IGNORED

LJ has conned us all!

Top Robin

Lee has conned Steve Lansdowne, Bristol City and us the fans by alleging to be a proficient manager with the requisite skills to move this club forward.

I presume his interview for the job would have covered his ability to purchase the right players, develop players, pick the best team and shape for the particular opposition, employ the right tactics, motivate the team and individuals and enforce the right mindset. 

Unfortunately, it is clear that up to this point he had failed in most of these areas and Steve must be starting to feel that he has been slightly deceived and wondering if he has got the right man at the helm.

As fans, his appointment was met with split opinions and I for one was up for giving him a chance and even more after his first couple of interviews where he came across really well and spoke of exciting times ahead. 

Ok, we started this season well and punctuated it with a decent cup run but the joy of all that has been completely erased by a horrendous 2018 where we have looked as bad as we did last season when we had that disastrous losing streak.  And this is the worry......Lee can't seem to bottle, replicate and sustain any success that we get. He then conspires to tinker and change the team each week where it quickly looks like he is running out of ideas and just trying something he hasn't done before. Some of his starting line ups have been bizarre as have his substitutions. This is just not good enough for a championship manager.

So I'm afraid that I can't see Lee taking us forward any further.

1 minute ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Blame lies with the players. They’ve had ample opportunity to make the playoffs but they kept blowing it 

Its an interesting one. Are you saying the hoofball yesterday was the player's choice of tactic? 

LJ has abandoned our strengths. Our players don't do hoofball well. 

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Its an interesting one. Are you saying the hoofball yesterday was the player's choice of tactic? 

LJ has abandoned our strengths. Our players don't do hoofball well. 

Yes you’re right there. But....is it possible that he did that to try and get us into the playoffs with 4 games to go?

if we had held leads against Sunderland and Leeds for example we’d be in the playoffs now.

Another thought is that our players just aren’t good enough - especially a creative midfielder with the knack of scoring goals and a proven goal scorer - with pace and powerful finishing. 

Both of these things we have been crying out for over the past few Transfer windows and not succeeded in either attracting or securing deals. 

Not since a fit Baldock or Maynard have we really had a clinical striker who could create their own chances or out run a defender!

9 minutes ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Yes you’re right there. But....is it possible that he did that to try and get us into the playoffs with 4 games to go?

if we had held leads against Sunderland and Leeds for example we’d be in the playoffs now.

Beaten woeful teams like Burton (home and away) lesser teams Bolton, Norwich, Ipswich, Barnsley etc we would be auto promotion. 

Capitulation... Simples

2 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Another thought is that our players just aren’t good enough - especially a creative midfielder with the knack of scoring goals and a proven goal scorer - with pace and powerful finishing. 

Both of these things we have been crying out for over the past few Transfer windows and not succeeded in either attracting or securing deals. 

Not since a fit Baldock or Maynard have we really had a clinical striker who could create their own chances or out run a defender!

JK .

2 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Fielding is average

Overrated "experienced" defenders need replacing with players that give a shite. 

More physical players in midfield. 

Another proven striker alongside or to replace Bobby. 

There are a dozen "keepers" for me at best from what lve seen this season. 

44 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

@Top Robin is actually a gas head by the way. 

OTIB poster doesn’t like or agree with another’s view so immediately responds and only responds in calling him a ‘Gas head ‘

The OP has Over 600 posts and 700 likes - A busy Gashead

Fed up with it and it’s use by some

A pathetic and immature response and insult

As for the original post @Top Robin

When I saw the title and read your post , I did think blimey, brave ...... harsh :whistle:..?.....brutal ....?....maybe

But I have to be honest , when I break down what you’re saying or certainly most of it I struggle to disagree with you (You don’t mention coaching ability but Tbf I dothink he and/or his assistants have demonstrated there clearly is some, ) and I’d suggest many on here on reflection will think on similar lines to varying degrees, whether they admit is is a different matter 

A maybe ruthless but brave post - whatever else and any eventual outcome - Tbf He hasn’t set out to con anyone and I am sure his intentions totally good and honourable

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

Lee has conned Steve Lansdowne, Bristol City and us the fans by alleging to be a proficient manager with the requisite skills to move this club forward.

