IGNORED

Team For 18/19

Davefevs

8 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

I think a back three of Vyner Flint Kelly would be very well balanced and a strong foundation to build a 3-5-2.

LJ seems to struggle to understand the requirement for fb's to defend in a 442, so I would worry about LJ doing this even more in a 352. Whilst I would like more players in the midfield, we just don't have the strength on the wings or with a commanding keeper to do this at championship level, unlike in L1. A pity, I agree.

5 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Also highly inexperienced. It would be a worry, irrespective of how much talent they have if both Vyner and Kelly are in the starting XI next year. Time will tell. 

Which also confuses me as to why Kelly hasn't been given more games this season, especially considering how poor patterson and often bryan have been. Bryan to left wing and kelly to Lb would have provided us with so much more.

56 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Are you on the wind up? 

Wright a poor signing? Diedhiou jury out? Baker jury out? Yet Steele was a good signing? 

Wow

Sorry do not rate Wright at all. I initially gave Baker the green. However, the talk of him potentially leaving due to his lifestyle, or whatever has gone has me scratching my head as to why the club would of brought him in. When all we hear from Ashton is the strict protocol into deciding whether a player fits the club.

And yes, Steele is a good keeper at this level. 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think we might lose Flint, Baker, Pack, Bryan and Reid over the summer.  Think Pisano might head back to Italy too.

Here’s our starting line-up next season.

Fielding;

New RB, Wright, New CB / Magnússon, Kelly

O’Dowda, Brownhill, Smith, Eliasson

New ST, Diedhiou

Rest of squad;

Steele, Moore, Vyner, Hegeler, Paterson, New CM, Taylor, Djúric, etc

#worried

Genuinely #worried About next season to be honest

let's say we lose Flint, Bryan and Bobby  the worry is do we really have championship ready Players already at the club to replace them?  I think the answer is probably not.

LJ was also talking about needing a leader so unless he has one in mind that's even more money we have to spend. Marlon was the only player I saw yesterday Who was screaming at his teammates pointing to his temples telling people to stay  switched on. We really need to add a steely edge because despite Playing some wonderful football we didn't have the ability to bully anyone

If Steve Lansdown gives him a decent budget over the summer it will make a mockery of  why we didn't invest in  January to freshen things up and add some impetus

love him or hate  him  but Alex Ferguson more often  then not added a new  face or two in January when they were in their pomp and cited it as always  aiding their success  due to keeping everyone on point and focused on the business end of the season

I do still believe that an injury free Matty Taylor playing regularly could well be our surprise package for next season and an injury free Fam with a season of English football should be getting a good return,  let's hope so because over the last three seasons without JK, Tammy and Bobby  we would  have seen the return of Bristol derbies!!!  

if Bobby goes gone are the days when you can go out and buy a 20 goal striker  without paying stupid money. added to that the wages that  our owner is  rightly or wrongly unwilling to pay. 

I hear the P word bandied about so much it's horrifying.  we may well have progressed  in some ways but  come the summer we could very well be going backwards

11 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

Genuinely #worried About next season to be honest

me too

let's say we lose Flint, Bryan and Bobby  the worry is do we really have championship ready Players already at the club to replace them?  I think the answer is probably not.

We don’t, unless some really step up.  Two of those three haven’t let their standards drop like others. 

LJ was also talking about needing a leader so unless he has one in mind that's even more money we have to spend. Marlon was the only player I saw yesterday Who was screaming at his teammates pointing to his temples telling people to stay  switched on. We really need to add a steely edge because despite Playing some wonderful football we didn't have the ability to bully anyone

Thought Marlon was great yesterday, but let down elsewhere.

If Steve Lansdown gives him a decent budget over the summer it will make a mockery of  why we didn't invest in  January to freshen things up and add some impetus

Mmmm, very good point.  Not something I’d related too up to now.  I think he didn’t invest in January because the money wasn’t there.  I don’t think it will be in the summer too.  Transfer Window 5 is likely to be the most important in terms of players coming in / going out, and it’s effin World Cup summer, and an earlier deadline.  Better get things done early.

love him or hate  him  but Alex Ferguson more often  then not added a new  face or two in January when they were in their pomp and cited it as always  aiding their success  due to keeping everyone on point and focused on the business end of the season

I’m a bit mixed on this Re January, but do take the old Liverpool approach of improving the squad when it’s at the top.

I do still believe that an injury free Matty Taylor playing regularly could well be our surprise package for next season.   let's hope so because over the last three seasons without JK, Tammy and Bobby  we would  have seen the return of Bristol derbies!!!  if Bobby goes gone are the days when you can go out and buy a 20 goal striker  without paying stupid money. added to that the wages that  our owner is  rightly or wrongly unwilling to pay. 

