IGNORED

Millwall v Fulham.... (Merged)

Son of Fred

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I'm not convinced that with a billionaire owner we couldn't have done more to make a better fist of it, 1 top singing could have made all the difference.

We didnt, others did, and that's why we went from 2nd to 11th in 4 months.

Does that not annoy you? honest question ... 

The billionaire doesn’t owe you a big player on big wages, this is what people need to wise up to. The ‘Steve can afford it’ attitude will come back to bite us on the ass should we ever need to live within our means like most businesses do. 

Maybe after ten years of competing at the right end of this league we can be in the market for such players. After a division three title and two relegation scraps, not so much. Outside of BS3 we’re a nobody - like it or not. Fulham are an attractive club with a very different recent history. 

Another key difference is that Villa and Fulham were both significantly underachieving in the early part of the season and we were overachieving. Over the course of a season these things normally balance out to leave most teams roughly where they deserve to be. Compare the wage budgets throughout the division and you may have a different assessment of our ‘failure’

24 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I'm in the mindset that you get what you pay for ... 

Just because he’s been a success at Fulham doesn’t mean he’d of been as good here does it? Seem to recall he wasn’t all that last season for Newcastle in this league?

58 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Are people still acting like Mitrovic was there for the taking and we didn’t take the opportunity? Deary me. 

This made me laugh on Millwall Forum

Thread started by (Arse licking).  ‘Cardiff Blue’

All the very best for tonight lads. I’ve been checking out the Fulham fans forum and they seem to think they’ve a devine right to be in the PL in front of us so called “unfashionable” clubs. Like most Cardiff fans, I’ve always had a lot of respect for you boy’s down the years, and have enjoyed many a trip to the new/old Den (or maybe not :laugh:)! It would be great to see us Both get promoted this season, i’m Sure the Premier League would be waiting to welcome us with open arms

To be met with a reply

‘ F**k off you sheep sh****ing  backward c*** ‘

:laughcont:

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Cardiff signed madine 

Villa signed grabban

Fulham signed Mitrovic 

We signed Diony who hasn't scored a goal in an age ... 

You see where I'm going with This?

Madine has scored the same amount of goals for Cardiff as Diony has for us

2 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Madine has scored the same amount of goals for Cardiff as Diony has for us

£6m transfer fee too, proven quality that would of ‘assured’ us of a top 6 finish. 

The LJ bedsheets would be out by now if we’d signed that donkey for £6m.

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

It's the three bottles of malt a week that 'kill me....

Sarsons malt? .... Urghh why? 

At least respect your palate, upgrade to balsamic or go proper classy and choose a decent apple cider vinegar ffs...

If you're gonna kill yourself pickling your liver with vinegar, drink the good stuff eh?

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I'm not convinced that with a billionaire owner we couldn't have done more to make a better fist of it, 1 top singing could have made all the difference.

Does that not annoy you? honest question ... 

Not annoyed at all, can't say having one Top singing would impress me to be honest....

Now then if we had all Four Tops singing for us that would be different... music to my ears...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_TVRGWcfk

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Cardiff signed madine 

Villa signed grabban

Fulham signed Mitrovic 

We signed Diony who hasn't scored a goal in an age ... 

You see where I'm going with This?

Who did Wolves, Millwall, Derby and Brentford sign out of interest? Madine hardly starts by the way.

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

The only way 3 wins wouldn't be enough is if Brentford also win their 3 and we can't overhaul their GD imo. 

There toughest game is probably there away game at Barnsley they will do well to get all 3 points there.

There goal difference is 11 and ours is 10 so over coming that is doable but they seem to be finding form right at the time its needed most

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Just to put our forum and the total over reaction to any questioning or criticism about players or LJ  into perspective

Just had a look at the Millwall forum

In two threads consisting of a combined total of 23 posts 

Archer the Millwall keeper has been instructed to go forth and multiply twice and referrred to as a ‘Complete C word’ (But in full)  on 7 occasions with real vitriol

Wait till after today's game

11 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

We should compare what we did in transfers to Huddersfield last season not teams on parachute payments. I have no recollection of who they brought in but they must be much more comparable. 

If I recall correctly a number of their key players last year were loans.

Expensive short term but worked pretty well.

