IGNORED

Well done Gregor McGregorface !

slartibartfast

Listened to the longish presser   and hussah for BP guy... he waded in more like a frustrated otib poster than your usual lickspittle journos !   Basically ..."Why are we so shite since when we were 2nd.........why was Jan window SO shite..........why didn't we go for a bit of quality , and the best one.........do you feel you've been shafted by THE SUITS ?"  The sort of questions that must have had "minder" Beanhead gagging !

Well done son, glad someone's got balls :clap:

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

Listened to the longish presser   and hussah for BP guy... he waded in more like a frustrated otib poster than your usual lickspittle journos !   Basically ..."Why are we so shite since when we were 2nd.........why was Jan window SO shite..........why didn't we go for a bit of quality , and the best one.........do you feel you've been shafted by THE SUITS ?"  The sort of questions that must have had "minder" Beanhead gagging !

Well done son, glad someone's got balls :clap:

fair play to him :city:

9 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Lee brutally honest about our wages and prospect of bringing in someone big in January.

Difficult to argue with him on that isn’t it. He’s working with financial constraints. If we’re going to be critical of that, the criticism should be aimed at the board rather than Johnson. Clearly he had little option but to take a punt on unproven players in January, rather than proven quality.

21 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Well, LJ did splutter a bit and a few thinking  pauses .

I actually thought LJ gave very fair and honest answers. Probably my only criticism would be that the post-mortem appears to have already started even though there is still an outside chance with three games to go.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Difficult to argue with him on that isn’t it. He’s working with financial constraints. If we’re going to be critical of that, the criticism should be aimed at the board rather than Johnson. Clearly he had little option but to take a punt on unproven players in January, rather than proven quality.

Yes, not knocking LJ's answers, just applauding someone with the cojones to ask what everyone else is thinking...particularly do you feel let down !

6 minutes ago, Cardy said:

So basically the board bottled our best chance in 10 years & have left Johnson to carry the can. Spineless suits.

Isn’t it correct that we work within fairly tight financial constraints though? And within that Russian Doll we had Fatty and GON on the books?

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Isn’t it correct that we work within fairly tight financial constraints though? And within that Russian Doll we had Fatty and GON on the books?

Surely we could've signed someone better than what we did without breaking the bank?

8 minutes ago, Cardy said:

So basically the board bottled our best chance in 10 years & have left Johnson to carry the can. Spineless suits.

Well I doubt they’ll do it again, it’s not like they’ve got form..... 

And in fairness to Steve and Jon they spent January thumbing through the Big Book of Animal Names to “help” the rugby club. 

I actually have a bit more sympathy for LJ after that interview. Essentially a number of factors have combined that have led to our post-Christmas decline, and not all of them his fault; our intense style of play, an extended cup run, a long injury list, and a lack of financial clout in January to relieve the pressure on our overworked best players.

I don't think the extent of the decline is quite justified by any of that. But the reasons are legitimate at least. I also think there are lessons to be learned there, and we may start next season stronger for the experience. Clearly there is a need to add depth to the squad and perhaps also a need to moderate our style to make it sustainable over a season. The challenge is for LJ to adapt to make us competitive from August to May - and for the board to support those aims with the necessary investment.

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Surely we could've signed someone better than what we did without breaking the bank?

I think it's particularly difficult in January. If a player is in-form that means he's playing regularly and his club will likely resist offers. In our case wages prevent us signing proven quality from higher up that might not be getting games. That leaves us looking for players from elsewhere with no particular form to point to (Diony a case in point), either from abroad, or from the lower leagues with no guarantees they can make the considerable step up. Or young players from good teams (Kent, Walsh), again with no guarantee that they are ready for Championship football.

It's tough. Really you have to say that the vast bulk of business needs to be done i the summer and you simply cannot be relying on January to make any reliable improvements to the squad.

43 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Smokescreen. What we had already proved what was possible. The dive in performance levels was the greater issue. 

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

Lee brutally honest about our wages and prospect of bringing in someone big in January.

Hopefully it stops some of the nonsense aimed at the manager from fans, the word deluded springs to mind if they think we were ever in the market for players like Mitrovic etc. 

Every time I hear johnson speak I want him to do well. If we can recruit right and stick to our principles next time I hope he comes good. Just so frustrating that we have blown it. I would like us to sign quick ball playing midfielder; quick winger and a Bobby Reid type player for next year. Go 4 3 3; look at sides like Brentford and Fulham. That's how we should play. 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Hopefully it stops some of the nonsense aimed at the manager from fans, the word deluded springs to mind if they think we were ever in the market for players like Mitrovic etc. 

Fair comment. But let's remember, the likes of Millwall didn't get Mitrovic either. 

14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Neither did Leeds, QPR, Reading, Sheffield Wednesday, Norwich, Hull or Sunderland.

I'm merely saying there's too much emphasis on the January window for what went wrong. If we'd signed nobody we should have performed much much better than we have since Christmas. That's where the autopsy for the season should focus. 

Archived