Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iamalagerdrinker

LJ :- It could be a difficult summer..

Derby managed to get over their exodus:

Sum: £19.15m
Average age of departures: 25,9
Total market value departures: £33.89m
Will Hughes
Central Midfield
22 England
Watford FC Watford
EnglandPremier League
£8.19m

Tom Ince Tom Ince
Left Wing
25 England
Barbados
Huddersfield Town Huddersfield
EnglandPremier League
£8.19m

Cyrus Christie Cyrus Christie
Right-Back
24 Ireland
England
Middlesbrough FC Middlesbrough
EnglandChampionship
£2.52m

Johnny Russell Johnny Russell
Left Wing
27 Scotland
Sporting Kansas City Kansas
United StatesMajor League Soccer
£252k

Jason Shackell Jason Shackell
Centre-Back
34 England
Millwall FC Millwall
EnglandChampionship
Loan

Kelle Roos Kelle Roos
Keeper
25 Netherlands
Plymouth Argyle Plymouth
EnglandLeague One
Loan

Max Lowe Max Lowe
Left-Back
20 England
Shrewsbury Town Shrewsbury
EnglandLeague One
Loan

Kelle Roos Kelle Roos
Keeper
25 Netherlands
Port Vale FC Port Vale
EnglandLeague Two
Loan

Abdoul Camara Abdoul Camara
Left Wing
27 Guinea
France
EA Guingamp Guingamp
FranceLigue 1
Free transfer

Mason Bennett Mason Bennett
Secondary Striker
21 England
Barbados
Notts County Notts County
EnglandLeague Two
Loan

Alefe Santos Alefe Santos
Right Midfield
22 Brazil
England
Yeovil Town Yeovil Town
EnglandLeague Two
Free transfer

Craig Bryson Craig Bryson
Central Midfield
30 Scotland
Cardiff City Cardiff
EnglandChampionship
Loan

Nick Blackman Nick Blackman
Right Wing
27 England
Israel
Maccabi Tel Aviv M. Tel Aviv
IsraelLigat ha'Al
Loan

Chris Martin Chris Martin
Centre-Forward
29 Scotland
England
Reading FC Reading
EnglandChampionship
Loan

Jacob Butterfield Jacob Butterfield
Central Midfield
27 England
Sheffield Wednesday Sheff Wed
EnglandChampionship
Loan

Darren Bent Darren Bent
Centre-Forward
33 England
Jamaica
Burton Albion Burton Albion
EnglandChampionship
Loan

Kasey Palmer Kasey Palmer
Attacking Midfield
21 England
Chelsea FC U23 Chelsea U23
EnglandPremier League 2
End of loan
May 31, 2018

Sam Winnall Sam Winnall
Centre-Forward
27 England
Sheffield Wednesday Sheff Wed
EnglandChampionship
End of loan
May 31, 2018
Transfer results
Earnings/expenditures Arrivals/Departures Transfer fee
Total results +£8.11m
Income 17 £19.15m
Expenditures 16 £11.04m

Staff

• Gary Rowett
    Manager
    Appointed: Mar 14, 2017
    Contract until: 30.06.2021

5 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Presumably they will go down well though, if it’s true that - “the decisions we do make will be for the right reasons for the long-term prospects to get us to where we want to be.”

As well as requests in this thread already for him to explain "where we want to be", I'd also be interested in what he means by "long term".

"If not now, when?" indeed.

We should have a poll as fans as to whether we think Bobby Reid will sign a new contract:

(a) no. 

(b) of course he ******* won’t. 

(c) not if he’s got any sense. 

Meanwhile

Mark & Lee console themselves with the fun they will have in August with  what’s left of the wad of cash

A93923AD-133B-4C3B-A383-DD7FF90C8C2F.jpeg

20 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And I’d be shocked if Flint doesn’t have a clause in his new contract that he can talk to a Prem Club if they meet a certain valuation (Which won’t be high enough for me at a guess) 

That would explain why he signed a new contract when he did. 

Oh my God our own Matty Taylor scenario ????

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Because the alternative is that he’ll be accused of lying or avoiding the question?

I guess he is alluding to moving players on that might be a surprise and possibly selling Reid if he won’t sign a new contract.

However let’s wait and see what the summer brings before slagging off something that hasn’t happened yet and may well not do so.

Ditto!

Lets see what happens first before jumping to conclusions. In fact I agree that there needs to be a bit of a clear out and can see anything up to 8 or 9 leaving and being replaced with hopefully players who have a bit more quality and staying power.

This is what happens in football these days and if you don’t perform then you are not right for this club. If you want more money and won’t sign a new contract then thanks and good bye

I would be worried if LJ and the club didn’t do this and assess who should stay and who should go

Just now, 1960maaan said:

That would explain why he signed a new contract when he did. 

Oh my God our own Matty Taylor scenario ????

He held the cards , highly rated and playing well , to LJs realisation he was actually integral , and If I was his agent I’d have wanted those clauses with a buy out clause that we know would be met

No great shock if that’s the case

2 hours ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

LJ: “It could be a difficult summer 

Will he be looking back at AG in December singing that Mud song "It'll be lonely this Christmas"?

