IGNORED

Squad of 76 - in the Supporters Bar after today’s game

Dollymarie

35 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Any idea if they are going onto the pitch at half time? They deserve a great reception from the crowd 

Agreed, though half the ground disappears underneath at half time so any presentation then never gets the regonition it deserves in my opinion. 

Nonsense. The last group of players to achieve top flight football. There have been many who have tried and failed in The ensuing 30 odd years. Until their achievement is equalled they'll always be looked at in this way. 

11 minutes ago, The Hustler said:

Sometimes get the feeling ex players get built up to be more than they actually are/were. Good players in their day, but their legend status seems to snowball over the years.

Nice little pay day for them as well - one I expect they are a little embarrassed about.

Winner! 

Fishing at its very, very best.

A younger me salutes you!

Just now, glynriley said:

Nonsense. The last group of players to achieve top flight football. There have been many who have tried and failed in The ensuing 30 odd years. In till their achievement is equalled they'll always be looked at in this way. 

Agreed. A fantastic achievement and one not matched for over 30 odd years. However, some of the players were 'good' players and not these 'god like' figures they are sometimes made out to be.

Knowing some of these former players personally, they have told me how bad they used to be treated by the football club in comparison to the other clubs they played for. So much so that they had a lot of bad feeling towards the club.

The club are now making a much more conserted effort towards their former players. The words of one of the former players was that he appreciates what the club are doing but feels a bit embarrassed being built up as a legend and icon when all they were doing was getting paid to play football at the time. He also stated that the club now give them a sizeable fee for turning up to these functions and one that they can't turn down for being paid to watch a football match.

Just passing on what I've been told. Not saying anymore.

11 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

How many of these are still working? I guessmost of them would be fully retired by now.

Would be nice to see Taints again after his recent health scare.

Played with Trev for Imperial Bristol....true gent.

2 hours ago, The Hustler said:

Sometimes get the feeling ex players get built up to be more than they actually are/were. Good players in their day, but their legend status seems to snowball over the years.

Nice little pay day for them as well - one I expect they are a little embarrassed about.

Well, they managed to get promoted to the top flight of English football. As we haven’t been there again for nearly forty years, for me, I’m happy to give them the applause they deserve. As for “a nice little pay day” they didn’t make much money in their playing career, so I don’t object to them getting a free meal at the ground 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Well, they managed to get promoted to the top flight of English football. As we haven’t been there again for nearly forty years, for me, I’m happy to give them the applause they deserve. As for “a nice little pay day” they didn’t make much money in their playing career, so I don’t object to them getting a free meal at the ground 

Quite right. However, the club do also give them a substantial 'appearance' fee as well. Something the ex players are happy to accept but feel a little 'embarrassed' to receive for having to turn up and simply watch a free game of football. 

The point being, had the club treated them a bit better in the past (eg. Inviting them to a match then billing them for their ticket) the club wouldn't have to pay them a substantial fee to come back. It's good the club is being more proactive towards its ex players but it has raised a few eyebrows among certain players who get treated like royalty at their other clubs.

Also, like it or not, a lot of these players feel little affiliation to the BCFC and in fact follow other clubs - in some cases, clubs they previously played for. Just saying what I have been told that's all. The club are trying to build bridges it has previously burnt in the past. 

Archived