IGNORED

OTIB: the home of fake news

DaveInSA

A long time ago , someone told me that it is not what you say, it is what someone hears that you say.

This forum is full of posters with varying views on the club, players and the head coach. Depending on that viewpoint, a poster will "interpret" any public statements by the club and it's representatives in line with their perception and often to suit their argument.

Based on OTIB reaction, it seems to me that the only failsafe policy the club can adopt is to say nothing about anything only then , of course, the club would be widely criticised for not communicating well enough! :).

I would add, that I do think LJ's comment about a difficult summer would have been better left until the season has ended.

8 minutes ago, 29AR said:

In defence of the ready-for-pasture brigade born before 1980 (25 is way too young haha), we have grown up in different cultural times.

As each year progresses there is less and less respect for authority, less and less presumption of honesty and more and more cynicism. The younger generation have been bred and spoon fed to distrust everything that they are told - "fake news" that wasn't a phrase 5 years ago.

You'd be an oddball if you weren't a skeptic given how all the millenials have known from the media is cynicism. But there are some oddballs, just as there are some Reaper-avoiders who can say to the Shoreditch lot 'hold my beer...' 

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The older generations are far more cynical and loath to believe what we are presented with as the truth by the media and politicians.

Passage of time has proved we've been lied to disgracefully on major issues many times before, we remember and resent that deceit, and we know the chances are we're being lied to again.

Spot on gentlemen! :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The older generations are far more cynical and loath to believe what we are presented with as the truth by the media and politicians.

Passage of time has proved we've been lied to disgracefully on major issues many times before, we remember and resent that deceit, and we know the chances are we're being lied to again.

Interesting. When do you think the distrust began happening - for me it was Thatcher's govt onwards. To be honest I am quite closely aligned with @Unan as a sweeping generalisation, but for me the categories would have been more broadly under 40's and over 40's. 

During the Cold War ( the previous one!), Russia and the USA had an athletics match with an athlete from each nation competing in each event.

The American's reported the result of the 100 metres as being won by the American Athlete. Pravda, the official newspaper of the Russian Communist Party, reported that the Russian was runner up and the American finished last but one.

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

At the end of the day we're all exactly the same, some are just a bit wrinklier and need to get up in the middle of the night to piss.

You get up? 

Anyway, on a lighter hearted note, how can my generation take the younger one seriously when they wear their trousers low to show their underwear? I watched a programme a while ago which showed the original meaning on this and, rest assured, every young 'un would wear their trousers like Simon Cowell if they knew its' origin! ;)

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I listened to it twice....bugger for punishment.  I didn’t think it was anything other than an honest interview.  I’ve said before I would rather LJ wasn’t quite so open....because people jump on it.

I agree 

Don’t know whether he’d just come of the training ground , but he looked a bit shot away / weary with it all , to some degree 

4 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

I piss off my son, when I refer to his "music" as jingly jangly crap! What larks.

Same here with my daughter. She plays all the modern rap garbage. My response is 'it's missing a 'C' from the front'. we're not talking Grand Master Flash here! 

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Same here with my daughter. She plays on the modern rap garbage, my response is 'it's missing a 'C' from the front'. we're not talking Grand Master Flash here! 

Exactly what I say to my lad! That missing "C"! Load of bloody shite.

My daughter is more into Ed Sheehan, which is still a pile of steaming wank, but better than that risible ordure.

4 hours ago, Unan said:

The under 25s know how to find non-bias information for themselves and create rational opinions based on facts. It’s the older people who blindly read the same 3 newspapers all owned by the same 1 company.

Yep, and the ones who are but a few years from a wooden box voted us out of Europe so the younger population pick up the fallout. 

I'm amazed how measured, fair and empathetic my children and their friends are. 

Easy to assume the old ones have it right. In my view, they haven't. 

Just now, Juan Kerr said:

Exactly what I say to my lad! That missing "C"! Load of bloody shite.

