IGNORED

LJ :- It could be a difficult summer..

iamalagerdrinker

Well, it seems like the whole relegation/building a core team in L1 was a waste of time…one step forward and two steps back. That momentum on promotion should've been grasped with both hands, instead it turned into a damp squib.

I suppose I don't really trust MA & LJ to get in the right players, amongst other things.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

By saying "it could be a difficult summer" I guess he's referring to the undoubted interest there'll be in our players after such a terrific EFL cup run.

The likes of Flint, Reid, Pack and Bryan will have attracted the attention of lots of clubs and some of them might well make some kind of offer.

Then it'll depend on whether the player wants to go and what best possible deal MA can negotiate with the interested party, Reid's agent will be well aware of that with Bobbys contract running down and I'd imagine some very tough negotiations taking place even before the summer window starts with more tough and difficult negotiations to take place.

Thats what LJ is on about i reckon.

This is just the problem, he is unclear in what he's communicating causing confusion .

Why doesn't he just say " we may sell some of our first teamers in the summer but the money will be reinvested in the squad " .

Nothing shocking it happens every year.

As it is there is now a feeding frenzy of pro and anti and another division in the support.

In fact why did he feel the need to say anything at all ? 

We know that players leave and new heroes take their places .

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

This is just the problem, he is unclear in what he's communicating causing confusion .

Why doesn't he just say " we may sell some of our first teamers in the summer but the money will be reinvested in the squad " .

Nothing shocking it happens every year.

As it is there is now a feeding frenzy of pro and anti and another division in the support.

In fact why did he feel the need to say anything at all ? 

We know that players leave and new heroes take their places .

Straight talking isn't his currency. 

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Bryan and Flint going I can deal with. I think we could replace them. Kelly and Wright/Vyner could probably step up to some degree  

Reid going would be huge, surely we can fulfill his financial requirements. Tell him we’ll sell him for loads in January if we’re not challenging for promotion. If we could get tomlin to sign surely we can keep hold of Reid for at least another 6 months. 

Although don’t want to see Bobby go, we have survived the last two seasons losing our top striker, I know our recruitment has been patchy but on the striker front we have always got in a 20 a year man, hopefully that continues

4 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Although don’t want to see Bobby go, we have survived the last two seasons losing our top striker, I know our recruitment has been patchy but on the striker front we have always got in a 20 a year man, hopefully that continues

Judging by our overall recruitment, I'd say that was more luck than judgement .

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Having heard a little whisper that a club in the south of England is considering LJ as it's next permanent manager/Head Coach, it is possible that he was not referring to any players that may also be on their way. 

doesnt narrow it down much, but I can see Southampton considering him when Mark Hughes walks off

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

Must say its a bizarre statement to make at this stage of the season when trying to instill a positive attitude in his players.

Which says to me he is frustrated and believes our loss of form is down to key players seeking futures elsewhere whilst not giving blood for this club. I’m no LJ fan but this does seem plausible.

3 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

doesnt narrow it down much, but I can see Southampton considering him when Mark Hughes walks off

Really can't see him going anywhere. Strong family ties and he's well in with SL. Good mates with JL, and happy to let the heir apparent get involved. So I can see the Lansdown/Johnson partnership going on and on and on.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Perhaps we're going to sign Diony on a permanent deal .

This would be a disaster, but I can see a scenario where it may happen. We had apparently been looking at him for a few years and he was our preferred target over Famara. Diony had a better record than Kodjia and Famara and it may be that the club thought he would be a welcome addition in January and another potential hit goalscorer from France that we might make money on. We however can only get him on loan in January however as part of a package with us agreeing a fee for him at the end of the season. I mean it's a easy done deal right ? what could go wrong ?

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d be offering Bobby a healthy seven figure signing on fee and match our highest wage earner

The outlay compared to the cost of trying to replace him would be minimal and something we would recoup if he move on in the future anyway

Chap I know did some decorating for BR who told him he wanted to go into Premier League with City ideally :clap:

But if he doesn’t see us getting there in the near future and has a chance to play there any financial offer from us is unlikely to keep him sadly (Bobby didn’t say that bit !   - my thoughts)

Yes, a million signing fee and a million a year for 4 years would see Reid rewarded and save us money as we simply cannot replace a 20 season goalscorer with his ability for less than 5 million over 4 years (Famara  etc).

We have 36 first team players currently and really need to trim the fat. Some loans will go back but the squad is just full of mediocrity.

12 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Really can't see him going anywhere. Strong family ties and he's well in with SL. Good mates with JL, and happy to let the heir apparent get involved. So I can see the Lansdown/Johnson partnership going on and on and on.

Of course it will.

That simply is not in doubt.

LJ will be Head Coach at this club for as long as he wants to be, regardless of results.

Anyone who doubts that is frankly deluded.

#toocosy

Let's be honest, did anyone really think that we'd keep our best players next season? Our early form plus that cup run put our players in the shop window. Its inevitable some would be off.

Appreciate he probably shouldn't have given an honest view to the media (the timing of his comments is irrelevant if anyone still thinks we had a chance to go up based on performance) but if he'd said anything differently or suggested our best players would be staying, then he'd have been criticised when we'd have sold them.  

I don't have a problem with his comments but it just goes to highlight what a shame and a missed opportunity this season turned out to be.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Having heard a little whisper that a club in the south of England is considering LJ as it's next permanent manager/Head Coach, it is possible that he was not referring to any players that may also be on their way. 

:whistle:

2a4489a020c91295d7ff9a6706e8ae09.jpeg

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Because the alternative is that he’ll be accused of lying or avoiding the question?

I guess he is alluding to moving players on that might be a surprise and possibly selling Reid if he won’t sign a new contract.

However let’s wait and see what the summer brings before slagging off something that hasn’t happened yet and may well not do so.

The more I read the forum the more I’m glad I have absolutley nothing to do with football!  The club can’t win whatever they do! 

7 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

A different 20 goal striker every year for the last 5 suggests it might not be. 

Not quite though is it.
Baldock joined when we were in the Championship and was 2nd top scorer with 10 (12-13)
Did manage 20+ the following year.
Wilbs was a lucky holiday meeting.
Kodjia , yep
Tammy , yep
Bobby had been with the club and LJ took a punt, FD was the striker scouted.  

I was really talking over all though, and that record ain't so clever.

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not quite though is it.
Baldock joined when we were in the Championship and was 2nd top scorer with 10 (12-13)
Did manage 20+ the following year.
Wilbs was a lucky holiday meeting.
Kodjia , yep
Tammy , yep
Bobby had been with the club and LJ took a punt, FD was the striker scouted.  

I was really talking over all though, and that record ain't so clever.

Bobby was a midfielder - that’s down to LJ, credit where credits due 

Archived