Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iamalagerdrinker

LJ :- It could be a difficult summer..

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I guess part of this would also depend on whether we will try and play that style again any point next season?

I've no doubt that it is LJ's preferred style of play.

I think what this season shows is that, we don't currently have the team to maintain it over a whole season.

Maybe explains LJ's comment about "tough decisions" in the summer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, phantom said:

The point is why has he come out pre Hull and said this?

This is the sort of thing you say going into the summer - if at all

Of course players come and go - but it seems like a few decisions have been made already

Would also love to know how LJ has "made us" £10m from Reid

It’s fairly self explanatory. Under his coaching, a player who worth almost nothing has been turned into a player worth £10m. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s fairly self explanatory. Under his coaching, a player who worth almost nothing has been turned into a player worth £10m. 

Conversely players costing millions when we bought them are worth jack shit now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, phantom said:

The point is why has he come out pre Hull and said this?

This is the sort of thing you say going into the summer - if at all

Of course players come and go - but it seems like a few decisions have been made already

Would also love to know how LJ has "made us" £10m from Reid

Why does it make a difference if he is saying this now or in two months time? On one hand fans don't want the wishy washy PR nature of football talk but on the other when a manager speaks his mind he is then thrown under the bus. To me it seems double standards - He can do no right!

The decisions probably have been made and this has most probably been mainly made by the players and of course their money hungry agent. I don't blame players that want the join the best club available to them. They are ambitious athletes that want to play at the highest order and with this they make obscene amonts of money whilst doing so.

Ask yourself the question - Would LJ want to keep Reid, Bryan and Flint? Of course the answer is YES. So this wouldn't be driven by the management at all so I don't get the stick he's getting.

How much do you think Bobby was worth last season? Who gave Bobby the chance to shine in a unfamiliar position? How much do you think he is worth this season? There is your answer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Conversely players costing millions when we bought them are worth jack shit now.

Like pretty much every other club then. Show me a club of a similar size that gets their recruitment right all the time? Doesn’t happen. We’re nothing exceptional in that regard (in any regard in fact!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Super fan alert or Bristol Sport employee ?

Yeah lets announce we are selling all our star players just as we enter the last chance saloon, yet another example of shit management

Wow I'm positive and supportive of my club so I must work for the club - Great basis for a argument.

You definitely fit into the category I was addressing when I mentioned delusional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the press is sustainable over the season, we need to perhaps get back to basics, Lee did sign players that would have enabled a 442 but fell short of what we wanted. Need a couple of front men, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Interesting interview.  Like others You had to dig to find it. Shame he did not mention the win ratio of 4 in 22 since the Wolves game which I think the majority here might concur was the turning point in our season. ( and if that form continued in 18/19 season we would be relegated or at least embroiled in a relegation scrap)

I am surprised about a general feeling that Baker might be off. He is a LJ signing and LJ has said he is a big player for us but needs him 100% not at 80% with niggles and out of sorts.  I do suspect Flint will go but do not forget how good NB was with BW at the start of the season when Flint was out of the side. 

We are are no different to any other side, players come and go, we the fans are the only constant.  The club always want business done early, summer will be a fun time on here:shifty:

 

Re Baker, well unless we are LJ, Ashton or the player himself, none of us really know, but LJ has referred to him specifically recently with regard to his poor availability & starting games he wasn’t able to finish.

I know nothing but can’t see the definition of a “difficult summer” just being Reid leaving.

Most of us also understand we are not big hitters financially, but let’s face it, nor are Preston or Brentford, are they?

Final point, whilst our overall recruitment picture can best be described as “mixed” we have replaced Kodjia & then Tammy in the last 2 seasons.

This summer may be the one when we don’t succeed but until we know who goes, who stays and who arrives, we can’t even begin to have a clue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Like pretty much every other club then. Show me a club of a similar size that gets their recruitment right all the time? Doesn’t happen. We’re nothing exceptional in that regard (in any regard in fact!)

Yep so don't brag about getting one right who was sitting under the noses of successive managers when so many go wrong. Its just what it is at pretty much every club - except that the number of  shit signings LJ has made shows a distinct lack of judgement and/or due dilligence.

