IGNORED

LJ :- It could be a difficult summer..

iamalagerdrinker

Let's be honest, Flint we all know about but at the start of the season, lots of us were posting about it being last chance saloon for Joe B and Reid.  Their astonishing form this season means that they are now at a peak of value, and at 24 or so it's a decent time to sell them (with a big fat sell-on clause).  No doubt they are ambitious as well.

This doesn't bother me, it's sound business sense.  But also sound business sense is having a plan for their replacements.

• Admin
26 minutes ago, ooRya said:

As far as players go, keeping Bobby is a must for me. He is the perfect player for the style of football that we had such success with pre Christmas.

I guess part of this would also depend on whether we will try and play that style again any point next season?

17 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Fans are so fickle especially on here. 

Every club has to sell players because they are driven by the money, the players ambition, the agent, ect.

Lee has been honest about this and is seemed to be chastised for doing so. 

To all you delusional fans that expect us to keep our best players and bat away bigger clubs, stay within FFP, Pay big wages to bring in so called 'established' players and all this with making the tickets cheaper need to get a reality check.

You all seem to forget Lee has essentially made us 10 million profit just on Bobby Reid if he is sold (which I think he will be) of course this is also down to Bobby's personal hard work but I struggle to think of another manager that would have taken the risk to develop Bobby into a striker.

And finally to all the comments talking about bad timing of the announcement - So what? If people are put off with buying a season ticket just because the board or LJ are not promising a spending spree and that we will keep our best players then sod off.

I will be a ticket holder for city regardless of our transfer activity because I'm a loyal fan foremost and not a blinded success hungry follower.

Absolutely agree, turning a struggling midfield player into a 20 goal striker was a masterstroke and LJ must take credit for implementing the move.

However, credit must also go to the backroom boys and analysts who flagged up to him the potential benefits of such a positional move.

• Admin
16 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Every club has to sell players because they are driven by the money, the players ambition, the agent, ect.

Lee has been honest about this and is seemed to be chastised for doing so. 

To all you delusional fans that expect us to keep our best players and bat away bigger clubs, stay within FFP, Pay big wages to bring in so called 'established' players and all this with making the tickets cheaper need to get a reality check.

You all seem to forget Lee has essentially made us 10 million profit just on Bobby Reid if he is sold (which I think he will be) of course this is also down to Bobby's personal hard work but I struggle to think of another manager that would have taken the risk to develop Bobby into a striker.

And finally to all the comments talking about bad timing of the announcement - So what? If people are put off with buying a season ticket just because the board or LJ are not promising a spending spree and that we will keep our best players then sod off.

I will be a ticket holder for city regardless of our transfer activity because I'm a loyal fan foremost and not a blinded success hungry follower.

The point is why has he come out pre Hull and said this?

This is the sort of thing you say going into the summer - if at all

Of course players come and go - but it seems like a few decisions have been made already

Would also love to know how LJ has "made us" £10m from Reid

18 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Super fan alert or Bristol Sport employee ?

Yeah lets announce we are selling all our star players just as we enter the last chance saloon, yet another example of shit management

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I guess part of this would also depend on whether we will try and play that style again any point next season?

I've no doubt that it is LJ's preferred style of play.

I think what this season shows is that, we don't currently have the team to maintain it over a whole season.

Maybe explains LJ's comment about "tough decisions" in the summer?

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Of course players come and go - but it seems like a few decisions have been made already

It’s fairly self explanatory. Under his coaching, a player who worth almost nothing has been turned into a player worth £10m. 

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Why does it make a difference if he is saying this now or in two months time? On one hand fans don't want the wishy washy PR nature of football talk but on the other when a manager speaks his mind he is then thrown under the bus. To me it seems double standards - He can do no right!

The decisions probably have been made and this has most probably been mainly made by the players and of course their money hungry agent. I don't blame players that want the join the best club available to them. They are ambitious athletes that want to play at the highest order and with this they make obscene amonts of money whilst doing so.

Ask yourself the question - Would LJ want to keep Reid, Bryan and Flint? Of course the answer is YES. So this wouldn't be driven by the management at all so I don't get the stick he's getting.

How much do you think Bobby was worth last season? Who gave Bobby the chance to shine in a unfamiliar position? How much do you think he is worth this season? There is your answer!

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Conversely players costing millions when we bought them are worth jack shit now.

Like pretty much every other club then. Show me a club of a similar size that gets their recruitment right all the time? Doesn’t happen. We’re nothing exceptional in that regard (in any regard in fact!)

9 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Super fan alert or Bristol Sport employee ?

Yeah lets announce we are selling all our star players just as we enter the last chance saloon, yet another example of shit management

Wow I'm positive and supportive of my club so I must work for the club - Great basis for a argument.

You definitely fit into the category I was addressing when I mentioned delusional.

