IGNORED

If we can only keep one of Bobby or Joe...

Robin1988

Givej City won’t want to let both run their contracts down if I had to pick one, it’d be Bobby all day.

When the chips are down, Joe goes missing all too often. Bobby has been a class act and showed how good he is again today.

We saw last season how bad Bryan gets when he’s off the boil, and even though he scored today he gets paid to defend and neither of our full-backs were up to much, let’s be honest.

For the question you'd say keep Bobby, we have Kelly to bring in whereas we don't have a direct replacement who matches Bobby. But in reality I feel both will be off in the summer, Bobby if he doesn't sign a new contract as we probably could still get £5m for him and Joe because I expect will have a lot of interest. 

1 minute ago, MC RISK77 said:

Both will go I am afraid...flint also a maybe but possibly more difficult to any buying club given the length of his contract

I’d be astonished if he hasn’t got a ‘sensible’ buy out clause in his new contract - will go IMHO and very difficult to replace , unusually though not on today’s performance

Bryan doesn’t look fussed , arrogant at times and on recent performances absolutely replaceable 

Bobby continues to fight and show great attitude and increasingly his technical ability and increasingly his football brain too

Absolutely sure he’s off and would be very expensive to replace if you can find a player showing his skills , improvement and attitude 

6 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I wouldn't let Bobby go without a fight.  He is like having 2 players on the pitch.  What we need is a few more like him.

The fight would be futile imo..if I was wolves/Fulham/Cardiff going up I would be astonished if they don’t have bobby on radar..then you have the likes of Brighton/Huddersfield/palace/swansea/Burnley who may also have him on their radar and bidding could go to 15m. we would not be able to hold him and if it is to be believed we develop our own to sell for big money then bob will be an example of this.

22 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Givej City won’t want to let both run their contracts down if I had to pick one, it’d be Bobby all day.

When the chips are down, Joe goes missing all too often. Bobby has been a class act and showed how good he is again today.

We saw last season how bad Bryan gets when he’s off the boil, and even though he scored today he gets paid to defend and neither of our full-backs were up to much, let’s be honest.

Not even a debate to be had in my opinion, Bobby all day long. And I never thought I'd ever find myself saying that. 

Sadly it seems we'll lose both.

2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

At 15 million, I guess we would have to let him go.  Not sure how much bids for Joe Bryan and Aden Flint might be.

Half of what they'd have been in January, this lot are depreciating faster than a top of the range Citroen saloon.

While I am a massive fan of Joe ,his performance today was terrible - ripped apart all day by their winger, mis-kicked instead of volleyed and definitely at fault for one of the goals - think fourth.

He is good going forward and has had some excellent games in the cup, but he doesn't cover himself in glory defending against some teams (like today).

If you judged him on today's match he'll be with us next season - it is too much of a risk whether the real Joe B turns up - the prem needs consistency!

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm pretty sure Bobby will go - and the annual search for a new top goalscorer will begin.

We've been pretty lucky  in that respect for the last three seasons. Not sure we'll make it 4 times lucky.

I`m not so sure listening to his pre match interview on Twentypence, he said he has another year with us and doesn`t want to discuss contracts until after the season.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part though.

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Personally , I can see as likely the departures of

Flint

And Bryan

And Reid

and possibles

Baker

Pack

This - absolutely.

I'd add Mags to the list as well - there is a side out there that will suit his game - watch him have a storming World Cup.

I agree Bob - all 5 will be off.

Better clubs have seen how well they play, and will want them.

And I bet they all improve - I could even see BR getting an England Call-up if he goes to the Prem

What a great war chest for a new manager.............

8 minutes ago, SX227 said:

This - absolutely.

I'd add Mags to the list as well - there is a side out there that will suit his game - watch him have a storming World Cup.

I agree Bob - all 5 will be off.

Better clubs have seen how well they play, and will want them.

And I bet they all improve - I could even see BR getting an England Call-up if he goes to the Prem

What a great war chest for a new manager.............

Agree about Mags

Also think we’d let Matty Taylor go to a reasonable bid

If those 5 plus a few extras like MT HM and Engvall presumably all went that’s a hell of a lot of recruiting and rebuilding to do 

You can’t keep hoping to do that

We are certainly looking like we may need a near or completely new back four 

As good as Kelly looks I think it would be unfair to expect him to perform over a 46 Game season - I’d see him as a bonus who may force himself a place but not one we should heap too much hope or responsibility on too soon - it’s an unforgiving league

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`m not so sure listening to his pre match interview on Twentypence, he said he has another year with us and doesn`t want to discuss contracts until after the season.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part though.

Quite.  I'd love it to be the case too, but players nowadays have agents constantly whispering in their ears about how they need to "further their careers".

15 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Quite.  I'd love it to be the case too, but players nowadays have agents constantly whispering in their ears about how they need to "further their careers".

Bobby’s career is certainly on the up, but I don’t think Bristol City are sadly. He will go on to do well, but at another club. Right now Bobby is the very last player I want to see leave, and I never, even thought I would be saying that. He has been a joy to watch, never gone missing and has made us tick.

Players come and go but it will be a long time before we get another Bobby Reid. We will never pay out for a ‘ready made’ replacement as he will be too expensive, best we can do is find one and it’s taken us years and years of developing him, I really don’t think we will see a player like him again in quite a while.

I'm sure he is off, why wouldn’t he be. We in all honesty aren’t good enough for him and he deserves better. 

It comes down to contracts and market value.

In Bobby we have a £15m asset with one year left in his contract. We can’t risk letting that run down and him leave for free. 

I’ve read some people think we can just get our cheque book out for Bobby and he’ll stay. The reality is even if he is made our top earner on say, £20k per week, he could easily end up on double that. Even with a signing on fee from us, that’s nearly a £4m extra over 4 years (not including whatever signing on fee he’d get from a new club). We can’t compete with that. 

Joe Bryan and Flint we hold a few more cards because of their contract lengths. So ulitmately someone needs to stump up the cash, considerable cash, for these two, we’ve seen over the past few seasons (with Flint for example) that predicted big bid just haven’t come in, so these will be interesting.

I’m not predicting the squad decimation some are expecting, although you can see 3 or 4 first teamers getting a move.

Archived