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

We should compare what we did in transfers to Huddersfield last season not teams on parachute payments. I have no recollection of who they brought in but they must be much more comparable. 

They didn’t spend loads in transfer fees, but probably paid a fair bit in loan fees for the likes of Mooy and Kachunga (Palmer and Brown from Chelsea too) who both were made permanent over the summer, and signing on fees for the free transfers.  They paid out £11m+ on "promotion costs" according to their annual accounts.

They had a manager who tapped into the German market, which of course he knew well, and brought in players he thought were more than capable of playing here....on the cheap.

When I look at Hegeler, I see a fine player, just one who’s not wholly suited to Championship football, or at least at City.  I could easily see him fitting in at Wolves or Fulham.

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

If I recall correctly a number of their key players last year were loans.

Expensive short term but worked pretty well.

See above, yes, they did.  Some of our fans were unhappy about developing Tammy for Chelsea’s gain.

I think the key to loans of this type, is to have the option to buy at the end.  In Tammy’s case, I don’t think that was ever gonna be an option, but you could see Man City doing a pre-agreed deal for Mooy.

10 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Who did Wolves, Millwall, Derby and Brentford sign out of interest? Madine hardly starts by the way.

Im not saying we should have bought any of those players, I'm trying to make the point that teams around us in january strengthend where as in my opinion our January business was very poor.

Kent, Walsh and Diony have not been effective, surely people can see that. 

2 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Im not saying we should have bought any of those players, I'm trying to make the point that teams around us in january strengthend where as in my opinion our January business was very poor.

Kent, Walsh and Diony have not been effective, surely people can see that. 

In hindsight we all can.

LJ expected both Loanees (Kent and Diony) to make an impact and push us on.  Walsh was gonna be a slow-burner. It didn’t work out.  He didn’t pre-agree a £5m+ Fee with St Etienne thinking he was shit.  He really thought he could turn him around and grab a bargain either ahead of a Prem campaign in 18/19 or a real push again in the Champ.

Kent, he was hoping would give us pace and trickery coupled with goals and chances.  Personally I couldn’t see the need for another winger.

In summary, the recruitment guys (MA, LJ, the analysts, etc) got it massively wrong.  All 3 may have also unsettled the delicate balance / harmony of the squad.  I don’t know that, but dressing rooms are strange places.

Of course we could’ve taken Madine for £6m, or Jerome for £1.5m and £40k per week.  The loss incurred on our two loan flops will be very small in comparison.  Although teams strengthened, not all of them paid off.

Lets just say Fulham pip Cardiff for auto promotion, you’re gonna have some big sides or sides that have spent a lot of money sweating on grabbing that last promo place.....Villa, Cardiff, Derby, Boro, with possibly Derby and Boro not even guaranteed a play off place.  Sheffield Wednesday, Norwich, Leeds aren’t even in the mix-up.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In hindsight we all can.

LJ expected both Loanees (Kent and Diony) to make an impact and push us on.  Walsh was gonna be a slow-burner. It didn’t work out.  He didn’t pre-agree a £5m+ Fee with St Etienne thinking he was shit.  He really thought he could turn him around and grab a bargain either ahead of a Prem campaign in 18/19 or a real push again in the Champ.

Kent, he was hoping would give us pace and trickery coupled with goals and chances.  Personally I couldn’t see the need for another winger.

In summary, the recruitment guys (MA, LJ, the analysts, etc) got it massively wrong.  All 3 may have also unsettled the delicate balance / harmony of the squad.  I don’t know that, but dressing rooms are strange places.

Of course we could’ve taken Madine for £6m, or Jerome for £1.5m and £40k per week.  The loss incurred on our two loan flops will be very small in comparison.  Although teams strengthened, not all of them paid off.

Lets just say Fulham pip Cardiff for auto promotion, you’re gonna have some big sides or sides that have spent a lot of money sweating on grabbing that last promo place.....Villa, Cardiff, Derby, Boro, with possibly Derby and Boro not even guaranteed a play off place.  Sheffield Wednesday, Norwich, Leeds aren’t even in the mix-up.

Fair enough you make some very good points. It's just so disappointing the outcome this season seems to be heading, just another what might have been.

Hopefully our assets won't get stripped to hard and we can have another go at it with lessons learnt.

