IGNORED

The LJ Poll

old_eastender

Surprised nobody has done this so here goes...   

665 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Don't you think with all three options being some form of sacking him a little tilted and puerile?

How is option 3 a form of sacking him

:yawn:

Maybe start your own poll

Something like 

If we are giving LJ a new contract should it be for 

3 yrs

5 yrs

7 yrs

:thumbsup:

(apologise in advance that I won’t vote as I havnt on this )

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

How is option 3 a form of sacking him

:yawn:

Maybe start your own poll

Something like 

If we are giving LJ a new contract should it be for 

3 yrs

5 yrs

7 yrs

:thumbsup:

(apologise in advance that I won’t vote as I havnt on this )

Add another box "whatever he wants".

Pointless poll to be honest. I’m sure the same thing was put up last season and where we’re we after 10 games this? Fact of the matter is you can’t judge a manager on 10 games, it has to be a full season. If we aren’t challenging for top 6 next season all season then he’ll have to go. By that I mean no terrible runs like 2018. If it happens again and we blow a play off spot and slide down the table, that’s the time for change. 

3 minutes ago, Negan said:

Pointless poll to be honest. I’m sure the same thing was put up last season and where we’re we after 10 games this? Fact of the matter is you can’t judge a manager on 10 games, it has to be a full season. If we aren’t challenging for top 6 next season all season then he’ll have to go. By that I mean no terrible runs like 2018. If it happens again and we blow a play off spot and slide down the table, that’s the time for change. 

Have I got this right .

So it would be sackable for him to to get in the top six for virtually all the season again but fall out of them on a bad run

But it would be ok to be , say ,  bottom after 10 games ?

:blink:

48 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Loaded poll, with no questions/options about what happens if we build on or succeed

I'll pass.

Very valid point. 

I don't think any of these decisions are black or white. We could be 6th from bottom after 10 games and only a couple of wins off the play offs with a sizeable buffer to the bottom 3 or we could be 6th from bottom 1 point from bottom 3 and miles off the play offs.

For goodness sake, he took over a club who looked like relegation candidates, with no real history of (at least not recent) of success in the championship and in two full seasons has us as a team who have challenged for the playoffs/promotion for nearly the whole season. What are your expectations? I would suggest that if they are above where we are now then it actually down to the success and performance LJ has managed to get from the players earlier this season.

This season in the Championship 11 managerial tenures have ended since the start of the season (including 2 at Birmingham). Of those 10 clubs, only three find themselves in a higher position now than when the manager left.

Those three are:

• Middlesbrough - 9th > 5th
  • Birmingham - 23rd (Redknapp leaves) > 22nd (Cotterill leaves) > 21st
  • Hull - 20th > 18th

Then you could look at say, Brentford, who were 19th after ten games, or Fulham who were 16th after 15 games, or Millwall who were 18th after 15 games. Bet their fans are wishing they'd ditched their managers.

My point is that it is not cut and dry, you can't say "If we are in X position after Y matches then Johnson needs to go".  Replacing a manger is far from a guarantee of improvement.  It needs to be a considered decision taking account of a number of factors.

3 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Give him to Mid-October and if he is in the bottom 3 then it’s time up. That will be 5 transfer windows and going backwards, so it should be time to go then.

Pretty much agree, gives him another window,pre season and time to gel.
TBF , although I didn't agree with keeping him , I think SL is right.  in trying to get some continuity , we've had enough managers over the years I understand he wants to stop that. Thing is everyone knows this season on season of bad runs, can't go on, I include SL in that.  I do think though it will take a very bad start for Lansdown to pull the trigger.

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Fair enough. I don’t think SL would accept relegation though. Had LJ taken us down last year I’m almost certain he’d have gone.

I’m fairly ambivalent about LJ’s future myself. I actually quite like the idea of a Mick McCarthy type appointment. Genuine experience and a proven track record at this level. I wouldn’t lose any sleep if LJ went and McCarthy came in.

Mick McCarthy would be an excellent appointment for us. Would sack LJ tommorow if McCarthy was his successor :yes:

52 minutes ago, bris red said:

Mick McCarthy would be an excellent appointment for us. Would sack LJ tommorow if McCarthy was his successor :yes:

Why would Mick McCarthy be a good manager for us as he has just been hounded out of Ipswich by fans who didn't think he was right/good enough for them.

Ipswich are 9 points behind us so if we've had such a bad season we should sack LJ how bad is Mick McCarthy?

13 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Why would Mick McCarthy be a good manager for us as he has just been hounded out of Ipswich by fans who didn't think he was right/good enough for them.

Ipswich are 9 points behind us so if we've had such a bad season we should sack LJ how bad is Mick McCarthy?

You obviously know nothing about the restraints he has had to work under at Ipswich. Marcus evans there owner consistently showed no real substantial backing financially  to McCarthy meaning he was working on a shoe string budget pretty much for the whole time he was there. All that considered ipswich have never been in a relegation dogfight in his tenure and even made the play offs a few seasons back.. McCarthy here with the right backing would do an excellent job, a man who has been there and done it at this level.