4 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Ditto!

Lets see what happens first before jumping to conclusions. In fact I agree that there needs to be a bit of a clear out and can see anything up to 8 or 9 leaving and being replaced with hopefully players who have a bit more quality and staying power.

This is what happens in football these days and if you don’t perform then you are not right for this club. If you want more money and won’t sign a new contract then thanks and good bye

I would be worried if LJ and the club didn’t do this and assess who should stay and who should go

We could have a sweepstake on the total number of signings by the end of the fifth window

Anyone reckon we can hit forty  ?

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

not really that bizarre

Its the classic 'throw someone under the bus'. Whether its someone leaving because they want to...or whether its someone leaving as they are not wanted...it doesnt matter. These type of comments  takes the spot light off of him and his shocking management...and gets the fans putting two and two together about certain players and reasons why we capitulated like we did

Andy what a pity we cant get rid of him and all his booted an suited mates that would save us a lot of money and give us all more hope

2 hours ago, Super said:

if we get decent offers for Bryan and Flint let them go. Probably only be championship teams in for them.

Strengthen our rivals while weakening ourselves? Good idea.  :noexp:

Relaxed if this means we will lose some of LJs signings.

The worry is the non-LJ players remain the core of the team, which is a bit of an indictment of his multitude of purchases. It is these core players that other Clubs, I suspect, are sniffing around. 

I share others views in having zero confidence in our current player identification and scouting system so if we lose more than two of the core - Flint, Smith, Bryan, Reid, Pack - then god help us.  

This Summer could well be an absolute disaster. 

I'm going to wake up soon, on December 27th 2017, still buzzing from a good win yesterday v Reading and eargerly anticipating the Wolves game in a few days time....

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

He’s a professional head coach. You’d think he can manage that, especially with all the support around him.

Like Mourinho at Chelsea? 

7 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

I'm going to wake up soon, on December 27th 2017, still buzzing from a good win yesterday v Reading and eargerly anticipating the Wolves game in a few days time....

If only........a very good way of making it hit home what has actually happened RR!

49 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Meanwhile

Mark & Lee console themselves with the fun they will have in August with  what’s left of the wad of cash

A93923AD-133B-4C3B-A383-DD7FF90C8C2F.jpeg

Gone bust, too…

2 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

In prep for the big summer sale of Flint, Bryan and Reid (possibly more) whilst trying to hoodwink the ‘customers’ into believing that the club is genuinely moving forward and that the sales are all part of the ‘big plan’....p.s. Make sure you’ve bought your season ticket!

Honestly, anyone who believes the propaganda must have been born yesterday...whilst the realists see some of the turd showing beneath the glitter as they predicted.

Exactly, if the club sells the few players helping us and keeps the crap like it's done int he past I genuinely can't be bothered caring about it. It honestly feels like this club is just going around in circles these days

Well, it seems like the whole relegation/building a core team in L1 was a waste of time…one step forward and two steps back. That momentum on promotion should've been grasped with both hands, instead it turned into a damp squib.

I suppose I don't really trust MA & LJ to get in the right players, amongst other things.

47 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We could have a sweepstake on the total number of signings by the end of the fifth window

Anyone reckon we can hit forty  ?

When it comes to posting negative comments, I’ve got to admire your stamina.

28 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Strengthen our rivals while weakening ourselves? Good idea.  :noexp:

Money talks.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

By saying "it could be a difficult summer" I guess he's referring to the undoubted interest there'll be in our players after such a terrific EFL cup run.

The likes of Flint, Reid, Pack and Bryan will have attracted the attention of lots of clubs and some of them might well make some kind of offer.

Then it'll depend on whether the player wants to go and what best possible deal MA can negotiate with the interested party, Reid's agent will be well aware of that with Bobbys contract running down and I'd imagine some very tough negotiations taking place even before the summer window starts with more tough and difficult negotiations to take place.

Thats what LJ is on about i reckon.

This is just the problem, he is unclear in what he's communicating causing confusion .

Why doesn't he just say " we may sell some of our first teamers in the summer but the money will be reinvested in the squad " .

Nothing shocking it happens every year.

As it is there is now a feeding frenzy of pro and anti and another division in the support.

In fact why did he feel the need to say anything at all ? 

We know that players leave and new heroes take their places .

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

This is just the problem, he is unclear in what he's communicating causing confusion .

Why doesn't he just say " we may sell some of our first teamers in the summer but the money will be reinvested in the squad " .

Nothing shocking it happens every year.

As it is there is now a feeding frenzy of pro and anti and another division in the support.

In fact why did he feel the need to say anything at all ? 

We know that players leave and new heroes take their places .

Straight talking isn't his currency. 

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Bryan and Flint going I can deal with. I think we could replace them. Kelly and Wright/Vyner could probably step up to some degree  

Reid going would be huge, surely we can fulfill his financial requirements. Tell him we’ll sell him for loads in January if we’re not challenging for promotion. If we could get tomlin to sign surely we can keep hold of Reid for at least another 6 months. 

