IGNORED

LJ :- It could be a difficult summer..

iamalagerdrinker

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh really? Which ones? O'Dowda? Diedhou? Baker?  I might give you Engvall, but he might raise his value during the summer. Taylor Moore? Not even 20 yet so too early to tell. I would say that generally his failures have been loans, it makes me wonder whether they put the same effort into those signings, I'd like to think they did, but timescales may effect that.

A conservative estimate would suggest that SL has put over £100m into Bristol Sport and for a long time it was only Bristol City that benefitted from that. I wont be buying my grand daughter any toys like that!

I would say Engvall and Taylor Moore.The latter will be entering his final season at City. The progress he is making Championship - League 1 - League 2 I wonder where he will be playing in August.

10 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

First of all I have no  agenda as you put it, and if you’re delighted with our recruitment over the last few years then that’s up to you. But I would think your in the minority. As I said I am referring to our overall policy, and 5 20 goal a season strikers in 5 years skews the facts and isn’t exactly true.. Wilbs would have been known, but scouted particularly for a promotion push , I doubt. Kodjia and Tammy , genuine finds, but Tammy was hardly a secret. Bobby is great work by LJ , he wasn’t scouted as such. So back to my original point, with our (overall) recruitment over the last few years I would not be too optimistic. Good strikers and goal scorers are hard enough to find, ones that link play , work as hard as Reid and score goals?  Rocking horse shit rare.

i hope I’m wrong and the scouting side comes through this summer, we’ll need it, but I have doubts.

Maybe we'll all feel better when we get this headline next year:

" Gary O' Neill nets his 20th goal of the season, his first season after being converted to a striker. The goal puts him level with team mate and summer signing Cristiano Ronaldo"

Well, you never know. Lets just see what happens.

10 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Is our friend from Sweden British then?

Tommy's an Honorary Bristolian, and at least as British as Geldof that's for sure.

Should Tommy be made an Honorary Knight for services to Bristol City? :dunno:

26 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

Maybe we'll all feel better when we get this headline next year:

" Gary O' Neill nets his 20th goal of the season, his first season after being converted to a striker. The goal puts him level with team mate and summer signing Cristiano Ronaldo"

Well, you never know. Lets just see what happens.

tenor.gif?itemid=8677192

26 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I aim to move to Bristol before Sweden go bust. I will always pay for myself though. 

I will not be a burden to the British society.

Trust on your recommendation.

If you were hoping to do that before Britain goes bust, well, that ship sailed years ago. 

I really don't understand this thread. Many concerned about us losing players when in reality other than Flint and Baker heading into the sunset none of the rest of the regular starters merit a second glance (and that includes the useful Reid as it'll quell the debate as to whether or not he's a striker (he isn't) and Bryan who in a defensive capacity will prove far more beneficial to us should he line up for the opposition than he would trotting out for us.)

Of course the real cause for concern is WeeLee and his coterie of coaches and advisors have pretty much a woeful record in identifying, acquiring and developing talent. Despite splashing the cash we're mid-table for a reason, we truly aren't anything special. Having a fire sale wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing save those presently tasked to rebalance the squad would have to do something they've previously shown themselves to be incapable of and that's procure players fit to seriously compete at upper Championship level. 

This season finished months back, forget what we did or didn't do and focus on what we might do next term. It's on potential that both players and management should be assessed. My fear is we probably already know enough of what might be expected of them and in my book that ain't good enough. For me there's lesser risk in 'moving on' than in settling for what we think might have been.

15 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh really? Which ones? O'Dowda? Diedhou? Baker?  I might give you Engvall, but he might raise his value during the summer. Taylor Moore? Not even 20 yet so too early to tell. I would say that generally his failures have been loans, it makes me wonder whether they put the same effort into those signings, I'd like to think they did, but timescales may effect that.

A conservative estimate would suggest that SL has put over £100m into Bristol Sport and for a long time it was only Bristol City that benefitted from that. I wont be buying my grand daughter any toys like that!

and many thousands of fans have paid many thousands of pounds each over the years for a very long time and the amount paid continues to rise every season; per ratio far more than SL and they get to have zero influence on its recruits or its plan.

SL has and will continue to surround himself with yes men and is in complete control of us, BS and therefore most sports in Bristol. His way or the highway.

There`s lots of shite on our wheels but only one engine driver.

LJ;- Hull is a big club, I think they will come here for a win, most clubs in their position do that; 

Hmmm we should maybe do the same? and we can be quite big as well were you not at Wembley a few years back with a few other City fans. Players didn't turn up that day mind.

8 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

I really don't understand this thread. Many concerned about us losing players when in reality other than Flint and Baker heading into the sunset none of the rest of the regular starters merit a second glance (and that includes the useful Reid as it'll quell the debate as to whether or not he's a striker (he isn't) and Bryan who in a defensive capacity will prove far more beneficial to us should he line up for the opposition than he would trotting out for us.)

Of course the real cause for concern is WeeLee and his coterie of coaches and advisors have pretty much a woeful record in identifying, acquiring and developing talent. Despite splashing the cash we're mid-table for a reason, we truly aren't anything special. Having a fire sale wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing save those presently tasked to rebalance the squad would have to do something they've previously shown themselves to be incapable of and that's procure players fit to seriously compete at upper Championship level. 

