IGNORED

Bristol Bears vs City 2005

Derk94

Apologies that this isn't city related (admin - please advise or move to the correct section of the forum if there is one) but...

The Bristol Rugby rebrand has reminded me of the infamous crest change in 2005 when Cotterill modelled that awful primary school strip and it was quickly reversed.

My question is do you think Lansdown will accept they've made a mistake and do another U-turn as he did with city? 

I've not read one positive comment about the proposed change. IMO it's on par with the Leeds crest monstrosity. 

I have 0 interest in rugby, however my grandad has been a ST holder at the gate for 69 years. Knowing how disgusted he would be if we rebranded I can't help but have sympathy for BR fans.

No warning, no communication with the fans and ultimately a lack or respect for the people that matter most to the club. Let's hope he doesn't get bored with BCFC any time soon. 

Think motive is right - execution incredibly poor and benefit of name change unclear. Its certainly not uncommon in rugby but whether its beneficial I am unsure. Think a campaign around Bristol "This City is ours" could have worked well for rugby and would have brought existing supporters along. Clear the club needs to reach a new audience and build a bigger fanbase. That is the goal and we should all support that. Whether the name change helps is debatable- I guess time will tell.

I read the full interview with SL, about the rugby change, in the Post online yesterday.  

Its just so dispassionate, horribly corporate and disregarded the rugby club’s history. I’m not really a rugby fan but I was upset for them when I read the article.

I read it and thought could any of this NOT be applied to City? The answer is “no”.  

My conclusion is that if he thought there was commercial gain in a name, badge, kit change SL would do it to City in a heartbeat.

He could be turning into our own Vincent Tan....!!!!!! 

4 hours ago, megansdad said:

Think motive is right - execution incredibly poor and benefit of name change unclear. Its certainly not uncommon in rugby but whether its beneficial I am unsure. Think a campaign around Bristol "This City is ours" could have worked well for rugby and would have brought existing supporters along. Clear the club needs to reach a new audience and build a bigger fanbase. That is the goal and we should all support that. Whether the name change helps is debatable- I guess time will tell.

Being crap for years and years explains poor crowds. Success and a decent stadium will address that. 

The name change wasn't needed and rides roughshod over fans and history. The biggest mistake in club management. 

41 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I read the full interview with SL, about the rugby change, in the Post online yesterday.  

Its just so dispassionate, horribly corporate and disregarded the rugby club’s history. I’m not really a rugby fan but I was upset for them when I read the article.

I read it and thought could any of this NOT be applied to City? The answer is “no”.  

My conclusion is that if he thought there was commercial gain in a name, badge, kit change SL would do it to City in a heartbeat.

He could be turning into our own Vincent Tan....!!!!!! 

Are you surprised?

What I didn't like was calling the vast majority of Bris fans who hate the re-brand ...dissenters !  How disrespectful !    It should be SL and his bunch of corporate goons that are labeled dissenters. and the constant search foe "new" supporters at the expense of the generations of older ones...... the sort of  " if you don't like it you can **** off, we'll find some more "!

12 hours ago, BobbyIsMyDad said:

Apologies that this isn't city related (admin - please advise or move to the correct section of the forum if there is one) but...

The Bristol Rugby rebrand has reminded me of the infamous crest change in 2005 when Cotterill modelled that awful primary school strip and it was quickly reversed.

My question is do you think Lansdown will accept they've made a mistake and do another U-turn as he did with city? 

I've not read one positive comment about the proposed change. IMO it's on par with the Leeds crest monstrosity. 

I have 0 interest in rugby, however my grandad has been a ST holder at the gate for 69 years. Knowing how disgusted he would be if we rebranded I can't help but have sympathy for BR fans.

No warning, no communication with the fans and ultimately a lack or respect for the people that matter most to the club. Let's hope he doesn't get bored with BCFC any time soon. 

You've lost me on City 2005 (2015?) and Cotterill and a crest change? Did I sleep too long that summer :blink:

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

You've lost me on City 2005 (2015?) and Cotterill and a crest change? Did I sleep too long that summer :blink:

The one with David Cotterill looking like an ASBO waiting to happen in the awful high round collar, clip art badge kit.

Almost every team in the Rugby Premier League has rebranded itself in this fashion, I don't see the problem, the marketing will go with the Bears brand and the fans will continue to call it Bris. If we were ever to go down the route of other clubs and sell naming rights for Ashton Gate, it will still be the gate for us, and whatever the marketing department need to call it to make money.

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

What I didn't like was calling the vast majority of Bris fans who hate the re-brand ...dissenters !  How disrespectful !    It should be SL and his bunch of corporate goons that are labeled dissenters. and the constant search foe "new" supporters at the expense of the generations of older ones...... the sort of  " if you don't like it you can **** off, we'll find some more "!

Hmmmm where have I felt this before and only a couple of weeks ago at that???

13 hours ago, Lordofthebling said:

With the greatest respect to SL, he's been in charge of Bristol Rugby for about 5 minutes. Now he wants to change their identity...

It's a no from me.

Fine they can go back to being a Championship side renting at the mem can't they? 

On 18/04/2018 at 13:43, ZiderEyed said:

The one with David Cotterill looking like an ASBO waiting to happen in the awful high round collar, clip art badge kit.

Honestly can’t remember it!

On 19/04/2018 at 00:04, cider head said:

:disapointed2se:

3FD62ABA-C084-4EE3-92E5-E2999481790E.jpeg

Wow that is an awful photo on so many levels!

Archived