Although don’t want to see Bobby go, we have survived the last two seasons losing our top striker, I know our recruitment has been patchy but on the striker front we have always got in a 20 a year man, hopefully that continues

I'd sell em if we get good offers. 

A poor start next season and we could be in the muck with no cash or offers to boot. 

4 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Although don’t want to see Bobby go, we have survived the last two seasons losing our top striker, I know our recruitment has been patchy but on the striker front we have always got in a 20 a year man, hopefully that continues

Judging by our overall recruitment, I'd say that was more luck than judgement .

34 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

When it comes to posting negative comments, I’ve got to admire your stamina.

Thankyou

Likewise your ability to excuse anything and everything 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Having heard a little whisper that a club in the south of England is considering LJ as it's next permanent manager/Head Coach, it is possible that he was not referring to any players that may also be on their way. 

doesnt narrow it down much, but I can see Southampton considering him when Mark Hughes walks off

This whole "the players hearts aren't in it" is really starting to annoy me. Do you honestly think that they would throw away the chance of playing in the premier league to prove a point to, erm, Lee Johnson?

Surely nobody believes that? 

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

Must say its a bizarre statement to make at this stage of the season when trying to instill a positive attitude in his players.

Which says to me he is frustrated and believes our loss of form is down to key players seeking futures elsewhere whilst not giving blood for this club. I’m no LJ fan but this does seem plausible.

3 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

"Get us to where we want to be"

Where exactly is that Lee? We all know it's not the premier league so where is it 

League One!

3 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

doesnt narrow it down much, but I can see Southampton considering him when Mark Hughes walks off

Really can't see him going anywhere. Strong family ties and he's well in with SL. Good mates with JL, and happy to let the heir apparent get involved. So I can see the Lansdown/Johnson partnership going on and on and on.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Perhaps we're going to sign Diony on a permanent deal .

This would be a disaster, but I can see a scenario where it may happen. We had apparently been looking at him for a few years and he was our preferred target over Famara. Diony had a better record than Kodjia and Famara and it may be that the club thought he would be a welcome addition in January and another potential hit goalscorer from France that we might make money on. We however can only get him on loan in January however as part of a package with us agreeing a fee for him at the end of the season. I mean it's a easy done deal right ? what could go wrong ?

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d be offering Bobby a healthy seven figure signing on fee and match our highest wage earner

The outlay compared to the cost of trying to replace him would be minimal and something we would recoup if he move on in the future anyway

Chap I know did some decorating for BR who told him he wanted to go into Premier League with City ideally :clap:

But if he doesn’t see us getting there in the near future and has a chance to play there any financial offer from us is unlikely to keep him sadly (Bobby didn’t say that bit !   - my thoughts)

Yes, a million signing fee and a million a year for 4 years would see Reid rewarded and save us money as we simply cannot replace a 20 season goalscorer with his ability for less than 5 million over 4 years (Famara  etc).

We have 36 first team players currently and really need to trim the fat. Some loans will go back but the squad is just full of mediocrity.

12 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Really can't see him going anywhere. Strong family ties and he's well in with SL. Good mates with JL, and happy to let the heir apparent get involved. So I can see the Lansdown/Johnson partnership going on and on and on.

Of course it will.

That simply is not in doubt.

LJ will be Head Coach at this club for as long as he wants to be, regardless of results.

Anyone who doubts that is frankly deluded.

#toocosy

Let's be honest, did anyone really think that we'd keep our best players next season? Our early form plus that cup run put our players in the shop window. Its inevitable some would be off.

Appreciate he probably shouldn't have given an honest view to the media (the timing of his comments is irrelevant if anyone still thinks we had a chance to go up based on performance) but if he'd said anything differently or suggested our best players would be staying, then he'd have been criticised when we'd have sold them.  

I don't have a problem with his comments but it just goes to highlight what a shame and a missed opportunity this season turned out to be.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Having heard a little whisper that a club in the south of England is considering LJ as it's next permanent manager/Head Coach, it is possible that he was not referring to any players that may also be on their way. 

:whistle:

2a4489a020c91295d7ff9a6706e8ae09.jpeg

We will make a lot of monies, but spend very little is my prediction, sell some greats and replace them with frees and our youth

49 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Judging by our overall recruitment, I'd say that was more luck than judgement .

A different 20 goal striker every year for the last 5 suggests it might not be. 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Because the alternative is that he’ll be accused of lying or avoiding the question?

I guess he is alluding to moving players on that might be a surprise and possibly selling Reid if he won’t sign a new contract.

However let’s wait and see what the summer brings before slagging off something that hasn’t happened yet and may well not do so.

The more I read the forum the more I’m glad I have absolutley nothing to do with football!  The club can’t win whatever they do! 

7 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

A different 20 goal striker every year for the last 5 suggests it might not be. 

Not quite though is it.
Baldock joined when we were in the Championship and was 2nd top scorer with 10 (12-13)
Did manage 20+ the following year.
Wilbs was a lucky holiday meeting.
Kodjia , yep
Tammy , yep
Bobby had been with the club and LJ took a punt, FD was the striker scouted.  

I was really talking over all though, and that record ain't so clever.