IGNORED

The LJ Poll

old_eastender

Surprised nobody has done this so here goes...   

665 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

IIRC, he totally dismissed the 'customers' last season when they asked for LJ's head on a plate so I don't think he would remove him, even if we were bottom. What was the phrase? 'It's my club' or something?

A brave decision that was vindicated with comfortable survival last season and a higher placing this year.

Those same customers also broadly supported the appointments of Sean O’Driscoll and Derek McInnes while not favouring the appointment of Steve Cotterill. Proof that in this case the customer is not always right.

We are not shareholders and it is not a democracy. It IS his club, he pours in the millions and that gives him the right to have the final say on difficult decisions.

Oh and he is on record as saying LJ’s position was considered last season. Contrary to the unfounded “he’s here whatever happens” myth that some continue to perpetuate, if we’re bottom next season is fully expect him to go - and rightly so.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

A brave decision that was vindicated with comfortable survival last season and a higher placing this year.

Those same customers also broadly supported the appointments of Sean O’Driscoll and Derek McInnes while not favouring the appointment of Steve Cotterill. Proof that in this case the customer is not always right.

We are not shareholders and it is not a democracy. It IS his club, he pours in the millions and that gives him the right to have the final say on difficult decisions.

Oh and he is on record as saying LJ’s position was considered last season. Contrary to the unfounded “he’s here whatever happens” myth that some continue to perpetuate, if we’re bottom next season is fully expect him to go - and rightly so.

FWIW CR, I'm not knocking his decision, although I wanted him removed at the time. It just make me think SL might accept relegation rather than remove LJ. 

I'm genuinely not sure whether I want him to stay or not TBH, I genuinely don't know so mine isn't an anti LJ stance.

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

FWIW CR, I'm not knocking his decision, although I wanted him removed at the time. It just make me think SL might accept relegation rather than remove LJ. 

I'm genuinely not sure whether I want him to stay or not TBH, I genuinely don't know so mine isn't an anti LJ stance.

Fair enough. I don’t think SL would accept relegation though. Had LJ taken us down last year I’m almost certain he’d have gone.

I’m fairly ambivalent about LJ’s future myself. I actually quite like the idea of a Mick McCarthy type appointment. Genuine experience and a proven track record at this level. I wouldn’t lose any sleep if LJ went and McCarthy came in.

He’s taken us a step further then last season. I’m confident that keeping him in charge is the best result. Who’s to say change will guarantee success? Look at Brum, Derby, Norwich, Sunderland. Changed manager, either this season or last season and are still in the same position. 

It costs a hell of a lot of money to replace a manager. 

1 minute ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

He’s taken us a step further then last season. I’m confident that keeping him in charge is the best result. Who’s to say change will guarantee success? Look at Brum, Derby, Norwich, Sunderland. Changed manager, either this season or last season and are still in the same position. 

It costs a hell of a lot of money to replace a manager. 

I do think this is a good point. I have been into football since the 1989 - 1990 season. I looked it up the other week and I think we have had 17 permanent managers in that time. For all his faults, I think LJ is definitely in the top five. Part of that is admittedly due to some awful appointments but even many of those looked like good appointments on paper and one could easily argue the three that worked out best were the three that made the least sense on paper. If we change managers, we could just as easily end up work someone who does worse as someone who does better. I have said elsewhere I want LJ to stay but he needs to prove he can improve us again next season. If we take a step backwards then I think his time is up. But Christ only knows whether the next manager will take us to the next level or undo the progress we have made.

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Fair enough. I don’t think SL would accept relegation though. Had LJ taken us down last year I’m almost certain he’d have gone.

I’m fairly ambivalent about LJ’s future myself. I actually quite like the idea of a Mick McCarthy type appointment. Genuine experience and a proven track record at this level. I wouldn’t lose any sleep if LJ went and McCarthy came in.

SL did say that he probably wouldn't have sacked him even if we'd been relegated last season. Next season is another matter as he has had more time and resources 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I do think this is a good point. I have been into football since the 1989 - 1990 season. I looked it up the other week and I think we have had 17 permanent managers in that time. For all his faults, I think LJ is definitely in the top five. Part of that is admittedly due to some awful appointments but even many of those looked like good appointments on paper and one could easily argue the three that worked out best were the three that made the least sense on paper. If we change managers, we could just as easily end up work someone who does worse as someone who does better. I have said elsewhere I want LJ to stay but he needs to prove he can improve us again next season. If we take a step backwards then I think his time is up. But Christ only knows whether the next manager will take us to the next level or undo the progress we have made.

And that’s football for you! 

Burton wouldn’t be in the championship if it wasn’t for Hasselbaink, Rowett and Clough. One bad change and they could easily be back in League 2. 

Changing managers is dangerous as fans expect success (see Copouts appointment and SoD’s) given the position we are in compared to when LJ took charge it’s the right direction. 

Im sure SL is taking notes whilst reading otib ...LJ is fireproof whatever happens so we all need to get used to it.

Funnily enough I think LJ gets a lot of stick because he is unsackable. His overall record is a bit shite but he isnt the worst ever manager. I think the fact he isnt really accountable is what boils the piss of some.

13 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Im sure SL is taking notes whilst reading otib ...LJ is fireproof whatever happens so we all need to get used to it.

Funnily enough I think LJ gets a lot of stick because he is unsackable. His overall record is a bit shite but he isnt the worst ever manager. I think the fact he isnt really accountable is what boils the piss of some.

Someone posted his record for us compared to previous managers in what must have covered a 20 year period. At Championship level, LJ actually has one of it not the best win %.

1 minute ago, joeyb said:

Someone posted his record for us compared to previous managers in what must have covered a 20 year period. At Championship level, LJ actually has one of it not the best win %.

Stats..dont you love em. People alarmed at the terrible slumps arent bothered by the fact we have by and large recruited bad managers over the period you refer to much of which was as a third division club. I bet Danny Wilsons win ratio smashes nearly everyone and he had a squad full of local kids and academy products. He let us down was shown the door. Thats how it works for anyone but LJ. By the way what was Pembos win ratio ?..

Archived