IGNORED

Accrington Stanley? Who Are They?!

Mike Hunt-Hertz

3 minutes ago, Mr Ed said:

Hadn't realised a former City player Scott Brown now played for Stanley. Really pleased for him. I remember being at the Gate when he broke his leg playing for Cheltenham against us. Good to see him hopefully get a chance of playing at League 1 level again. 

That's a blast from the past! If I remember correctly, he scored a couple of days after he narrowly avoided prison and there was a wonderful celebration from all the team. It was a real "we are BCFC, we will stand together and overcome all hardships" sort of moment.

Nice to see he's still around, and absolutely cracking achievement by Accy!

8 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I haven't lived in Bristol since 1964; yet City is in my blood whether they are in the top or the fourth division, or even, god forbid, in non league.

COYR

Same here, I've now lived longer away from Bristol than in it, but I too kept the faith.

8 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

I can't actually see the point of these poorly supported clubs playing above their natural level when there are proper clubs geographically close - Blackburn, Burnley in their case. 

The same applies to teams like Fleetwood, Crawley, Barnet.

Not sure if it was the last time we played them. In 1958-59 we were drawn away to the in FA Cup rd3. 2-2 draw with gate 12276.

In replay we won 3-1in front of 32,201.

We played both games in change colours as in those days both teams had to change in FA Cup if colours clashed. 

Blue and white quarters borrowed from the Gas! 

6 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

Not really.

Is there any point in Accrington playing in Level 3 given their gates, ground, and  local rivals.  They will need to over extend themselves to recruit better players, additional security etc. and risk going down with increased debt and could end up going bankrupt like the original club.  I didn't say they shouldn't have been promoted in the first place.

I suspect most Accrington fans would rather have a long term future at their own natural level than shit and bust.

Didn't Burton get promoted while making a profit? They made £1.3m profit before tax this year, and whilst they are likely to get relegated they've proven you don't have to put your future at risk to compete.

10 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

I can't actually see the point of these poorly supported clubs playing above their natural level when there are proper clubs geographically close - Blackburn, Burnley in their case. 

The same applies to teams like Fleetwood, Crawley, Barnet.

37EB16A0-BD1A-475B-BC15-91CE213C249D.jpeg

:juggle:

On 18/04/2018 at 13:33, Nongazeuse said:

Not really.

Is there any point in Accrington playing in Level 3 given their gates, ground, and  local rivals.  They will need to over extend themselves to recruit better players, additional security etc. and risk going down with increased debt and could end up going bankrupt like the original club.  I didn't say they shouldn't have been promoted in the first place.

I suspect most Accrington fans would rather have a long term future at their own natural level than shit and bust.

That's probably what Cockney, Scouse, Manc wankers say about us.

Archived