IGNORED

OTIB: the home of fake news

DaveInSA

When I listen to an interview, I get a totally different message than the threads on here.

Sure, it's good to have debate, but the facts get totally skewed. It makes for fascinating reading :ph34r: your average psychologist would have a field day on here.

Here's a good example:

Lee Johnson said: We're still in the mix, it isn't time to review the season yet

The forum said: We've given up on promotion already and it's not worth trying.

Lee Johnson said that it's going to be a difficult summer. 

The forum said: We're selling Flint, Baker, Bryan, Reid, Pack and Patterson.

Not otib. It's the Washington press that according to Trump created 'fake news'.

I get your point tho.

This is a forum and like any other forum. You'll  see really interesting and well thought out comments mixed in with utterly ridiculous ones........ and it's not just the under 25s that post daft stuff either..............:whistle:

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not otib. It's the Washington press that according to Trump created 'fake news'.

I get your point tho.

This is a forum and like any other forum. You'll  see really interesting and well thought out comments mixed in with utterly ridiculous ones........ and it's not just the under 25s that post daft stuff either..............:whistle:

The under 25s know how to find non-bias information for themselves and create rational opinions based on facts. It’s the older people who blindly read the same 3 newspapers all owned by the same 1 company.

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I get your point tho.

This is a forum and like any other forum. You'll  see really interesting and well thought out comments mixed in with what I post, and it's not just the under 25s that post daft stuff either..............:whistle:

28 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

When I listen to an interview, I get a totally different message than the threads on here.

Sure, it's good to have debate, but the facts get totally skewed. It makes for fascinating reading :ph34r: your average psychologist would have a field day on here.

Here's a good example:

Lee Johnson said: We're still in the mix, it isn't time to review the season yet

You're applying the principles of fake news well  young Jedi ( if indeed that is your real name ) 

You've mixed quotes and replies impeccably.

We can all read the words but there are underlying meanings which are clear when taken in the context as a whole .

All information should be analysed and compared with other sources to arrive at the ' mean ' truth.

What are people saying ? Why are they saying it ? Where does the subject come from ? What is the reason behind the statement ? Who benefits or loses from it ? 

Nothing is black and white ( perhaps Zebras ? ) so we would be foolish to take everything at face value . Particularly in the shady , grey world of football.

27 minutes ago, Unan said:

The under 25s know how to find non-bias information for themselves and create rational opinions based on facts. It’s the older people who blindly read the same 3 newspapers all owned by the same 1 company.

Haha, so bloody true!!!

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

Here's a good example:

I think the reality is the opposite - the only fakes in this story are Bristol Sport and some of our players

13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I take it the poster criticising us older ones and those agreeing are under 25 then? Do you think, at 25, we suddenly lost our marbles? As for the newspaper comment, absolutely laughable! 

No, you grew up not knowing any different and the bulk of you understandably have always believed what the big news companies have told you. These days with the internet it is much easier to find a wide variety of information from literally thousands of different sources. Did you know over 90% of media corporations in the USA are owned by only 6 companies?

B1B8FFF1-8C33-4D8B-9FCB-5BFA5543AC6C.png

56 minutes ago, Unan said:

^ my nomination for post of the week.

Yes, I'm 23...

7 minutes ago, Unan said:

No, you grew up not knowing any different and the bulk of you understandably have always believed what the big news companies have told you. These days with the internet it is much easier to find a wide variety of information from literally thousands of different sources. Did you know over 90% of media corporations in the USA are owned by only 6 companies?

What a load of bollocks that is!

Thanks for the life lecture which is extremely patronising. As I'm an old fart, I couldn't possibly understand this information could I? 

Yes, I didn't grow up with the internet but know exactly how to use it, as I do in my current role all the time and have set up websites for businesses in previous positions many times. Just because people were born in a different era, doesn't mean they don't adapt to the current one. Maybe if you had a bit more life experience, you would know that.

Yes, you've pissed me right off with the patronising 'over 25' garbage WTGR. 

58 minutes ago, Unan said:

I get your point, and it's often true. However I'm well over 25 and don't believe anything told in the press or media, until I check it out for myself.

You have generations brought up trusting politicians, doctors, bankers, media, the whole system we live in.

Everything is led by an agenda  of money. It all leads to power, dominance and greed.

There are plenty of over 25's that have realised this...and with the advent of the internet, finding facts and truth's is a lot easier thankfully.

Re the point about fake news on here...Bristol City FC is just like any other business in the world. Full of agenda and smoke and mirrors. Some spoken is truth, some said to detract, some said to make the fans feel wanted. You've just got to read between the lines and fathom the reality out for yourself.

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

What a load of bollocks that is!

Thanks for the life lecture which is extremely patronising. As I'm an old fart, I couldn't possibly understand this information could I? 

Yes, I didn't grow up with the internet but know exactly how to use it, as I do in my current role all the time and have set up websites for businesses in previous positions many times. Just because people were born in a different era, doesn't mean they don't adapt to the current one. Maybe if you had a bit more life experience, you would know that.

Yes, you've pissed me right off with the patronising 'over 25' garbage WTGR. 

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

I get your point, and it's often true. However I'm well over 25 and don't believe anything told in the press or media, until I check it out for myself.

You have generations brought up trusting politicians, doctors, bankers, media, the whole system we live in.

Everything is led by an agenda  of money. It all leads to power, dominance and greed.