My daughter is more Ed Sheehan, which is still a pile of steaming wank, but better than that risible ordure.

LOOOL!

My eldest is into rock music, particularly AC DC so I can live with that. The daughter likes 21 pilots (I think they're called), I just say 'I wish they would fly off somewhere else', normally met by a sulking face and accusations of having no taste. I did catch her listening to the Specials the other day so there is hope. ;)

8 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

LOOOL!

My eldest is into rock music, particularly AC DC so I can live with that. The daughter likes 21 pilots (I think they're called), I just say 'I wish they would fly off somewhere else', normally met by a sulking face and accusations of having no taste. I did catch her listening to the Specials the other day so there is hope. ;)

Great stuff. Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix from my kids this week. 

I do all I can to encourage them to play as much music as possible. Food for the soul. Some of it anyway! 

Always thought the hifi in yer living room should always be more expensive that your TV.  Unfortunately I meet very few people who use their living room for music.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

LOOOL!

My son liked The Stranglers when he was very young, but he has been drawn into this rap shite. How the fuck do they listen to It?

Good news about yours liking AC/DC and The Specials though!

5 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

My son liked The Stranglers when he was very young, but he has been drawn into this rap shite. How the fuck do they listen to It?

Good news about yours liking AC/DC and The Specials though!

Feel like I've got to defend the rap shite for a minute.

Is it the mumbling stuff or is it 80s and 90s hip hop?

5 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Feel like I've got to defend the rap shite for a minute.

Is it the mumbling stuff or is it 80s and 90s hip hop?

This is the utter garbage my youngest listens to. Absolute shite!

2 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

All of it....sorry fella. Can't abide It, although a fan of Northern soul, punk, new wave.

A man of taste, well done Sir!

4 hours ago, Unan said:

No, you grew up not knowing any different and the bulk of you understandably have always believed what the big news companies have told you. These days with the internet it is much easier to find a wide variety of information from literally thousands of different sources. Did you know over 90% of media corporations in the USA are owned by only 6 companies?

B1B8FFF1-8C33-4D8B-9FCB-5BFA5543AC6C.png

A bit like watching the X factor

I’m sick to death of R ‘n’ B to be honest. We must have had about 20 years of the same old shite and it’s still being churned out. All one or two hit wonders, poorly written lyrics (if any).  Might as well have been written in text speak. I have listened to R ‘n’ B and trust me, the shite that gets pumped out today definitely ain’t no R ‘n’ B!

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

This is the utter garbage my youngest listens to. Absolute shite!

A man of taste, well done Sir!

Jesus christ.

Admittedly mod and britpop stuff is more my sort of thing, but got nothing but respect for the pioneers if rap music. Sure there was an article a few years ago that worked out that some of the members of the Wu-Tang Clan (an original hip hop collective) had a broader vocabulary than Shakespeare.

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I know how to find different opinions from the mainstream.

I'm 65.....

Then you, my friend, are radically different from other people I know (and am possibly related to) in their 60s.

19 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Jesus christ.

Admittedly mod and britpop stuff is more my sort of thing, but got nothing but respect for the pioneers if rap music. Sure there was an article a few years ago that worked out that some of the members of the Wu-Tang Clan (an original hip hop collective) had a broader vocabulary than Shakespeare. 

Not surprising. I doubt William had a lot of call to use *Racist Term Removed*, Meth, Headphones or I'll fuck your ass up!

25 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Jesus christ.

It's shockingly bad isn't it? :gaah:

6 hours ago, Unan said:

No, you grew up not knowing any different and the bulk of you understandably have always believed what the big news companies have told you. These days with the internet it is much easier to find a wide variety of information from literally thousands of different sources. Did you know over 90% of media corporations in the USA are owned by only 6 companies?

B1B8FFF1-8C33-4D8B-9FCB-5BFA5543AC6C.png

So in your world, over 25s are not capable of using the Internet?! And how the hell do you know what the ‘bulk’ of over 25s believe news-wise?!

Archived