IGNORED

A young up and coming manager

Alan Dicks

2 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

I'm sure it keeps him awake at night after what he's achieved since.

Maybe. It was enough to make him cry on the day. Not surprised either, they needed a point against a team that had nothing to play for and gave so much of a shit about the game they didn't even bother bringing their own kit - and lost.

"What he's achieved" since has been in non-league and League Two, primarily. A second placed finish in the Conference which included a couple of semi-pro teams, followed by a fortuitous play-off win on penalties. Then a third placed finish in L2 in a league in which they are a big-hitter and big spender. 10th last season in L1 decent progress, if not exceptional. This season they look likely to finish lower than 10th; they lost 7 in a row earlier in the season and many sags were calling for his head.

He's done well but whether his experience in the lower leagues tops managing in the Championship, League Cup semi-final and beating Premier League clubs? For now, I'm not so sure.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"What he's achieved" since has been in non-league and League Two, primarily. A second placed finish in the Conference which included a couple of semi-pro teams, followed by a fortuitous play-off win on penalties. Then a third placed finish in L2 in a league in which they are a big-hitter and big spender. 10th last season in L1 decent progress, if not exceptional. This season they look likely to finish lower than 10th; they lost 7 in a row earlier in the season and many sags were calling for his head.

He's done well but whether his experience in the lower leagues tops managing in the Championship, League Cup semi-final and beating Premier League clubs? For now, I'm not so sure.

In hindsight you're right, finishing second in the Conference is probably a bigger achievement than back-to-back promotions to the third tier.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Someone ' like ' Pulis ? 

Yes , only if he was nothing at all like him .

I would not object to McCarthy being on board , if he was motivated.

I like LJ but just can't shake off the niggling doubts that I have about him.

Perhaps the City job was too soon for him .

I would like someone who knows about football, has a record of success and could stand up to SL , not that that went well for SOD. 

I started a thread entitled Bristol Cosy Football Club , my belief is that we are not hard nosed enough to push on to the very top .

Everyone is mates with everyone else , does any one dare say " Lee, old son, that is a stupid idea " or

What humongous gaffe does LJ have to make to get sacked ? 

I believe that any other coach would and probably should have gone last season let alone this one since December.

Where's the signs of lessons being learnt ? 

I'm sure the atmosphere around the club is great , every one congratulating every one else for this ' fantastic ' season . Probably planning their summer holidays together.

I'm happy for them but is it enough ?

I don't think so .

I wish I could give the above more than one "like", Major.

11 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Said this the other day, he’s been promoted a few times already at various levels, most recently at Grimsby & now somehow he’s got Shrewsbury challenging at the top end of league one. 

I heard he’ll be going to Ipswich in the summer if they don’t go up. 

Heard the same about Ipswich. Stewart going to.

Look at what the bloke at Shrewsbury has achieved this season, far more than that ignorant **** up the Gloucester Rd.

He’s lost 18 out of 42 so far this season, he also spent a quarter of a million on a “striker” who has scored one goal this season, he’s mediocre in a mediocre league.

13 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

As others on here are determined be a broken fucking record, I have no qualms in saying once again, if this forum had been around in the 70's there would be a ground swell of opinion that we should sack Alan Dicks before he got it all right. 

He had an even longer period of *"failure" 

*A term used uniquely by some people on OTIB to describe someone who has not reached constantly changing targets, or does or says things they don't like.

Spot on.

Before the sense of entitlement so many now seem to have.

Before instant success and gratification.

Before Stone Island. 

How I’d love to go back to them days....

I don’t think DC is the worst manager in the world, doing a decent job at Rovers, whose fans need a bit of realism, in terms of his quickly they expect them to progress.

I can’t see him being accepted here, unlike John Ward, who seemed to be respected by City fans.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think DC is the worst manager in the world, doing a decent job at Rovers, whose fans need a bit of realism, in terms of his quickly they expect them to progress.

I can’t see him being accepted here, unlike John Ward, who seemed to be respected by City fans.

Wardie was a good chap. Can't ever imagine the dog wankerer being welcomed at AG.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ward was a politician, Dave.

Not sure there was that much substance to him but he came out from the start and tried to charm our support & so clearly knew the being ex Gas thing needed some work by him. 

Charm and Darrell Clarke are simply polar opposites, for me he is one of the most charmless, ungracious, irritating, rude people in football.

Bristol Post love him though...

18 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He also has a relegation on his CV. An utterly humiliating relegation out of the football league despite Rovers having one of the biggest budgets in L2 at the time.

They hadn't been in the relegation zone all season until he took over.

Although, to be fair to him, that was only for five minutes throughout the whole season.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And my fave manager ever, Sir Terry Cooper, managed the gas before us....

On 15/04/2018 at 22:09, Kid in the Riot said:

How the phuck did you work that one out?  The dog botherer presided over the sags getting dumped out of the cup at home to seventh tier Bath City whilst LJ has Jose Mourinho's full strength Man United ticked off on his CV.

I'm no fan of the SL/LJ dynasty but let's keep things in perspective please.

I’m obviously no fan of DC, but he has 4 promotions on his CV as a manager....doesn’t really matter at what level this was achieved...that’s 4 more promotions than LJ....

Calling dc names about dogs is all very good, but hes got them up twice, and whdn he took over he took over a club who were so badly run that they were going to slip into non league at some point. Hes had no money, playing in a ramshackle stadium, and developed taylor and bodin who were sold on for decent money at that level. Hes done an excellent job there, and if we are being honest, lj spending 25 million to build a squad who need love, before going on losing runs lasting for months doesnt really compare well.

Archived