5 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Interesting interview.  Like others You had to dig to find it. Shame he did not mention the win ratio of 4 in 22 since the Wolves game which I think the majority here might concur was the turning point in our season. ( and if that form continued in 18/19 season we would be relegated or at least embroiled in a relegation scrap)

I am surprised about a general feeling that Baker might be off. He is a LJ signing and LJ has said he is a big player for us but needs him 100% not at 80% with niggles and out of sorts.  I do suspect Flint will go but do not forget how good NB was with BW at the start of the season when Flint was out of the side. 

We are are no different to any other side, players come and go, we the fans are the only constant.  The club always want business done early, summer will be a fun time on here:shifty:

Re Baker, well unless we are LJ, Ashton or the player himself, none of us really know, but LJ has referred to him specifically recently with regard to his poor availability & starting games he wasn’t able to finish.

I know nothing but can’t see the definition of a “difficult summer” just being Reid leaving.

Most of us also understand we are not big hitters financially, but let’s face it, nor are Preston or Brentford, are they?

Final point, whilst our overall recruitment picture can best be described as “mixed” we have replaced Kodjia & then Tammy in the last 2 seasons.

This summer may be the one when we don’t succeed but until we know who goes, who stays and who arrives, we can’t even begin to have a clue.

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Like pretty much every other club then. Show me a club of a similar size that gets their recruitment right all the time? Doesn’t happen. We’re nothing exceptional in that regard (in any regard in fact!)

Yep so don't brag about getting one right who was sitting under the noses of successive managers when so many go wrong. Its just what it is at pretty much every club - except that the number of  shit signings LJ has made shows a distinct lack of judgement and/or due dilligence.

Anyway my main issue with this thread is the timing of coming out with such negativity whilst expecting players and fans to carry on regardless.

A manager who is deeply unpopular with some fans, sells off the last vestiges of the promotion side and a fan cult hero then goes on to recruit a number of young and untested players to replace them.

Anyway, that described the situation under Osman in 94, what LJ will do in the summer is anyone's guess.

(But please, please don't let Pack go)

7 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Yep so don't brag about getting one right who was sitting under the noses of successive managers when so many go wrong. Its just what it is at pretty much every club - except that the number of  shit signings LJ has made shows a distinct lack of judgement and/or due dilligence.

Anyway my main issue with this thread is the timing of coming out with such negativity whilst expecting players and fans to carry on regardless.

By the same logic he shouldn’t be pleased that we beat Man U because we lost to Bolton? You have to take the positives when they come. One great signing can cover the loss on 10 poor ones and getting that one gem is what keeps the cycle going and allows us to work towards the goal of being a sustainable club not reliant on one man’s chequebook.

For the record I agree regarding the timing of negative comments but it does seem to be blown a bit out of proportion. He’s just being realistic about our place in the food chain should the big hitters come calling. Us and every other club in the land bar a select few will have to work to keep their best players over the summer. That’s just football.

He can’t really win either way - if he sugar costs it he gets accused of talking shit and if he tells it how it is people don’t like it because it’s a bit of a reality check. 

I have no objection to the cub selling one of our 'star' players in the summer but any substantial fee has to be reinvested in the team. Southampton seem to have adopted a similar policy over the last few years by selling all their top talent and not reinvesting the vast sums of money they received and look where they are now. 

18 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why do the most negative posters always insist they are the “realists”, as if they operate on a higher plane of intelligence than anyone who dares to have a bit of optimism?

Rather than throwing your toys out of the pram at the first hint that certain players might move on, I would suggest the true “realists” are the ones who recognise that a mid-table second tier club is always going to lose players capable of playing at a higher level, and that is part and parcel of football for all but the truly biggest clubs.

From the doldrums of Championship relegation and even flirtation with relegation to League Two, this club has risen to establish itself as a Championship club with a first class stadium and crowds of 20k plus. And during that period we have lost supposedly irreplaceable players such as Baldock (top scorer) and Tammy (top scorer). Without doubt the club has moved forwards, despite your insistence to the contrary.

I certainly have my doubts about our ability to recruit well this summer. But ultimately we have moved forwards over the last five years and we have brought in a number of good players. Your overtly cynical and negative view is no more “realist” than someone who thinks we’ll win the Champions League in 3 years.

Funny, because what you state above is exactly how I view the happy clappers. No higher plane of intelligence, no “told you so’s”, not happy that it has a gone south since Christmas, not calling for LJ’s head. Just par for the course when supporting City for god knows how many years....same bullshit, same results. Just won’t be convinced by a happy clapper that it is going to be any other way. A happy clapper view is that we’re improving, we’re building which is the very bullshit spin that the club are churning out. We’re not building, we’ll be selling and then taking wild punts. However, we’re all mugs because we continue to be bothered about Lansdowns toy. 

6 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Just par for the course when supporting City for god knows how many years....same bullshit, same results. Just won’t be convinced by a happy clapper that it is going to be any other way.

What people don’t seem to realise is that fans of 90% of clubs in the country will say the same about their club. 

3 into 24 does not go. Ergo nearly 90% of clubs don’t achieve anything every year

Archived