I presume his interview for the job would have covered his ability to purchase the right players, develop players, pick the best team and shape for the particular opposition, employ the right tactics, motivate the team and individuals and enforce the right mindset. 

Unfortunately, it is clear that up to this point he had failed in most of these areas and Steve must be starting to feel that he has been slightly deceived and wondering if he has got the right man at the helm.

As fans, his appointment was met with split opinions and I for one was up for giving him a chance and even more after his first couple of interviews where he came across really well and spoke of exciting times ahead. 

Ok, we started this season well and punctuated it with a decent cup run but the joy of all that has been completely erased by a horrendous 2018 where we have looked as bad as we did last season when we had that disastrous losing streak.  And this is the worry......Lee can't seem to bottle, replicate and sustain any success that we get. He then conspires to tinker and change the team each week where it quickly looks like he is running out of ideas and just trying something he hasn't done before. Some of his starting line ups have been bizarre as have his substitutions. This is just not good enough for a championship manager.

Firstly...he hasnt conned anyone. LJ came here with what he believed was the skill set to take this club forward. I dont doubt for one second he believed he couldnt do it...as in that line of work, you have to believe in yourself and your methods otherwise you will go no where

Your right in respect that his appointment split the fan base. I said at the time...only Holloway would have split the fans more. It was a brave decision to appoint him as...like we are seeing right now...if he doesnt hit the ground running and keep running, the knives are out from the people who really didnt want him here in the first place.

Will he get the boot? No. But even the most pro-Johnson fan must admit....this summer and the start of next season is make or break for him here at City. 

My opinion...he is not good enough and I cant see how he can turn this slump around. We simply cant afford to take this into next season. If we start off the way we are finishing...we will be in a relegation scrap next year.

26 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Firstly...he hasnt conned anyone. LJ came here with what he believed was the skill set to take this club forward. I dont doubt for one second he believed he couldnt do it...as in that line of work, you have to believe in yourself and your methods otherwise you will go no where

Your right in respect that his appointment split the fan base. I said at the time...only Holloway would have split the fans more. It was a brave decision to appoint him as...like we are seeing right now...if he doesnt hit the ground running and keep running, the knives are out from the people who really didnt want him here in the first place.

Will he get the boot? No. But even the most pro-Johnson fan must admit....this summer and the start of next season is make or break for him here at City. 

My opinion...he is not good enough and I cant see how he can turn this slump around. We simply cant afford to take this into next season. If we start off the way we are finishing...we will be in a relegation scrap next year.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The total extremes are what makes me question LJ TBH. In the first half of the season, we were superb which makes me assume the playing staff ARE good enough while the second half of the season has been dire, let's be honest here. The fact that LJ has had these poor runs before, both with us and with his previous clubs are what bothers me. He doesn't seem to be able to arrest a poor run of form and that doesn't make him a good Manager although the form up until Xmas would suggest he is.

I don't pretend to know the answers but the alarming slump since the new year really has alarmed me and the fact LJ hasn't been able to do anything about it makes me hope that MA and SL put friendships aside at their review and ask some seriously awkward questions of our head coach. The problem is that we, the supporters, fans, customers, will never get to hear the content of that review.

33 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

OTIB poster doesn’t like or agree with another’s view so immediately responds and only responds in calling him a ‘Gas head ‘

The OP has Over 600 posts and 700 likes - A busy Gashead

Fed up with it and it’s use by some

A pathetic and immature response and insult

As for the original post @Top Robin

When I saw the title and read your post , I did think blimey, brave ...... harsh :whistle:..?.....brutal ....?....maybe

But I have to be honest , when I break down what you’re saying or certainly most of it I struggle to disagree with you (You don’t mention coaching ability but Tbf I dothink he and/or his assistants have demonstrated there clearly is some, ) and I’d suggest many on here on reflection will think on similar lines to varying degrees, whether they admit is is a different matter 

