Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

LJ :- It could be a difficult summer..


iamalagerdrinker

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

It’s okay, I’ll wait another ten years. Surely you can understand the frustration? It’s not the most intelligent thing to say at this stage of the season and with how things have gone recently.

We can still make the play offs but you wouldn’t think it.

Well, that depends if you are just looking at one paragraph of the press conference and using it as a stick..? 

Or you could also incorporate the bit where he talks about what’s needed to still have a chance of the play offs..! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, lenred said:

Why come out with this when we still have a (slim) possibilty of getting into the Play Offs? Presume they’ve given up. 

"If not now, then when?"

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the days before the internet, we didn't have the opportunity to read things into Manager / Coach statements and/or 'body language' and then broadcast our rock solid conclusions to thousands of others.  We just muttered and tutted over a cuppa and the Western Daily Press.  I miss those day a little bit.  

I occasionally feel that I've landed at The End Of The World sometimes when I drop in here.  But I do, of course, love you all............... :robbored:

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       :fish:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The tone of Johnson's statement suggests to me that deals are already done, in so far as certain players (not difficult to guess which ones) have agreed to play for someone else next season. This might in part explain some of the poor performances since Xmas - key players with their heads elsewhere and the rest of the squad knowing they're off.

Whether City get acceptable offers is a different matter but even then, I'm not sure we'd stand in the way of Bryan going to the Prem or deny Flint a move for a second time.

There's been no news about Reid signing an extended contract, even though we were told by Ashton before Xmas that talks were being held. This clearly indicates the lad fancies a move. So he'll have to be sold this summer after we trigger the 1 year extension otherwise we run the risk of getting sweet fa for him in January or nothing at all next summer. 

New heroes will emerge but these particular players - Flint and Bryan especially - have been integral to a remarkable period in City's history which will make their leaving particularly bittersweet. 

You are right and if this all plays out as you suggest it would certainly explain the loss in form from one of them.

I think additionally he may have learned a bit about one or two others during our slump and a surprise sale (or two) in addition can’t be ruled out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The tone of Johnson's statement suggests to me that deals are already done, in so far as certain players (not difficult to guess which ones) have agreed to play for someone else next season. This might in part explain some of the poor performances since Xmas - key players with their heads elsewhere and the rest of the squad knowing they're off = an uninspired team.

Whether City get acceptable offers is a different matter but even then, I'm not sure we'd stand in the way of Bryan going to the Prem or deny Flint a move for a second time.

There's been no news about Reid signing an extended contract, even though we were told by Ashton before Xmas that talks were being held. This clearly indicates the lad fancies a move. So he'll have to be sold this summer after we trigger the 1 year extension otherwise we run the risk of getting sweet fa for him in January or nothing at all next summer. 

New heroes will emerge but these particular players - Flint and Bryan especially - have been integral to a remarkable period in City's history which will make their leaving particularly bittersweet. 

If you’re referring to Flint Bryan or Reid

Bryan has had a mixed few months but Flint and Reid have given their all and probably been our most consistent two players so I don’t see how the above is linked

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Well, that depends if you are just looking at one paragraph of the press conference and using it as a stick..? 

Or you could also incorporate the bit where he talks about what’s needed to still have a chance of the play offs..! 

It’s a bizarre statement to come out with whether you like or not. Why say it now? Just keep the players heads down and concentrate on these last three games

..!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If you’re referring to Flint Bryan or Reid

Bryan has had a mixed few months but Flint and Reid have given their all and probably been our most consistent two players so I don’t see how the above is linked

Uninspired team performances, Bob. Wasn't thinking of particular individuals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You are right and if this all plays out as you suggest it would certainly explain the loss in form from one of them.

Bryan ?

I think additionally he may have learned a bit about one or two others during our slump and a surprise sale (or two) in addition can’t be ruled out.

Baker ?  Who else ya reckon Graham ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

It’s a bizarre statement to come out with whether you like or not. Why say it now? Just keep the players heads down and concentrate on these last three games

..!

