependent on whether the high press plan is ever reintroduced)

Flint blotted his copy book recently but 1 red card in 230 odd City appearances is still a superb record for a CB. For an ultra competitive, battling player his yellow card count is also remarkably small which shows a consistent and mature temperament.

If he does go, as seems likely, it will indeed leave an 'almighty hole' - he's a unique character and very much a fit for Bristol City. We'd likely sign a reasonable CB, in the Baker mould, but it's unlikely we could find one with all Flint's qualities. Will to win and leadership are intrinsic to his character - captain in all but name - and his presence on the pitch surely positively affects the attitude of others.

I can't think of any other City players who we can rely on to show the spirit and leadership traits that Flint does, and looking around at the lack of those traits in so many of his team mates his absence alone will cost us points and lead to a lower finish next season.

I didn't rate Bobby Reid at all in midfield and often said so on here, but there's no doubt he has been a revelation up front, and fully deserves all the plaudits. We've also seen a considerable increase in his work rate and stamina. Unfortunately the wild slash at the death yesterday was typical of his finishing every season until this one, but that aside he's had a wonderful season and, presuming the improvement we've seen this year is his new norm he's now one of our best, most consistent and most important players.

We'll be back to fighting a relegation battle if both Bobby and Flint are sold imo.

Archived