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Jesus, Mick McCarthy.  I’m sure he’s a very nice man, but it’s hard to think of a less inspiring appointment for a club hoping to progress.  You might as well go for Pardew, or how about that nice Mr Pulis.

I want a young manager with the ability to think differently and I’ve seen enough from Lee Johnson in the past two seasons to think he may have the necessary qualities and, GIVEN TIME, might lead us into the promised land.  But this forum is dominated by sort-termism, people after a quick fix and no thought for the club’s longer term strategic development.  If Johnson fails ultimately then so be it, but if he does I hope another young coach will be given the chance to give us a future.  I am old enough to remember the bravery of the club in sticking with Alan Dicks for several seasons as the team struggled while he tried to build a young side for the future.  I also remember the same negativity from the fans during this period.  I hope the club has the resolve to stick to its guns.

9 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Jesus, Mick McCarthy.  I’m sure he’s a very nice man, but it’s hard to think of a less inspiring appointment for a club hoping to progress.  You might as well go for Pardew, or how about that nice Mr Pulis.

I want a young manager with the ability to think differently and I’ve seen enough from Lee Johnson in the past two seasons to think he may have the necessary qualities and, GIVEN TIME, might lead us into the promised land.  But this forum is dominated by sort-termism, people after a quick fix and no thought for the club’s longer term strategic development.  If Johnson fails ultimately then so be it, but if he does I hope another young coach will be given the chance to give us a future.  I am old enough to remember the bravery of the club in sticking with Alan Dicks for several seasons as the team struggled while he tried to build a young side for the future.  I also remember the same negativity from the fans during this period.  I hope the club has the resolve to stick to its guns.

I don’t really get the obsession with having a young coach. That would appear to typecast all older managers as stuck in their ways, inflexible in their approach and incapable of change. Why should that necessarily be the case? Alex Ferguson was winning titles in his 60s. Warnock is hardly a spring chicken but is likely to get a very limited side promoted this year.

McCarthy has two Championship promotions to his name. His record at Ipswich was actually pretty decent given the constraints he was working with. Success for a manager is not always about trophies, it’s getting the best out of what you’ve got to work with.

Personally I think we could do a lot worse than someone like McCarthy. I see him as a more palettable version of Warnock with a similar track record at this level. I don’t care whether it’s “inspiring” or not, as long as they know how to get the best out of our team - consistently, across whole seasons.

13 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don’t really get the obsession with having a young coach. That would appear to typecast all older managers as stuck in their ways, inflexible in their approach and incapable of change. Why should that necessarily be the case? Alex Ferguson was winning titles in his 60s. Warnock is hardly a spring chicken but is likely to get a very limited side promoted this year.

McCarthy has two Championship promotions to his name. His record at Ipswich was actually pretty decent given the constraints he was working with. Success for a manager is not always about trophies, it’s getting the best out of what you’ve got to work with.

Personally I think we could do a lot worse than someone like McCarthy. I see him as a more palettable version of Warnock with a similar track record at this level. I don’t care whether it’s “inspiring” or not, as long as they know how to get the best out of our team - consistently, across whole seasons.

I don't think it's quite that, but I do think that a young manager is likely to be more receptive to new ways of thinking and will be thinking about their career in a different way to someone who knows that this might be their 'last hurrah'.  I say that as a senior manager still working in their early sixties, and realising that while I'll do the best I can, it's probably too late to teach me any new tricks.  Given where we appear to be in a 'journey', it does feel that someone receptive to new ideas is most likely to take us forward.

11 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Another transfer window after the January debacle?

I wonder how much control he actually has with transfers. I fear as an organisation, we might have gone too far down the road of, give everyone a job and as long as everyone does it, it will all work out perfectly. Is anyone actually drawing everything together? Clearly nobody looked to see if our January transfers passed the straight face test.

I am concerned with his ability to turn a slump in form around, without needing 3-4 months to do it.

34 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I don't think it's quite that, but I do think that a young manager is likely to be more receptive to new ways of thinking and will be thinking about their career in a different way to someone who knows that this might be their 'last hurrah'.  I say that as a senior manager still working in their early sixties, and realising that while I'll do the best I can, it's probably too late to teach me any new tricks.  Given where we appear to be in a 'journey', it does feel that someone receptive to new ideas is most likely to take us forward.

Fair enough - I don’t necessarily agree, but respect that view.

As was quite rightly said last season when what appeared to be an overwhelming percentage of otib wanting shot of LJ, this forum is a very small representation of the fanbase so unless everyone in the 20,000 (alleged) crowd versus Hull is given a ballot slip this is all bollocks isn't it.

29 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

As was quite rightly said last season when what appeared to be an overwhelming percentage of otib wanting shot of LJ, this forum is a very small representation of the fanbase so unless everyone in the 20,000 (alleged) crowd versus Hull is given a ballot slip this is all bollocks isn't it.

Not necessarily. Opinion polls at election time only speak to a couple of thousand at most, even exit polls only speak to 10-20,000. Over 32 million voted last time around.

Archived