IGNORED

LJ :- It could be a difficult summer..

iamalagerdrinker

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But what if it's the players who are the problem...??

(Just saying. I know nowt.)

He’s a professional head coach. You’d think he can manage that, especially with all the support around him.

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Ok, so focusing on that individual statement, if Bobby refuses to sign a new contract, would we be wrong to cash in on him this summer..? 

Aslong as we’ve done everything we can to make him stay and it’s his own wishes, then of course not.

It’s the timing of this I have a problem with.

By saying "it could be a difficult summer" I guess he's referring to the undoubted interest there'll be in our players after such a terrific EFL cup run.

The likes of Flint, Reid, Pack and Bryan will have attracted the attention of lots of clubs and some of them might well make some kind of offer.

Then it'll depend on whether the player wants to go and what best possible deal MA can negotiate with the interested party, Reid's agent will be well aware of that with Bobbys contract running down and I'd imagine some very tough negotiations taking place even before the summer window starts with more tough and difficult negotiations to take place.

Thats what LJ is on about i reckon.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

By saying "it could be a difficult summer" I guess he's referring to the undoubted interest there'll be in our players after such a terrific EFL cup run.

The likes of Flint, Reid, Pack and Bryan will have attracted the attention of lots of clubs and some of them might well make some kind of offer.

Then it'll depend on whether the player wants to go and what best possible deal MA can negotiate with the interested party, Reid's agent will be well aware of that with Bobbys contract running down and I'd imagine some very tough negotiations taking place even before the summer window starts with more tough and difficult negotiations to take place.

Thats what LJ is on about i reckon.

Thanks for that insight RR

Very helpful :yawn:

Not sure if anyone else had realised it was about such things

:tv_horror:

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I'd have thought that would have been obvious seeing as we failed to challenge for promotion. Bryan, Reid, Flint will probably all go.

Pack is on that list. Particularly if Flint is gone.

I can not understand why Korey Smith never gets mentioned in these threads as well!

I’d be offering Bobby a healthy seven figure signing on fee and match our highest wage earner

The outlay compared to the cost of trying to replace him would be minimal and something we would recoup if he move on in the future anyway

Chap I know did some decorating for BR who told him he wanted to go into Premier League with City ideally :clap:

But if he doesn’t see us getting there in the near future and has a chance to play there any financial offer from us is unlikely to keep him sadly (Bobby didn’t say that bit !   - my thoughts)

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thanks for that insight RR

Not sure if anyone else had realised it was about such things

In view of so many negative comments about what LJ had to say I assumed those critics didn't quite grasp what he actually meant so I felt it only right and proper to explain it.

If those critics did understand his meaning then we wouldn't have so much negativity, would we?        :dunno:

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d be offering Bobby a healthy seven figure signing on fee and match our highest wage earner

The outlay compared to the cost of trying to replace him would be minimal and something we would recoup if he move on in the future anyway

Chap I know did some decorating for BR who told him he wanted to go into Premier League with City ideally :clap:

But if he doesn’t see us getting there in the near future and has a chance to play there any financial offer from us is unlikely to keep him sadly (Bobby didn’t say that bit !   - my thoughts)

I think he’d be mad to stay. If he were to, he should be demanding 20k/week on a 4 year contract. 

1 hour ago, Cheesleysmate said:

In prep for the big summer sale of Flint, Bryan and Reid (possibly more) whilst trying to hoodwink the ‘customers’ into believing that the club is genuinely moving forward and that the sales are all part of the ‘big plan’....p.s. Make sure you’ve bought your season ticket!

Honestly, anyone who believes the propaganda must have been born yesterday...whilst the realists see some of the turd showing beneath the glitter as they predicted.

Why do the most negative posters always insist they are the “realists”, as if they operate on a higher plane of intelligence than anyone who dares to have a bit of optimism?

Rather than throwing your toys out of the pram at the first hint that certain players might move on, I would suggest the true “realists” are the ones who recognise that a mid-table second tier club is always going to lose players capable of playing at a higher level, and that is part and parcel of football for all but the truly biggest clubs.

From the doldrums of Championship relegation and even flirtation with relegation to League Two, this club has risen to establish itself as a Championship club with a first class stadium and crowds of 20k plus. And during that period we have lost supposedly irreplaceable players such as Baldock (top scorer) and Tammy (top scorer). Without doubt the club has moved forwards, despite your insistence to the contrary.

I certainly have my doubts about our ability to recruit well this summer. But ultimately we have moved forwards over the last five years and we have brought in a number of good players. Your overtly cynical and negative view is no more “realist” than someone who thinks we’ll win the Champions League in 3 years.

Just now, Fordy62 said:

I think he’d be mad to stay. If he were to, he should be demanding 20k/week on a 4 year contract. 

Think he could demand more than that tbh Fordy

And I think  it will be more about players viewing the Clubs ambition and likelihood to get promoted against any current opportunity appearing , unfortunately

7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Pack is on that list. Particularly if Flint is gone.

I can not understand why Korey Smith never gets mentioned in these threads as well!

I just don't think he is rated as highly outside of BS3 than he is with us. I just don't think we'll get an outrageous offer for him that would be worth it commercially. 

Shame for him as he's a fantastic footballer

36 minutes ago, simon uk said:

We clearly have a lot of dead wood around that it would be good to get rid of, thats whst we will be left with once flint and reid are gone. If bryan goes for good money and kelly takes his place it wont be the end of the world for me, but filling the squad with average players from foreign leagues hasnt worked, but relying on the league 1 champions still seems to be the key to our first 11.