I wonder if he’s started many games alongside Diedhiou, so I checked.  Twice....

V Stoke

V Palace

Funnily enough, the two games, I thought Taylor played better than I’d ever seen, and made me give him a bit of re-evaluation. He scored in both too.  You may be on to something. @GrahamC - thoughts?

I hear the P word bandied about so much it's horrifying.  we may well have progressed  in some ways but  come the summer we could very well be going backwards

See above Mike.  Good to see you yesterday.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think we might lose Flint, Baker, Pack, Bryan and Reid over the summer.  Think Pisano might head back to Italy too.

Fielding;

New ST, Diedhiou

Rest of squad;

#worried

How depressing.

Eliasson will be the new Reid, supplying missiles for the underrated Diedhiou and Djuric to head in.

Diedhiou's second goal yesterday was one of the best attacking headers I've seen. A floated ball across, quite far from goal and manages to get enough power and placement to score.

12 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Eliasson will be the new Reid, supplying missiles for the underrated Diedhiou and Djuric to head in.

Diedhiou's second goal yesterday was one of the best attacking headers I've seen. A floated ball across, quite far from goal and manages to get enough power and placement to score.

Fammy is easily a 20 goal striker. He is the least of our problems. Him and Djuric will look good in a 4-5-1 with Eliasson/Bryan (winger, not a left back) and O'Dowda shredding it up. Pack at the base of a dynamic midfield 3.

We are going to win the league, have faith! 

55 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Do you not think it was a fairly easy header. The ball in everything

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Fielding;

New ST, Diedhiou

Rest of squad;

#worried

While I share your concerns, it's hard to say who will leave.

I think Flint might stay, but maybe he agreed to sign with the addition of a but out. It may be down to which clubs make the offers, the end of season form may put some off.
Baker I can see going, shame as he was a rock earlier in the season.
Agree with the RB situation, Pisano swayed from poor to reckless, and I've been a fan. New RB needed.
CB. Mags is fine, Wright I'm still not sure and if  we can't hold onto Flint or Baker maybe a new signing .
LB. Kelly looks a safe bet but with Mags as cover I doubt we will spend here.
MF. I still think we could do with an addition here, and I would still like to try a 3 even if it is Pack,Smith and Brownhill. If we keep him I see a big year for Josh.
Strikers. FD , and additions here. Engvall looks nailed on to leave and with Bobby's star shining bright he'd be mad to put off a move if a big club came in. I think we need 2 decent strikers with real pace. 

3 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

16/17 Signings:

Tomlin

Magnusson

Moore

Djuric

Engvall

O'Dowda

Taylor

Hegeler

Brownhill

De Girolamo

O'Neil

Matthews

Paterson

Lucic

Giefer

Wright

Abraham

Cotterill

Ekstrand

Lucic

17/18 Signings:

Diedhou

Baker

Eliasson

Walsh

Steele

Pisano

Leko

Kent

Woodrow

Diony

Red = Poor Signings

Yellow = Jury is still out

Green = Good Signing

Just in my opinion of course, but this what I rate the quality of the signings we have made. Does anyone actually trust Johnson, Ashton, and the scouting team to actually be able to improve our team? Again in my opinion, we will be royally f***** if we lose the core players we have before Johnson was here. 

You don't need the jury for Lucic, he's gone mate. Another red I'm afraid. 

My instincts (and contract expiries) say we're going to lose Flint, Bryan, Reid, Hegeler, Engvall, O'Neil, Smith, Golbourne, and Garita.

I like Frankie, but hes simply not good enough. Taylor may have to move on. Magnusson I also feel would move on for the sake of his career.

Goalkeepers: New GK,

Defenders: New RB, Wright, Baker, New LB (depending on whether Kelly sees himself as a CB or LB)

Midfielders: New RM, Brownhill, Pack, O'Dowda (imperative we have a winger willing to help Kelly in a full debut season).

Strikers: Dhiediou, New Striker,

Bench: Djuric, Walsh, Eliasson, O'Leary, Vyner, Kelly, Paterson. With backups options at this moment consisting of Taylor Moore, Morrell, Baldwin.

Id assume we would look to loan out Opi Edwards, Bakinson, Andrews, Lemoneigh-Evans, Dowling, Harper, Pring, Semenyo, McCoulsky, Smith, and Hinds, to continue their development at a higher level, hopefully in League One in some cases (Moore, Hinds, McCoulsky, Andrews).

On that balance, we need at least 4 signings for the first team.

Signings I would not trust to MA or LJ.

Consisting of GK, RB, CB (Replacing Maggs and assuming Baker stays or vice versa), LB (Competition for Kelly), CM (Replacing Korey if he goes or at worst to compete with Brownhill, Morrell and Walsh as backup), RM (As we have no natural winger on that side and Eliasson balatedly isnt trusted as more than Backup), Competition in CAM/CF if Reid moves on for Paterson, and a ST to give us some variety preferable with some pace.