Anyway my main issue with this thread is the timing of coming out with such negativity whilst expecting players and fans to carry on regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A manager who is deeply unpopular with some fans, sells off the last vestiges of the promotion side and a fan cult hero then goes on to recruit a number of young and untested players to replace them.

Anyway, that described the situation under Osman in 94, what LJ will do in the summer is anyone's guess.

(But please, please don't let Pack go)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Yep so don't brag about getting one right who was sitting under the noses of successive managers when so many go wrong. Its just what it is at pretty much every club - except that the number of  shit signings LJ has made shows a distinct lack of judgement and/or due dilligence.

Anyway my main issue with this thread is the timing of coming out with such negativity whilst expecting players and fans to carry on regardless.

By the same logic he shouldn’t be pleased that we beat Man U because we lost to Bolton? You have to take the positives when they come. One great signing can cover the loss on 10 poor ones and getting that one gem is what keeps the cycle going and allows us to work towards the goal of being a sustainable club not reliant on one man’s chequebook.

For the record I agree regarding the timing of negative comments but it does seem to be blown a bit out of proportion. He’s just being realistic about our place in the food chain should the big hitters come calling. Us and every other club in the land bar a select few will have to work to keep their best players over the summer. That’s just football.

He can’t really win either way - if he sugar costs it he gets accused of talking shit and if he tells it how it is people don’t like it because it’s a bit of a reality check. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First team players must move on for a high transfer fee. The club has already invested in their replacements spending millions on young development players. It’s the model the club adopted four years ago. About to enter the next stage which is going to be very exciting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no objection to the cub selling one of our 'star' players in the summer but any substantial fee has to be reinvested in the team. Southampton seem to have adopted a similar policy over the last few years by selling all their top talent and not reinvesting the vast sums of money they received and look where they are now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why do the most negative posters always insist they are the “realists”, as if they operate on a higher plane of intelligence than anyone who dares to have a bit of optimism?

Rather than throwing your toys out of the pram at the first hint that certain players might move on, I would suggest the true “realists” are the ones who recognise that a mid-table second tier club is always going to lose players capable of playing at a higher level, and that is part and parcel of football for all but the truly biggest clubs.

From the doldrums of Championship relegation and even flirtation with relegation to League Two, this club has risen to establish itself as a Championship club with a first class stadium and crowds of 20k plus. And during that period we have lost supposedly irreplaceable players such as Baldock (top scorer) and Tammy (top scorer). Without doubt the club has moved forwards, despite your insistence to the contrary.

I certainly have my doubts about our ability to recruit well this summer. But ultimately we have moved forwards over the last five years and we have brought in a number of good players. Your overtly cynical and negative view is no more “realist” than someone who thinks we’ll win the Champions League in 3 years.

Funny, because what you state above is exactly how I view the happy clappers. No higher plane of intelligence, no “told you so’s”, not happy that it has a gone south since Christmas, not calling for LJ’s head. Just par for the course when supporting City for god knows how many years....same bullshit, same results. Just won’t be convinced by a happy clapper that it is going to be any other way. A happy clapper view is that we’re improving, we’re building which is the very bullshit spin that the club are churning out. We’re not building, we’ll be selling and then taking wild punts. However, we’re all mugs because we continue to be bothered about Lansdowns toy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Just par for the course when supporting City for god knows how many years....same bullshit, same results. Just won’t be convinced by a happy clapper that it is going to be any other way.

What people don’t seem to realise is that fans of 90% of clubs in the country will say the same about their club. 

3 into 24 does not go. Ergo nearly 90% of clubs don’t achieve anything every year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

 

Would love to know their sources.

image.thumb.png.e9a8f618687fe72e6ed207af582a607e.png

7/2 FAV Labrokes and Coral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Re Baker, well unless we are LJ, Ashton or the player himself, none of us really know, but LJ has referred to him specifically recently with regard to his poor availability & starting games he wasn’t able to finish.

I know nothing but can’t see the definition of a “difficult summer” just being Reid leaving.

Most of us also understand we are not big hitters financially, but let’s face it, nor are Preston or Brentford, are they?

Final point, whilst our overall recruitment picture can best be described as “mixed” we have replaced Kodjia & then Tammy in the last 2 seasons.

