IGNORED

The Bristol City FC v Hull City FC Match Day Thread 44

Septic Peg

Morning folks.

Today's match day thread is brought to you by the letter H.

Hull City. Dean Windass. Bradley Orr's broken facial bones... the stuff of nightmares...

Anyway. Hull City.

So I'm not going to bother you will a pile of info you already know. I'm gonna do some delving after a little tweet and an episode of Question of Sport, gave me an idea.

Just this week, Bristol City's 'brother from another mother', Bristol Rugby decided to abandon all tradition and make the move to become the Bristol Bears. This is pretty common place in Rugby, Bristol themselves being the "Bristol Shoguns" when in 2001, Mitsubishi spunked £2m for a 5 year sponsorship. 

So the rugger join an a team of rebrands such as Leicester Tigers (proper name is just Leicester), Newcastle Falcons (previously Newcastle Gosforth) and Sale Sharks (previously Sale).

It's noteworthy of the modern era that so many teams nowadays are following the USA method of naming teams with a nickname after e.g. Miami Dolphins, LA Lakers, Boston Red Sox etc... and it's not just Rugby either. Alongside the Bears, we have the Flyers - basketball and the Jets - badminton.

But no football (soccer for our American cousins) team in the UK has done the same.

But that's not for the lack of trying...

Hull City are owned by a forceful personality in Assam Allam. He openly admits he is not a football fan, and he bought Hull City as part of a pledge to his community to give something back. 

3 years after rescuing them, he got them promoted back to the Premier League and it was then that the name change saga began...

Allam felt that the 'city' part of the name was too common. Too many other teams had the same suffix and he wanted a rebrand to "Hull Tigers". Many fans were in disgust with this but he went ahead anyway and started changing all documentation to ensure the new name.

But he hit a stumbling block. He could make all the administrative changes he wanted but to officially change the name as it would appear to the media and the league, he had to apply to the FA. The FA then confirmed they would talk to all parties involved inc the protesting Hull fans.

Sadly, after the end of the first year back in the Prem, the FA voted 70/30 against the name change, and they still remain as Hull City to this day.

So my question is, will we be making that same push? Will Steve apply for us to become Bristol Robins? Bristol Birds, Bristol Beavers? :whistle:

Who knows...

On to today...

Draw 1-1. Bob bob super bob 2.0 to score.

Coyr....

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Just this week, Bristol City's 'brother from another mother', Bristol Rugby decided to abandon all tradition and make the move to become the Bristol Bears. This is pretty common place in Rugby, Bristol themselves being the "Bristol Shoguns" when in 2001, Mitsubishi spunked £2m for a 5 year sponsorship. 

So the rugger join an a team of rebrands such as Leicester Tigers (proper name is just Leicester), Newcastle Falcons (previously Newcastle Gosforth) and Sale Sharks (previously Sale).

It's noteworthy of the modern era that so many teams nowadays are following the USA method of naming teams with a nickname after e.g. Miami Dolphins, LA Lakers, Boston Red Sox etc... and it's not just Rugby either. Alongside the Bears, we have the Flyers - basketball and the Jets - badminton.

But no football (soccer for our American cousins) team in the UK has done the same.

But that's not for the lack of trying...

So my question is, will we be making that same push? Will Steve apply for us to become Bristol Robins? Bristol Birds, Bristol Beavers? :whistle:

Who knows...

On to today...

Draw 1-1. Bob bob super bob 2.0 to score.

Coyr....

Seeing that the bear is such a strong, beautiful, dominant animal - and I say that after watching Leo D being torn apart in Revenant for the first time during the week - I wouldn't mind if the club became Bristol City Bears FC!

If I "think for a minute", I Can only go with a 4-0, either way, no "sitting on the fence", lets hope it’s in our favour and we score our goals within a "happy hour"!  

As for our defence, push-up and make sure "we’re not deep".

We will be ‘anxious" waiting for other results.

BED609BD-01AE-4A1D-B6C3-A433A8950FF6.jpeg.47f28bd0229332ca3a93ce9b3c267319.jpeg

Perhaps today should’ve been "flag day"

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

If I "think for a minute", I Can only go with a 4-0, either way, no "sitting on the fence", lets hope it’s in our favour and we score our goals within a "happy hour"!  

As for our defence, push-up and make sure "we’re not deep".

We will be ‘anxious" waiting for other results.

BED609BD-01AE-4A1D-B6C3-A433A8950FF6.jpeg.47f28bd0229332ca3a93ce9b3c267319.jpeg

Perhaps today should’ve been "flag day"

If we're 4 down at half time it might only be me and the farmer left...

If we win today, the final 2 weeks of the season will be incredibly tense and exciting.

Despite the bad form recently, if we get a good win this afternoon, we will be much more confident facing a relaxed Forest, and then what a match against the Blades.

8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Today will be the day we change our tactics and really go for it.  We have nothing to lose now, it's just gotta be 3 points.  A few goals to as at this stage off the season goal difference could mean an extra point. Millwall losing last night'sand the result of the Middlesbrough derby match will be interesting.

Hope Bobby isn’t played LM.  Get Joe there (or Niklas), Callum on the right, and let’s see some width and crosses.  Perm Brownhill, Smith and Pack in the middle 2.

6 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Sun , few ciders, watching city . What Saturdays are all about. Like to see Taylor up with Bobby. Try keeping on the floor today. 3-1 City. COYR OTIB 

I wouldn’t mind seeing that partnership given a go....really press their back line, get the crowd up for it.  Would hate to see a dull one later.

26 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Sun , few ciders, watching city . What Saturdays are all about. Like to see Taylor up with Bobby. Try keeping on the floor today. 3-1 City. COYR OTIB 

Raining in BOS at the moment, dont want to upset you but its moving north !!

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

In answer to your question Pegs not a chance there will be a football team name change especially of the crass hyperbole of which you so eloquently speak.

Is there a match on today then? I had absolutely no idea. Marvellous bliss.

I'm not having one of my senior moments am I? You did want me to do the thread? Lolz.

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Today will be the day we change our tactics and really go for it.  We have nothing to lose now, it's just gotta be 3 points.  A few goals to as at this stage off the season goal difference could mean an extra point. Millwall losing last night'sand the result of the Middlesbrough derby match will be interesting.

I was kind of hoping we could have done that 3 months ago

Archived