Yesssssssssss LJ is going then :banana:

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think he could demand more than that tbh Fordy

And I think  it will be more about players viewing the Clubs ambition and likelihood to get promoted against any current opportunity appearing , unfortunately

I wonder. 

I’m not saying that Bobby is a money grabber, I’m sure he’s far from it! But I wonder whether, having been paid a relative pittance for the past 5-6 years when compared to the big boys, if he’s more salivating at the prospect of a massively long lucrative contract rather than a shot at The Prem?

i doubt he’s done the big money footballer thing yet. 

4 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I just don't think he is rated as highly outside of BS3 than he is with us. I just don't think we'll get an outrageous offer for him that would be worth it commercially. 

Shame for him as he's a fantastic footballer

You may be right! But I am bracing for it now.

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Then I’d offer him that. 

Got no problem with what was said but have a problem with the when. 

Also, not a great window to lose 3-4 key players with a world cup. Obviously we can do business while it is ongoing but often certain moves open up others. World Cup will slow that down. 

The club really need to trim the excess from the squad. GON, Hegeler, Engvall and the loans would be a great start. Not particularly worried about losing some players. Think the club do good business in the summer when they have a plan. Hopefully any selling of players will be followed closely by an incoming(or even incoming before outgoing). Of course no one wants Reid, Flint or Bryan(or many others to go) but it happens. 

41 minutes ago, lenred said:

Why come out with this when we still have a (slim) possibilty of getting into the Play Offs? Presume they’ve given up. 

They gave up weeks ago the mentality of Bristol City remains don't rock the boat,see what happens?, things were going so well up to Christmas .

Had City to finish between 10th and 12th around 3 months ago as the rot set in and the usual January window produced nothing to enforce a change of direction,we aren't going to get promotion by design for all the corporate bullshit that gets trotted out if Bobby Reid is sold i will not be a happy bunny for most of the season he as opposed to a Joe Bryan type of player has been the driving force of the team will run with the ball and make things happen and actually score goals,i'm fed up with make do foreign imports and shite loan signings  who by enlarge add nothing . Lloyd Kelly has the buzz of a young player who wants to compete and has ability not like some who get brushed off the ball stroll around don't track back ect.

The whole tone of some decisions may or may not go down well will depend on the quality of what come's through the door signing more players for the future will be a kick in the nuts to fans who have forked out a lot of cash its the here and now that counts.  

The thing with Bobby is his star is shining bright at the moment , he may get offers this year that may not come again. I personally don't think money is the be all and end all with BR, if one of the bigger clubs came in for him we would have very little chance of keeping him.

Just now, Fordy62 said:

I wonder. 

I’m not saying that Bobby is a money grabber, I’m sure he’s far from it! But I wonder whether, having been paid a relative pittance for the past 5-6 years when compared to the big boys, if he’s more salivating at the prospect of a massively long lucrative contract rather than a shot at The Prem?

i doubt he’s done the big money footballer thing yet. 

Agree 

But His agent and BR will know of any Clubs interested and probably a wage offer too

Now as I said above I’d be prepared to give him £1m or more as a signing fee and match our Highest wage earner (Fo4 argument let’s say Flint at £20k a week) - A nice package

But

Any prem club or even a fair few  Championship Clubs would pay him that , and more witjout a seconds thought so I don’t believe we can keep him here by financial means , unless there is no real interest from other Clubs 

I'm not one of LJ's biggest fans, but I can't help feeling a bit sorry for him - I think he's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

From the moment the owners failed to back him in the January transfer window (too early for the Prem), the ambitions of some of our best players were trashed, and our fabulously performing team were destined to another season in the Championship. Not great for your motivation!

LJ has had to manage this, albeit not very well, and today's statement is all about moving on players who, basically, stopped turning up - and the party line is that it's for the benefit of the long term "sustainable" club future.

So unfortunately it starts from the very top.

Our best players will be cashed in on......... how not surprising

LJ is still building for "the future" ..... how not surprising

Players that are going, don't care about our results and those staying don't care either as they can see how determined as a club we are to move forward....., results are not surprising.

Club/manager tell us this after many fans buy ST`s and believe in the promises/plan given, more yet to come I think.....badge/shirt/name even anything could happen, he can do what he likes :dunno:

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Any prem club or even a fair few  Championship Clubs would pay him that , and more witjout a seconds thought so I don’t believe we can keep him here by financial means , unless there is no real interest from other Clubs 

Exactly how I see it.  
LJ has a hard job to convince him we will be pushing again (?) next year. 
Massive shame, massive miss, and I wouldn't blame him in the slightest if he left.

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

Having heard a little whisper that a club in the south of England is considering LJ as it's next permanent manager/Head Coach, it is possible that he was not referring to any players that may also be on their way. 

Weymouth ?

;)

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Having heard a little whisper that a club in the south of England is considering LJ as it's next permanent manager/Head Coach, it is possible that he was not referring to any players that may also be on their way. 

oh please don't get my hopes up

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Exactly how I see it.  
LJ has a hard job to convince him we will be pushing again (?) next year. 
Massive shame, massive miss, and I wouldn't blame him in the slightest if he left.

And I’d be shocked if Flint doesn’t have a clause in his new contract that he can talk to a Prem Club if they meet a certain valuation (Which won’t be high enough for me at a guess) 

Archived