This summer may be the one when we don’t succeed but until we know who goes, who stays and who arrives, we can’t even begin to have a clue.

Maybe the uncertainty comes from LJ leaving and taking players with him? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

not really that bizarre

Its the classic 'throw someone under the bus'. Whether its someone leaving because they want to...or whether its someone leaving as they are not wanted...it doesnt matter. These type of comments  takes the spot light off of him and his shocking management...and gets the fans putting two and two together about certain players and reasons why we capitulated like we did

 

 

So rather than leave in January and cause fan uproar they signed “pre-agreements” with other clubs in the January window?

Well that would certainly explain the inexplicable capitulation since January.....”Don’t get injured son and don’t go busting a gut as you don’t want to spoil that big summer move eh? And I do want my agent fees you know?!”

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What people don’t seem to realise is that fans of 90% of clubs in the country will say the same about their club. 

3 into 24 does not go. Ergo nearly 90% of clubs don’t achieve anything every year

Because sadly....a lot of our fans but the corporate waffle and ‘believe’. Then they attack those who are ‘negative’ but who understand exactly what you have just stated above. We’re not living the dream and LJ isn’t the Messiah....he’s a very naughty boy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

We, like everyone else outside the top handful of clubs in world football, are a selling club. 

Not really news is it? 

I’ve long stopped getting attached to individual players. It’s funny how for the last three months no ones had a positive word to say about anyone and then everyone goes batshit about the prospect of them being elsewhere. 

Funny old game. 

Personally I’m happy to see churn of players. Were it not for Tammy leaving, Reid wouldn’t have played etc. Were it not for us needing a centre back, Flint wouldn’t be here etc. If bigger clubs are in for our players it means we’re doing something right in either recruitment, academy or both.

More importantly, Uncle Steve and his magic bottomless wallet isn’t going to be here forever - we need to be able to sustain ourselves as a business. If that day comes when we need to live within our own generated means, then a few are in for a serious reality check about our place in the world....

Fair points although I don't quite get the singling out of Steve - as if we'd be on our knees without him. 

Unless he calls in his debts then presumably when he goes we'll do what many other clubs do to get by by cutting our cloth accordingly. 

Otherwise, how do those around us who don't have sugar-daddies survive? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Fair points although I don't quite get the singling out of Steve - as if we'd be on our knees without him. 

Unless he calls in his debts then presumably when he goes we'll do what many other clubs do to get by by cutting our cloth accordingly. 

Otherwise, how do those around us who don't have sugar-daddies survive? 

The point is as a fan base we’ve become very entitled and it’s become the norm for us to expect to be ‘kept’ beyond our means thanks to one man and his money. 

I.E when people say we should sign XYZ or should do this or that....there’s never any thought to how it would be financed given our relatively modest crowds and the infancy of our improved ability to generate non match day revenue. 

Case in point being the fuss on here over the wording of the Twitter account for the stadium. No recognition or gratitude of the fact that we now have another revenue stream - another step towards self sustainability -but just criticism over some wording. 

Same fans who want cheap season tickets also want us to sign a 40-50k a week striker.

As a fan base we live in something of an artificial bubble about our place in the food chain thanks to the endless cash of one man - the reality of if we had to live within our means would be a very stark eye opener. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The point is as a fan base we’ve become very entitled and it’s become the norm for us to expect to be ‘kept’ beyond our means thanks to one man and his money. 

I.E when people say we should sign XYZ or should do this or that....there’s never any thought to how it would be financed given our relatively modest crowds and the infancy of our improved ability to generate non match day revenue. 

Case in point being the fuss on here over the wording of the Twitter account for the stadium. No recognition or gratitude of the fact that we now have another revenue stream but just criticism over some wording. 

Same fans who want cheap season tickets also want us to sign a 40-50k a week striker.

As a fan base we live in something of an artificial bubble about our place in the food chain thanks to the endless cash of one man - the reality of if we had to live within our means would be a very stark eye opener. 

Indeed. So be it, if cashflow reduces. The Bristol public can have the club they think they deserve when they bother to turn up in adequate numbers. At least we're moving that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Indeed. So be it, if cashflow reduces. The Bristol public can have the club they think they deserve when they bother to turn up in adequate numbers. At least we're moving that way. 