A maybe ruthless but brave post - whatever else and any eventual outcome - Tbf He hasn’t set out to con anyone and I am sure his intentions totally good and honourable

A good coach? Probably

A Good manager? Less likely

Team over-achieves first part of season, has a cup run, then fades away. Not an uncommon tale really. The club is definitely progressing, some promising younger players coming through, and we are competitive against clubs with a bigger budget in a tough league. Been a disappointing end to the season, but not worth endless threads of doom and gloom and sack the manager. Enjoy the positives 

after making perfectly reasonable points a lot that I agree with am amazed at the number of snakes and rubbish icons you got, if they sum up the evidence like that I hope none of them ever do jury service.

As well as his tactical limitations, I think that Lee's problem may also be motivating some of the players.  They don't seem to be coming out revved up and his half time talks dont seem to produce an extra effort in the second half.

I think players remuneration is also an issue due to the fact that they get paid so much even if they dont perform.  Would it not be possible to give them contracts with lowerbasics and more for wins and league position or would they not come to us or stay on this basis? It certainly annoys me to know how much they have been paid since Christmas for such ineptitude.

Speak for yourself, but you don’t speak for “us all”.

He's a salesman selling himself all the time. 

I work with people who I think how did they get that top job because they haven't really got the ability to do it and then I sit in meetings and they have the same ability as Lee Johnson in that they talk the talk all the time surround themselves with decent people who can actually do the job and delegate all the time hence why Holden's been doing much of the press. 

If you continually tell people you're the best man for the job with confidence a lot of people will buy into it.

14 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

As well as his tactical limitations, I think that Lee's problem may also be motivating some of the players.  They don't seem to be coming out revved up and his half time talks dont seem to produce an extra effort in the second half.

I think players remuneration is also an issue due to the fact that they get paid so much even if they dont perform.  Would it not be possible to give them contracts with lowerbasics and more for wins and league position or would they not come to us or stay on this basis? It certainly annoys me to know how much they have been paid since Christmas for such ineptitude.

Yep performance related pay. Better return on investment too. 

Some of them should take a long hard look at themselves... 

8 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Firstly...he hasnt conned anyone. LJ came here with what he believed was the skill set to take this club forward. I dont doubt for one second he believed he could do it...as in that line of work, you have to believe in yourself and your methods otherwise you will go no where

In which case LJ over rated himself, as there was nothing he could point to on his CV to indicate he was anything but an average 3rd division manager, and a novice one at that.

That over confidence, ironically, was probably partly instilled by SL who it seems had not only indicated to LJ that he would be manager of BCFC one day, but had also apparently personally given him trial interviews before he applied for the Oldham job.

You can only imagine what advice he may have given. LJ was very young and had no managerial experience, so how could he possibly sell himself in a business when there are always experienced managers out of work? Well, he could stress his Dad was a well known and fairly successful manager, he'd spent most of his career playing under him so he'd seen at first hand exactly what worked in management, and what were the pitfalls, so although he had zero experience himself, football management was ingrained in him. Then it was all about confidence, speaking impressively, stressing how innovative you were, the new methods you'd introduce, courses you'd been on etc.

Basically talk yourself into the job and take it from there.

Once he'd cut his teeth in OK, but sporadic, fashion at Oldham and Barnsley and got favourable publicity in the media - funny how LJ gets praised to the skies nationally when doing well, but his inevitable downturns are largely ignored - the City job was always there for the taking.

At the end of the day what we fans think of LJ, how we rate his suitability for the job, and his progress, is irrelevant. LJ only has to impress SL, and it may be that the bar for doing so is not set particularly high.

25 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Would absolutely be a great idea WRR

if you can get a modern day player and his agent to sign it 

Good Luck !

Modern day player will want a big basic and big bonuses

;)

( The Swansea side of the 80s tha5 went from Div 4 to Div 1 had a double up win bonus

Whatever it started at then £10for a win or whatever , win again next week it’s £20, win a third game in a row £40 and so on

Remarkably they repeatedly had 4 /6 / 8 / 19 games winning runs :whistle:

Archived