There are plenty of over 25's that have realised this...and with the advent of the internet, finding facts and truth's is a lot easier thankfully.

Re the point about fake news on here...Bristol City FC is just like any other business in the world. Full of agenda and smoke and mirrors. Some spoken is truth, some said to detract, some said to make the fans feel wanted. You've just got to read between the lines and fathom the reality out for yourself.

In reply to both of you, of course I don’t mean every single person over 25 I was generalising. If I knew it would’ve created this uproar then I would’ve been more specific but due to it being a football forum I didn’t deem it necessary, my apologies, I won’t make that mistake again

3 minutes ago, Unan said:

In reply to both of you, of course I don’t mean every single person over 25 I was generalising. If I knew it would’ve created this uproar then I would’ve been more specific but due to it being a football forum I didn’t deem it necessary, my apologies, I won’t make that mistake again

Fair enough.

You are underestimating older generations WTGR Unan. We do actually manage to remember to breath in and out without you young 'uns reminding us and were under 25 at one time, albeit a fair old time ago in my case. 

1 minute ago, Unan said:

I would say you are generally right...however, I was having a discussion with some under 30's in my local yesterday evening. The opposite was the case...they believed everything they were being told on the news.

They hadn't looked into the Syrian false flag, the nerve agent scam...all set up for further agendas.

So...it does go across the whole spectrum of ages.

It has more to do with having an educated mind imo.

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

You are underestimating older generations WTGR Unan. We do actually manage to remember to breath in and out without you young 'uns reminding us and were under 25 at one time, albeit a fair old time ago in my case. 

I believe ‘people over 25’ are much wiser in most respects. I’ve just found, from personal experiences, that the older generations will truly believe what they watch/read without looking elsewhere for any validity.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

I would say you are generally right...however, I was having a discussion with some under 30's in my local yesterday evening. The opposite was the case...they believed everything they were being told on the news.

They hadn't looked into the Syrian false flag, the nerve agent scam...all set up for further agendas.

Possibly so, I’m only commenting on my personal experiences (which includes social media so I’d say it’s quite broad). I think you have to be very ignorant/naive to be born in to the internet era and still not have a better understanding of how these things work but this is getting very off topic so I’ll stop now ;)

Apologies to anyone I may have offended.

1 hour ago, Unan said:

Football was  invented in 1992 , and the internet only began in the 21st century, jesus it's no wonder most under 25s are thought of as thick who struggle to wipe their own backsides without the use of an app. 

By the way the last bit is not true, it was a bullshit generalisation,  just like the nonesense above.

1 minute ago, Unan said:

I believe ‘people over 25’ are much wiser in most respects. I’ve just found, from personal experiences, that the older generations will truly believe what they watch/read without looking elsewhere for any validity.

We will agree to disagree Unan as I'm very much in agreement with Spudski. I don't think I know anyone in my generation who actually believes anything written in the press nowadays. Under 25's won't remember the media frenzy when Blair was in power but it certainly made our generation question anything put in print. The advent of the internet age has allowed everyone to search for the truth.

I will admit that in the days before the internet, we were spoon fed propaganda but didn't have the facility to negate that information which we, obviously, do now. 

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

We will agree to disagree Unan as I'm very much in agreement with Spudski. I don't think I know anyone in my generation who actually believes anything written in the press nowadays. Under 25's won't remember the media frenzy when Blair was in power but it certainly made our generation question anything put in print. The advent of the internet age has allowed everyone to search for the truth.

I will admit that in the days before the internet, we were spoon fed propaganda but didn't have the facility to negate that information which we, obviously, do now. 

I can safely say that I do know people in their 60s who believe everything printed in the Daily Fail.

That's Devon for you!

1 minute ago, devoncider said:

I can safely say that I do know people in their 60s who believe everything printed in the Daily Fail.

That's Devon for you!

Aaah, Devon. That's a whole new topic. ;)

I'm planning on heading that way when I eventually retire but I'm not prepared to slow down for a good few years just yet. 

It's a lovely part of the world though. 

15 minutes ago, Unan said:

In defence of the ready-for-pasture brigade born before 1980 (25 is way too young haha), we have grown up in different cultural times.

As each year progresses there is less and less respect for authority, less and less presumption of honesty and more and more cynicism. The younger generation have been bred and spoon fed to distrust everything that they are told - "fake news" that wasn't a phrase 5 years ago.

You'd be an oddball if you weren't a skeptic given how all the millenials have known from the media is cynicism. But there are some oddballs, just as there are some Reaper-avoiders who can say to the Shoreditch lot 'hold my beer...' 

17 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair enough.

Forgive me, I'm too old to understand this modern mumbo-jumbo. What on earth is WTGR?

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

The older generations are far more cynical and loath to believe what we are presented with as the truth by the media and politicians.

Passage of time has proved we've been lied to disgracefully on major issues many times before, we remember and resent that deceit, and we know the chances are we're being lied to again.

At least we haven't fallen for the whole 'fake sheik ' 6th richest team in the country BS

Bristol City are about to finish in the top half, maybe top 6, in one of the most competitive divisions in world football. We're a relatively small fish in a gurt big pond, the suits at bound to put a positive spin on it. 

Believe whoever you want to.

2 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

Here's a good example:

I listened to it twice....bugger for punishment.  I didn’t think it was anything other than an honest interview.  I’ve said before I would rather LJ wasn’t quite so open....because people jump on it.

Archived