It is funny how blinded people become to financial reality. Let’s say 15,000 season tickets and 5,000 POTD for a season. 

Thats probably around £7m in revenue. 

Three players on £40k a week and that’s gone. 

Before transfer fees 

Before wages of the rest of the squad

Before operating costs and depreciation

How on earth do people think we are capable of financing that sort of attitude towards wages?

Why should Steve Lansdown pay for it for you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Fans are so fickle especially on here. 

Every club has to sell players because they are driven by the money, the players ambition, the agent, ect.

Lee has been honest about this and is seemed to be chastised for doing so. 

To all you delusional fans that expect us to keep our best players and bat away bigger clubs, stay within FFP, Pay big wages to bring in so called 'established' players and all this with making the tickets cheaper need to get a reality check.

You all seem to forget Lee has essentially made us 10 million profit just on Bobby Reid if he is sold (which I think he will be) of course this is also down to Bobby's personal hard work but I struggle to think of another manager that would have taken the risk to develop Bobby into a striker.

And finally to all the comments talking about bad timing of the announcement - So what? If people are put off with buying a season ticket just because the board or LJ are not promising a spending spree and that we will keep our best players then sod off.

I will be a ticket holder for city regardless of our transfer activity because I'm a loyal fan foremost and not a blinded success hungry follower.

You are exactly the type of "customer " BS want.

Happy with anything they say and do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing Devil's Advocate a bit here but, over the last three seasons, we have endured three ongoing slumps. We usually only count the two under Lee Johnson because they came later in the season but we got 3 wins in 21 at the end of Cotterill's reign and surely that counts as a slump too, just one that came at the start of the season rather than the end of it.

We tend to think of one common denominator during those slumps, which is Lee Johnson, but actually five of our first team have been regulars during all three slumps, including some of the players we are concerned about losing.

I think the current team contains some of the best players we have had in years but I honestly don't think one manager alone - let alone two - can solely be responsible for frequent declines in form. Maybe there is something within the mentality of the club and some of the players and, following on from that, maybe it is not as big a disaster as we think if some of those players leave. 

I worry about Bobby as I think he would be hard to replace (and, as someone who has only been a regular this season, he escapes the blame in this scenario. But I do think we are in a strange place at the moment as supporters as we yearn for better results but don't want players in the first team to leave or lose their place. And, of course, players could leave and we could be a worse side as a result. But maybe, just maybe, some of the players involved in those slumps moving on COULD give us fresh impetus. Next season could be a disaster, especially if we lose key players. But it could not be...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Super fan alert or Bristol Sport employee ?

Yeah lets announce we are selling all our star players just as we enter the last chance saloon, yet another example of shit management

Sorry? When did this happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone on this thread cited Brentford and Preston as examples of clubs who are doing well despite being not so rich.

Unsure about Preston, but Brentford tend to year in, year out raise a fair amount through transfers.

Very well run clubs tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

You are exactly the type of "customer " BS want.

Happy with anything they say and do.

You are the exact epitome of a melodramatic unfairly critical and negative OTIB poster. That has big propositions to the way the club should be run but no real substance or logic behind it. 

See it's easy to be judgemental of other posters without any real debate brought to the discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given our often quoted approach to signings where players are viewed on a number of occasions and dossiers prepared and reviewed by LJ and the management team, you would have to think our prime summer targets are already well on the boardroom table.

The question remains who goes, to pay for it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Reminds me of. Napoleon

He advanced into Russia, took Moscow, failed to deal with the winter and guerrila resistance 

He ordered a retreat and three years later was on St Helena 

Moral if you don’t keep advancing, and order a retreat instead, then the endgame will be defeat

His Moscow was our Wolves game

His retreat was our January window

his Waterloo, our .......

 

 

All in the season ABBA changed the penalty shoot out. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

A manager who is deeply unpopular with some fans, sells off the last vestiges of the promotion side and a fan cult hero then goes on to recruit a number of young and untested players to replace them.

Anyway, that described the situation under Osman in 94, what LJ will do in the summer is anyone's guess.

(But please, please don't let Pack go)

It’s not what I want to happen but I wonder if my tired post last night (pg4) was my resignation if that fact and trying to rationalise it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

All in the season ABBA changed the penalty shoot out. 

