IGNORED

who recalls russell osman in escape to victory?

17 hours ago, Edge1981 said:

Wasn’t his line something like “come on lads, we can win this”?

Yep, at half time when they have the chance to escape through that tunnel dug by Sly’s mates under the team bath haha. 

Escape from the Germans or stay and play going back to the prison camp after?!? Easy choice Russ...:bonkers:

16 hours ago, bs3 said:

Yes it was , he said it at half time when there had the chance of escape through the sewers.

Judging by City performances under Russell he must have used “come on lads we can win this” to no avail on more than one occasion.

It wasn’t his first line in the film though - as I said it was “Well, I don’t know how you did it, but cheers anyway..” it’s here on 29:48:

On 20/04/2018 at 20:45, spudski said:

I remember going around Osman's house, and the only thing on the walls that gave any indication that he used to be a footballer, were pictures from that film.

His housekeeper had no idea that he used to be an ex footballer.

Used to be an ex footballer ?

Is he playing again  ?

If I recall. Stallone wanted to be the star man on the pitch. Unfortunately he was so shit at football they had no choice but to stick him in goal. Even then, they had to redo the penalty kick multiple times because Stallone couldn’t save it. 

On 21/04/2018 at 15:45, poland_exile said:

i wish he hadn't escaped. worst manager in my life as a city fan - from Cole and Jacki to Baird and Robinson ffs 

what did you expect. David Russe gave him a budget of about 25 pence and wanted change. Considering he had to import the likes of Glenn Pennyfather and Henry McKop I thought he worked a miracle. It wasnt exciting to watch....and amazingly when Joe Jordan followed him as a manager, was given a considerably bigger budget. The dice were stacked against Osman from the start

59 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He was a better actor than football manager. With one exception, the cup replay win at Anfield. But if you couldn't get a team to perform there you would have to be utterly useless.

Plenty of better managers than RO failed to get their (infinitely better) teams to perform at Anfield in the season just ended, yet they aren’t deemed ‘utterly useless’ ... and our line up at Anfield in ‘94 didn’t look brill on paper - it did alright on the pitch though ...

I remember he kept us up with a brand of football that rivalled Pullis and got rid of any flair , Jacki did the half time draw and wasn’t seen again , terrible times at the Gate and yes he was in a film and kept us up !! 

16 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

what did you expect. David Russe gave him a budget of about 25 pence and wanted change. Considering he had to import the likes of Glenn Pennyfather and Henry McKop I thought he worked a miracle. It wasnt exciting to watch....and amazingly when Joe Jordan followed him as a manager, was given a considerably bigger budget. The dice were stacked against Osman from the start

What did i expect? I didn't expect him to boot out the most talented player many of us have ever had the pleasure to watch. 

Neither did I expect him to revert to the kind of brutalist football you'd have expected to watch at Twerton. 

I didn't expect him to suck the life and joy out of watching City. 

The dice might have been stacked against him, but he did little to ease his situation and endear him to the crowd - and speaking of which, yeah, those were the days it sank to below 7,000 if I rightly recall. 

I'm glad you thought he worked a miracle, but I am not alone in my indictment of him and stand firm in my opinion. This was an unsuccessful version of Neil Warnock. You're welcome to him, personally I'd rather have someone else and will forever remember Osman as the man who took our club back to the cave age. 

4 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

What did i expect? I didn't expect him to boot out the most talented player many of us have ever had the pleasure to watch. 

Neither did I expect him to revert to the kind of brutalist football you'd have expected to watch at Twerton. 

I didn't expect him to suck the life and joy out of watching City. 

The dice might have been stacked against him, but he did little to ease his situation and endear him to the crowd - and speaking of which, yeah, those were the days it sank to below 7,000 if I rightly recall. 

I'm glad you thought he worked a miracle, but I am not alone in my indictment of him and stand firm in my opinion. This was an unsuccessful version of Neil Warnock. You're welcome to him, personally I'd rather have someone else and will forever remember Osman as the man who took our club back to the cave age. 

and also had our highest league position for years. I repeat, considering his minimal budget, he worked a miracle. If he was given the same resources as his successor, things wouldnt have looked so grey. 

14 hours ago, shelts said:

I remember he kept us up with a brand of football that rivalled Pullis and got rid of any flair , Jacki did the half time draw and wasn’t seen again , terrible times at the Gate and yes he was in a film and kept us up !! 

Didn't see many moaning about the football when we won at Anfield.

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

and also had our highest league position for years. I repeat, considering his minimal budget, he worked a miracle. If he was given the same resources as his successor, things wouldnt have looked so grey. 

I will just say I'm very glad he wasn't given the chance. 

I think on this point, we have to agree to disagree!! 

3 hours ago, poland_exile said:

I will just say I'm very glad he wasn't given the chance. 

I think on this point, we have to agree to disagree!! 

I thought he was terrible at the time but I hadn't appreciated the financial constraints that he was working under.

If you know that you have one of the weakest teams in the division then your only option is to "do a Sunderland" and stick nine or ten men in defence with one or two up to pick up an odd lucky longball.

That's going to mean grinding out loads of nil nil draws as he did in order to give yourself a chance of staying up.

Those weren't fun times for anyone; probably for Russ least of all.

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I thought he was terrible at the time but I hadn't appreciated the financial constraints that he was working under.

If you know that you have one of the weakest teams in the division then your only option is to "do a Sunderland" and stick nine or ten men in defence with one or two up to pick up an odd lucky longball.

That's going to mean grinding out loads of nil nil draws as he did in order to give yourself a chance of staying up.

Those weren't fun times for anyone; probably for Russ least of all.

quite. It was an easy time to knock him, and some very grey football followed but when you look at the ridiculous constraints he was under........there wasnt exactly a queue of clubs to sign Pennyfather and McKop

On 06/06/2019 at 13:05, Super said:

Didn't see many moaning about the football when we won at Anfield.

Yes that was a great night for sure , shackles off let’s go at em . Uninspired football that kept us up . Job done 

Archived