To those who replied; the Huddersfield example is a very good one all round. No two clubs of course can mimic the other and how crystallised that became in the January window. I have said it before and many will again that if you have nobody to improve your squad you do not act; i mean lets state the obvious here because it needs to be stated; Same set of circumstances and Wagner would have done nothing. Johnson did the opposite and goes public a few days ago by saying words to the effect 'we had to do something' as if doing nothing was not an option. 

Huddersfield got it right because they were intelligent. Johnson, I hope, will have learnt or if not now soon enough. Perhaps his alluding to a tough close season is because he has already reached his squad and budget limits and knows he has to offload first. Got himself in a little pickle perhaps and hopefully not too sweet that he sinks.

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In hindsight we all can.

Tend to fully agree with much of this..Diony in hindsight, well huge mistake. Kent- different set up could have got more out of him.

Looking for traditional wingers- or in this instance signing Kent and playing him wide right in a 4-4-2? Swimming against the tide a bit tactically- I see him as a more modern type of winger, the 4-4-2 traditional winger is a bit of a dying breed the higher we go.

Quite right too, lot of teams have big wage bills and have gambled on going up- plus Villa and Derby particularly aging. Quite a few rebuilding jobs needed I feel. Leeds? Because of size of their gates and commercial revenue probably less affected than most on that list IMO.Wages/turnover 16/17 for them one of the lowest in Championship too.

Your post about Hegeler above... Funny, was just thinking other day that he would probably slot in at Fulham. Main issue I have with him, he doesn't have the legs for a central midfield 2...if we played him in a 3 however, undoubtedly I could see an improvement for him with us.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Your post about Hegeler above... Funny, was just thinking other day that he would probably slot in at Fulham. Main issue I have with him, he doesn't have the legs for a central midfield 2...if we played him in a 3 however, undoubtedly I could see an improvement for him with us.

You don’t have to have legs....Kevin MacDonald has proved that all season.  Hegeler looked very good in a back 3 in his first few games for us.  He’s a good player, better than the majority of our squad (controversial statement)....and you could question why our head coach hadn’t tried to find a system to get the best out of him.  Just as a suggestion, a 4141 along the lines of:

Fielding

Pisano Flint Baker Bryan

Hegeler

Brownhill Pack Smith O’Dowda

Reid

giving Pack a chance to use his passing skills further forward.  Recall that reverse pass v Man Utd, the no-look pass v Wednesday I think.  Also get him in shooting range more often.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You don’t have to have legs....Kevin MacDonald has proved that all season.  Hegeler looked very good in a back 3 in his first few games for us.  He’s a good player, better than the majority of our squad (controversial statement)....and you could question why our head coach hadn’t tried to find a system to get the best out of him.  Just as a suggestion, a 4141 along the lines of:

Fielding

Pisano Flint Baker Bryan

Hegeler

Reid

giving Pack a chance to use his passing skills further forward.  Recall that reverse pass v Man Utd, the no-look pass v Wednesday I think.  Also get him in shooting range more often.

Yep, i'd go for that lineup! It's a shame that Jens has been injured for so long, even more of a shame that someone of his undoubted quality can't have a team built around them to get the best from a) him and b) the rest of the team. Shipping him out to someone like Wolves or Fulham, for example, would (in my eyes at least) be defeatist and an admission that we bought him without properly knowing how to utilise him best, both for the player and the team's benefit.

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fielding

Pisano Flint Baker Bryan

Hegeler

Reid

Dave I am sure that we have mentioned Hegeler playing as a sweeper before, bringing the ball out of defence & allowing Pack & Smith to play further forward. It suits Hegeler's skill set.

The problem is that few if any teams in this country have played with that Beckenbauer type role, unlike obviously Germany. The only one I can think of who has been even close has been Carrick at ManUre & he has often played more like a quarterback in front of the defence, spraying the ball around. Defensive holding midfielders like Makelele or Kante have become the desired option in this country, small & busy (Korey Smith?), while Pack could be considered a lesser version of Carrick. The issue is that playing both of those in central midfield, playing in those way, doesn't allow for much creativity, which was why Paterson playing a roaming role, with Bobby buzzing about just in front, was so important in our pre-Christmas run, as we were essentially playing a 4-6-0 formation, but allowing all of the midfielders to get forward in attack.

Archived