It’s not what I want to happen but I wonder if my tired post last night (pg4) was my resignation if that fact and trying to rationalise it. 

I don't know if you are right or wrong mate or if it could happen but I've always liked Pack. He's the sort of player every team needs. He gets on with the job. Not too flashy but really hard working. Does all the stuff no one really notices until he's not in the side. A good attitude and solid. Players like that are an absolute bugger to replace and when spotted by a good scout, are always in demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

You are the exact epitome of a melodramatic unfairly critical and negative OTIB poster. That has big propositions to the way the club should be run but no real substance or logic behind it. 

See it's easy to be judgemental of other posters without any real debate brought to the discussion.

There certainly are a small number of posters on here whose posts make me think that they have probably won the Champions League with Bristol City on Football Manager and are genuinely perplexed as to why the club cannot replicate their achievements in real life...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Playing Devil's Advocate a bit here but, over the last three seasons, we have endured three ongoing slumps. We usually only count the two under Lee Johnson because they came later in the season but we got 3 wins in 21 at the end of Cotterill's reign and surely that counts as a slump too, just one that came at the start of the season rather than the end of it.

We tend to think of one common denominator during those slumps, which is Lee Johnson, but actually five of our first team have been regulars during all three slumps, including some of the players we are concerned about losing.

I think the current team contains some of the best players we have had in years but I honestly don't think one manager alone - let alone two - can solely be responsible for frequent declines in form. Maybe there is something within the mentality of the club and some of the players and, following on from that, maybe it is not as big a disaster as we think if some of those players leave. 

I worry about Bobby as I think he would be hard to replace (and, as someone who has only been a regular this season, he escapes the blame in this scenario. But I do think we are in a strange place at the moment as supporters as we yearn for better results but don't want players in the first team to leave or lose their place. And, of course, players could leave and we could be a worse side as a result. But maybe, just maybe, some of the players involved in those slumps moving on COULD give us fresh impetus. Next season could be a disaster, especially if we lose key players. But it could not be...

Good thought provoking post that

:clap:

the players you refer lo are my favourite players in the side as the ones I rate  and respect most

BUT

I had thoughts about this off the back of the dressing room harmony discussion and recent (3 yrs or so) history re acceptance / integration of new signings and particularly loanees , and on top of that , Its uncomfortable to read your points and thoughts above and fail to disagree or dismiss them

:whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good thought provoking post that

:clap:

the players you refer lo are my favourite players in the side as the ones I rate  and respect most

BUT

I had thoughts about this off the back of the dressing room harmony discussion and recent (3 yrs or so) history re acceptance / integration of new signings and particularly loanees , and on top of that , Its uncomfortable to read your points and thoughts above and fail to disagree or dismiss them

:whistle:

Was saying the other day about the wailing and gnashing of teeth about the prospect of Flint and Bryan going - but both have been mainstays in what for three years has been a terrible defensive unit. 

Only one side in the top half has conceded more and the two seasons prior were disastrous for goals conceded - and in all three seasons we’ve had one of the top goal scorers in the league, even during two relegation scraps. 

Not holding them personally responsible but you have to ask is it the end of the world to get some fresh blood in? It’s only Bryan’s departure that will lead to Kelly getting a prolonged run for example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I don't know if you are right or wrong mate or if it could happen but I've always liked Pack. He's the sort of player every team needs. He gets on with the job. Not too flashy but really hard working. Does all the stuff no one really notices until he's not in the side. A good attitude and solid. Players like that are an absolute bugger to replace and when spotted by a good scout, are always in demand.

I really rate Pack 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Was saying the other day about the wailing and gnashing of teeth about the prospect of Flint and Bryan going - but both have been mainstays in what for three years has been a terrible defensive unit. 

Only one side in the top half has conceded more and the two seasons prior were disastrous for goals conceded - and in all three seasons we’ve had one of the top goal scorers in the league, even during two relegation scraps. 

Not holding them personally responsible but you have to ask is it the end of the world to get some fresh blood in? It’s only Bryan’s departure that will lead to Kelly getting a prolonged run for example. 