 

What has he stated..? 

It couldn’t be a lot more vague if he tried. 

It might also follow up conversations with players about proving they are good enough to take us forward, or we’ll move them on. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We clearly have a lot of dead wood around that it would be good to get rid of, thats whst we will be left with once flint and reid are gone. If bryan goes for good money and kelly takes his place it wont be the end of the world for me, but filling the squad with average players from foreign leagues hasnt worked, but relying on the league 1 champions still seems to be the key to our first 11.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

It’s a bizarre statement to come out with whether you like or not. Why say it now? Just keep the players heads down and concentrate on these last three games

..!

 

not really that bizarre

Its the classic 'throw someone under the bus'. Whether its someone leaving because they want to...or whether its someone leaving as they are not wanted...it doesnt matter. These type of comments  takes the spot light off of him and his shocking management...and gets the fans putting two and two together about certain players and reasons why we capitulated like we did

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

LJ: “It could be a difficult summer and we have to make some strong decisions. They may or may not go down well but I promise the decisions we do make will be for the right reasons for the long-term prospects to get us to where we want to be.” #BRCvHUL

Round and round in circles, I guess :sunwon:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What has he stated..? 

It couldn’t be a lot more vague if he tried. 

It might also follow up conversations with players about proving they are good enough to take us forward, or we’ll move them on. 

 

Look at the thread title. That’s the start of the statement...

The next statement quoted “it will all come to negotiations from the agent”. That’s not really a sign of players proving their worth is it..

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, simon uk said:

We clearly have a lot of dead wood around that it would be good to get rid of, thats whst we will be left with once flint and reid are gone. If bryan goes for good money and kelly takes his place it wont be the end of the world for me, but filling the squad with average players from foreign leagues hasnt worked, but relying on the league 1 champions still seems to be the key to our first 11.

Agree 

Bryan - however potent at his best and a miss in that respect is probably the easiest to replace 

Flint would be IMHO a massive loss , and massively underrated as a package by many IMHO , for his icon like status and will to win , on top of his footballing abilities Along with Korey and BR the little bit of solid spine and backbone we have

 

Bobby would also be a really big loss IMO and near irreplaceable particularly if we intend to play any sort of high press (Possibly as good as anyone in any league at it) (Mind you Christ knows what LJs current tactical thinking is let alone his plans for next season !) as well as his goals 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

not really that bizarre

Its the classic 'throw someone under the bus'. Whether its someone leaving because they want to...or whether its someone leaving as they are not wanted...it doesnt matter. These type of comments  takes the spot light off of him and his shocking management...and gets the fans putting two and two together about certain players and reasons why we capitulated like we did

 

 

There are THREE games left with everything to play for. If I was a player, that’s not putting me at ease.

There is no need to come out with it now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lew-T said:

There are THREE games left with everything to play for. If I was a player, that’s not putting me at ease.

There is no need to come out with it now.

In fairness regarding the timing - I’m sure all the players will be well aware of what’s brewing anyway and who’s likely to be off

Still not sure why it had to be said now but not sure it makes much difference tbh

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lew-T said:

There are THREE games left with everything to play for. If I was a player, that’s not putting me at ease.

There is no need to come out with it now.

100% agree with you. He shouldnt 

So why is he? To save his own skin with the fans thats why

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Look at the thread title. That’s the start of the statement...

The next statement quoted “it will all come to negotiations from the agent”. That’s not really a sign of players proving their worth is it..

Ok, so focusing on that individual statement, if Bobby refuses to sign a new contract, would we be wrong to cash in on him this summer..? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Because the alternative is that he’ll be accused of lying or avoiding the question?

I guess he is alluding to moving players on that might be a surprise and possibly selling Reid if he won’t sign a new contract.

However let’s wait and see what the summer brings before slagging off something that hasn’t happened yet and may well not do so.

Wasn’t slagging the fact that players will be off Graham, that’s a given imho. Just wondering why these statements are being made now and not at the end of the season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...