It literally may end up being every position on the pitch. And Johnson/MA has signed players for every position that have been pretty woeful or underperformed, such as Giefer, Lucic, Maggers, Wright, Golbourne, Eliasson, Kent, Woodrow, Diony, Engvall, Taylor, Moore, Leko, Matthews, and Hegeler.

Compare that to some of the players we've lost. O'Donnell, Kodjia, Ayling, Freeman, Tomlin, Williams. On paper, over the past year, this squad is weaker than the squad last season, Tomlin was a convenient scapegoat.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Fielding;

New ST, Diedhiou

Rest of squad;

#worried

quite thought provoking but I have decided my team for next season is Bristol City

#gluttonforpunishment #notworriedyetbutaballhasnotbeenkicked

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I posted either yesterday or day before that Hegeler is probably one of our most technical players and I think one of our best players if we played a style to suit him.

His touch is exquisite.

The signing of Baker was to cover Flint going, but it ended up stifling Hegeler.

Quite agree with this- we've never really given him a crack in his correct position, have we?

I do wonder with the drop? in form of Bryan, Flint and Reid since January that unless everything has been kept incredibly quiet, they weren't overwhelmed by the offers? made and just thought **** it! It doesn't always pay to believe your own hype?

Apologies to Reid!

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In that scenario?

Probably a season of rebuilding and lower mid table mediocrity.

How we rebuild- the quality or otherwise of the replacements- probably then sets the tone for how the next few seasons after that pan out...

Fielding

New RB Wright New CB Kelly

Brownhill Hegeler Smith

O'Dowda Paterson

Diedhiou

How can it be time to rebuild when we're supposed to be building?

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If we lose Flint, Baker, Bryan, Pack and Reid- and Pisano to a lesser extent- as suggested in the OP, the need for rebuilding will be inevitable.

Just seems daft to me. What's the point in making all this so-called 'progress' if we're gonna have to start from scratch again?

Mind you, I'm not convinced our players are gonna be as sought-after as people think.

9 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Just seems daft to me. What's the point in making all this so-called 'progress' if we're gonna have to start from scratch again?

Mind you, I'm not convinced our players are gonna be as sought-after as people think.

I agree, I hope we sell none (though in the case of Monaco and Brentford, they seem to have a business model along those lines).

I think Reid would be sought after- absolutely. The rest? Good players but more variables, e.g. which teams at which times, price tags. Maybe Flint by Stoke or West Brom when they come down- but lots of sides at this level will be hamstrung by FFP to varying degrees so may not be able to afford, on paper anyway, our star players.

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I agree, I hope we sell none (though in the case of Monaco and Brentford, they seem to have a business model along those lines).

I think Reid would be sought after- absolutely. The rest? Good players but more variables, e.g. which teams at which times, price tags. Maybe Flint by Stoke or West Brom when they come down- but lots of sides at this level will be hamstrung by FFP to varying degrees so may not be able to afford, on paper anyway, our star players.

I agree about Bobby. Although he has only had one really good season, so I don't think the price tag would be as high as suggested. I'd price him around £8million, with Bryan £3.5million and Flint £2million.

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Anyone thought about contacting Crimewatch re Hegeler?

Went missing in September last year, think he managed to escape from his captors for a week a month ago but gone awol again since.

Utterly futile signing.

Fine footballer....has been injured....started the season as first choice centre half...not his fault when he’s fit and not picked to play?!

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Fielding;

New ST, Diedhiou

Rest of squad;

#worried

God that's depressing 

5 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I agree about Bobby. Although he has only had one really good season, so I don't think the price tag would be as high as suggested. I'd price him around £8million, with Bryan £3.5million and Flint £2million.

Erm. What?

Firstly, regarding Bobby,  £9m, due to the contract situation, to match what Burnley paid for Gray - would probably about right. Although Id smack a 20% sell on just in case.

Flint - £2m After rejecting £6m in Jan? Let me think about that. Hmm - Nope. We should at least get the same.

Bryan - Same circumstances as Bobby. Stronger and refined whereas Reid being quite slight is a risk in the Prem, with more rumoured interest which may start a bidding war. I'd therefore argue £10m.

Add to that I reckon Pack will leave, for say £3-4m. Thats £28m total that I would in no way trust to Ashton or Johnson.

1 hour ago, fishy said:

Because he's by far out best player this season 

My question was in answer to the point made that we needed Smith as captain

I have seen or heard nothing to suggest he can do this job. 

Nothing to do with his ability as a player.

We need a leader on the field capable of raising others' games and influencing tactics

Archived