If I could choose one to sacrifice it would be Joe Bryan for me

As much as I rate Flint and hold him in the very very highest regard I’d try and keep Bobby first and foremost

Then Flint followed by Korey Smith 

After that no one would be impossible to replace

As much as I rate Pack now I think there are others around than can do that job 

 

Think if Flint goes we may move for Roberts at Birmingham 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for some slick salesmanship

Dyche’

’Hello Mark , I wanted to speak about Bobby Reid , what would the Clubs response be I’d we were to make a formal offer of £7million’

 

MA

’Bobby ..... £7 million .... not really Sean ..................but while you’re on the phone ... and Il let you in on this one ...... have you heard of a very exciting Swedish U21 striker we have on the books .....we’ve had to hide him back in Sweden away from prying eyes ... but as we like you , now we could talk at £7m  here.....’

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It is funny how blinded people become to financial reality. Let’s say 15,000 season tickets and 5,000 POTD for a season. 

Thats probably around £7m in revenue. 

Three players on £40k a week and that’s gone. 

Before transfer fees 

Before wages of the rest of the squad

Before operating costs and depreciation

How on earth do people think we are capable of financing that sort of attitude towards wages?

Why should Steve Lansdown pay for it for you? 

Good point.

You haven't factored in revenue from transfers, TV money or TV appearances, corporate hospitality, matchday advertising , shop , food sales ... 

All clubs should be self sufficient but as long as billionaires want toys they won't be .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Conversely players costing millions when we bought them are worth jack shit now.

Oh really? Which ones? O'Dowda? Diedhou? Baker?  I might give you Engvall, but he might raise his value during the summer. Taylor Moore? Not even 20 yet so too early to tell. I would say that generally his failures have been loans, it makes me wonder whether they put the same effort into those signings, I'd like to think they did, but timescales may effect that.

 

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Good point.

You haven't factored in revenue from transfers, TV money or TV appearances, corporate hospitality, matchday advertising , shop , food sales ... 

All clubs should be self sufficient but as long as billionaires want toys they won't be .

 

 A conservative estimate would suggest that SL has put over £100m into Bristol Sport and for a long time it was only Bristol City that benefitted from that. I wont be buying my grand daughter any toys like that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Good point.

You haven't factored in revenue from transfers, TV money or TV appearances, corporate hospitality, matchday advertising , shop , food sales ... 

All clubs should be self sufficient but as long as billionaires want toys they won't be .

 

Clubs in the Championship won't make a profit by and large- I think Burton made one but they have very limited aims and are punching well above their weight. All told, I don't think Championship clubs generally will make a profit.

Our wages last year (16/17) were some 98% of Turnover- which is the best in years actually!

DafJzEjWkAArAFB.jpg:large

Unless we are in League One and content bobbing along as a big fish in a small pond using a fair number of youth players, or we make the PL- or even become a yo-yo club, the idea of us being self-sufficient or profitable is IMO a long long way off, and tbh unsure it's even possible.

This chain of tweets is also good on us!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Good point.

You haven't factored in revenue from transfers, TV money or TV appearances, corporate hospitality, matchday advertising , shop , food sales ... 

All clubs should be self sufficient but as long as billionaires want toys they won't be .

 

No it wasn’t meant to be exhaustive, just an illustration about just how far detatched we become from reality as fans when we talk about it ‘only being another £10k a week’ or ‘only being another few million’.

We talk about signing big players on big wages without a second thought as to how we have no chance of affording it if we didn’t have a billionaire with an open chequebook backing us. A lot of people would probably be surprised to learn that our annual gate receipts is equivalent to two or three high wage players.

It’s all a generation has ever known and it’d be very interesting to see what happened if you could press ‘reset’ and go to a world where clubs genuinely had to live within their means. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

No it wasn’t meant to be exhaustive, just an illustration about just how far detatched we become from reality as fans when we talk about it ‘only being another £10k a week’ or ‘only being another few million’.

We talk about signing big players on big wages without a second thought as to how we have no chance of affording it if we didn’t have a billionaire with an open chequebook backing us. A lot of people would probably be surprised to learn that our annual gate receipts is equivalent to two or three high wage players.

It’s all a generation has ever known and it’d be very interesting to see what happened if you could press ‘reset’ and go to a world where clubs genuinely had to live within their means. 

Definitely would be...in quite a way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...