This season finished months back, forget what we did or didn't do and focus on what we might do next term. It's on potential that both players and management should be assessed. My fear is we probably already know enough of what might be expected of them and in my book that ain't good enough. For me there's lesser risk in 'moving on' than in settling for what we think might have been.

And why not?

1 hour ago, Bri Stool City said:

and many thousands of fans have paid many thousands of pounds each over the years for a very long time and the amount paid continues to rise every season; per ratio far more than SL and they get to have zero influence on its recruits or its plan.

SL has and will continue to surround himself with yes men and is in complete control of us, BS and therefore most sports in Bristol. His way or the highway.

There`s lots of shite on our wheels but only one engine driver.

The man considered our best Chairman ever, Harry Dolman, didn't even listen to the board most of the time, let alone the fans. He knew that to get anywhere someone had to make a decision and stick to it. Fan inclusion is a great idea, but what happens is that you end up with something like Bristol City Council, being held to ransom, by little groups all with their own agenda and nothing getting done for years. SL could have as much fan involvement as he likes before he makes a decision, but at the end of the day we all know there will still be people who will moan that the decision didn't go their way.

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The man considered our best Chairman ever, Harry Dolman, didn't even listen to the board most of the time, let alone the fans. He knew that to get anywhere someone had to make a decision and stick to it. Fan inclusion is a great idea, but what happens is that you end up with something like Bristol City Council, being held to ransom, by little groups all with their own agenda and nothing getting done for years. SL could have as much fan involvement as he likes before he makes a decision, but at the end of the day we all know there will still be people who will moan that the decision didn't go their way.

The most famous president of Zimbabwe ever, Robert Mugabe, knew that to get anywhere he had to make a decision and stick to it. Democracy is a great idea but what happens is that you end up with something lethargic like the USA, being held to ransom by tiny little people with their own agenda getting nothing done for years. Mugabe could have as much democracy as he likes before he makes a decision, but at the end of the day we all know there will still be people who moan that the decision didn't go their way.

No-one is indispensable, unsaleable, etc.

Half our problems in previous seasons was that we had players who knew that they were first choice, they could have sha99ed the manager's wife in front of the entire Board and still been picked to start.

If Reid wants to go - sell him, take the money, if it's enough.  Same with Flint and Joe.  I wish them all well.  Reid's had one good season - ONE - start of this season everyone wanted him gone.

So, we are a selling club.  Fine.

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

The most famous president of Zimbabwe ever, Robert Mugabe, knew that to get anywhere he had to make a decision and stick to it. Democracy is a great idea but what happens is that you end up with something lethargic like the USA, being held to ransom by tiny little people with their own agenda getting nothing done for years. Mugabe could have as much democracy as he likes before he makes a decision, but at the end of the day we all know there will still be people who moan that the decision didn't go their way.

And Zimbabwe itself... How did that go then exactly? I hear in lethargic USA you can get a square meal and a loaf of bread is a dollar. In Zimbabwe you have to chop down about 6 trees just to have enough paper to print the bills. Old Bobby Gabe... He's a character all right.

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

And Zimbabwe itself... How did that go then exactly? I hear in lethargic USA you can get a square meal and a loaf of bread is a dollar. In Zimbabwe you have to chop down about 6 trees just to have enough paper to print the bills. Old Bobby Gabe... He's a character all right.

But in Zimbabwe it's not DECADENT. The West is far too DECADENT. We work hard, for a delicious blighted potato at the end of the day. Mmmm.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

About fifteen years ago, I heard on BBC radio, an interview with a French politician talking about new railway construction.

He said in France, they announce what they would like to do, such as a new high speed line from Paris to Marseilles. They give people a period to give their opinions, and then go ahead and buld the line. That way he said, government govern, the people have had their say and it's all built and in service without too much delay.

At the time of the broadcast, UK government was announcing plans for the new lines to Birmingham and the north of England. I believe it's still being talked about but the line to Marseilles has now been in use for several years.

So while it would be preferable for City and Bristol fans to be able to present opinions to SL, as he is the major shareholder, it will be down to what he wants.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

About fifteen years ago, I heard on BBC radio, an interview with a French politician talking about new railway construction.

He said in France, they announce what they would like to do, such as a new high speed line from Paris to Marseilles. They give people a period to give their opinions, and then go ahead and buld the line. That way he said, government govern, the people have had their say and it's all built and in service without too much delay.

At the time of the broadcast, UK government was announcing plans for the new lines to Birmingham and the north of England. I believe it's still being talked about but the line to Marseilles has now been in use for several years.

So while it would be preferable for City and Bristol fans to be able to present opinions to SL, as he is the major shareholder, it will be down to what he wants.

The line is incredibly fast , the trains are modern and ticket prices are reasonable, sadly the buggers are on strike so no one can benefit ! 

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I trust the family/owners of "Bree Louise" will get full compensation for the insult.

A true genuin real ale pub.

On 19/04/2018 at 16:58, Loon plage said:

I would say Engvall and Taylor Moore.The latter will be entering his final season at City. The progress he is making Championship - League 1 - League 2 I wonder where he will be playing in August.

You do realise both Bobby and Joe were on loan in league to at the same/older age than Moore? Also CB being a position that can have its prime age a couple of years later. 

Archived