IGNORED

Urban Myths

BTRFTG

'It was a great game for the neutral': Save I'm City, all those around me were City, the Hull fans looked like they knew who they wanted to win and other than the embarrassment in a Tottenham shirt I'd love to know how many other 'neutrals' buy tickets to come and see us?

Winning isn't everything: As the legendary winning coach Vince Lombardi reminded:"....it's the only thing."

'It was like pre/post season': No it wasn't, it was like the time of year when teams who mean business start to do the business.

'All the Bristol Sport coaches benefit from meeting weekly to share ideas': If I wanted to watch basketball I'd buy tickets for the Flyers but as I think that's a stupid, non-contact sport for soft lads with squeeky daps I'd rather not see those elements transferred to a football stadium.

Football's supposed to be entertaining: No fan has ever asked 'how did we play' prior to asking 'what was the result?'

Successful managers build sides in their own likeness and play systems they're familiar with: Sadly, ain't that true......

Well I’d rather watch entertaining matches and end up tenth than “succeed” under a Pulis type regime with a succession of dreary 1-0 and 0-0 results.

To me its an entertainment not a religion or a business venture, so thrills are as important as points.

20 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

The bill Grundy interview with the sex pistols on sky arts is worth a watch

Sadly, Season 2 nowhere near as good as Season 1 (watched the Cooper/ Dali myth last night and amazingly Fearless' wasn't the worst performance from a Fielding I saw yesterday.)

48 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Well I’d rather watch entertaining matches and end up tenth than “succeed” under a Pulis type regime with a succession of dreary 1-0 and 0-0 results.

To me its an entertainment not a religion or a business venture, so thrills are as important as points.

Bill Shankly would have given you a slap :mf_sleep:

On 22/04/2018 at 10:49, BTRFTG said:

Sadly, Season 2 nowhere near as good as Season 1 (watched the Cooper/ Dali myth last night and amazingly Fearless' wasn't the worst performance from a Fielding I saw yesterday.)

Jack Whitehall as Marc Bolan was difficult to sit through, awful 

6 hours ago, Leveller said:

Well I’d rather watch entertaining matches and end up tenth than “succeed” under a Pulis type regime with a succession of dreary 1-0 and 0-0 results....

...and as you posted this on a thread entitled ‘Urban Myths’ - since Pulis took over at ‘Boro in December 2017 they’ve had just one 0-0 result and of all their victories....only one has been by a 1-0 scoreline....

9 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

'All the Bristol Sport coaches benefit from meeting weekly to share ideas': If I wanted to watch basketball I'd buy tickets for the Flyers but as I think that's a stupid, non-contact sport for soft lads with squeeky daps I'd rather not see those elements transferred to a football stadium.

I think Flyers Coach Kapoulas has had a bit too much influence then....yesterday was played like a basketball match!

Basketball is certainly not a non-contact sport, both for the players and spectators.  I got very personal with the Flyers Point Guard Jordan Davis last night. :P

9 hours ago, Leveller said:

Deary me, unbelievable for a fan, maybe you are the customer that Ashton and co want

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I got very personal with the Flyers Point Guard Jordan Davis last night

I'm tempted to request such information be kept from this forum but am tempted to wonder whether he made your daps squeek.....?

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:40, Leveller said:

The whole entertainment v points thing is an interesting debate.

I've seen plenty of entertaining football at Ashton Gate over the years.  However I've never seen us in the top division (I'm 34).  There are thrills to be had from entertaining games, but there are also thrills to be had when the full time whistle goes to confirm your promotion to a higher division.  Who here wouldn't have swapped Saturday's 5-5 for a scrappy 1-0 win to keep us in the play off hunt?

Personally I would happily see us play a pragmatic, efficient type of football in the Cardiff mould if it meant promotion at the end of it.  It would be a means to an end.  I wouldn't necessarily want us to play that way forever, but the reward at the end of it would make it worthwhile.  I'm struggling to believe that people would be sat here moaning about our style of play if we were on the verge of automatic promotion.

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The whole entertainment v points thing is an interesting debate.

I've seen plenty of entertaining football at Ashton Gate over the years.  However I've never seen us in the top division (I'm 34).  There are thrills to be had from entertaining games, but there are also thrills to be had when the full time whistle goes to confirm your promotion to a higher division.  Who here wouldn't have swapped Saturday's 5-5 for a scrappy 1-0 win to keep us in the play off hunt?

Personally I would happily see us play a pragmatic, efficient type of football in the Cardiff mould if it meant promotion at the end of it.  It would be a means to an end.  I wouldn't necessarily want us to play that way forever, but the reward at the end of it would make it worthwhile.  I'm struggling to believe that people would be sat here moaning about our style of play if we were on the verge of automatic promotion.

Well ideally we can move on to paying exciting football AND succeeding. Man City and Wolves have shown it can be done. The risk of succeeding with the pragmatic approach is that you stick with it and fans die of boredom. You end up with Man Utd second in the country and fans still aren’t happy.

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

Well ideally we can move on to paying exciting football AND succeeding. Man City and Wolves have shown it can be done. The risk of succeeding with the pragmatic approach is that you stick with it and fans die of boredom. You end up with Man Utd second in the country and fans still aren’t happy.

Completely agree that the ideal scenario is you go up playing good football. It’s probably easier for Man City and Wolves to do that though, given their budgets relative to the other teams in their division. That said, Bournemouth and Swansea spring to mind as lesser clubs who have achieved success while playing an attractive style, so it can be done.

But if someone came in and thought the best way to get us up was with a more direct style, I could handle that for a season or two if they delivered on the promise.

39 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Completely agree that the ideal scenario is you go up playing good football. It’s probably easier for Man City and Wolves to do that though, given their budgets relative to the other teams in their division. That said, Bournemouth and Swansea spring to mind as lesser clubs who have achieved success while playing an attractive style, so it can be done.

But if someone came in and thought the best way to get us up was with a more direct style, I could handle that for a season or two if they delivered on the promise.

Recruitment based on a style and sticking to it.  Sticking to principles, not deviating away from it if you believe it.  Tough decisions sometimes.

It is possible to play neat and tidy stuff with Diedhiou up front, we proved it in good spells on Saturday.  It doesn’t need Paterson floating.  The difference Saturday (whilst it was going well) was quick one or two touch passing, good service into players showing good movement.

In recruitment you might see players that you think can fit that, or you might focus on teams playing a similar way to get a better guide to ability to fit in.

Much as I can see the merits of a Djúric in the squad, it’s completely against the principles / identity of LJs style.  I accept he was recruited last winter when our position was in jeopardy, but LJs 442/4411 style / principle, has never been lump it to the big man, so you’d have to question where he saw him fitting in longer term.  £1.6m for a player you’re moving from Italy who doesn’t match your way of playing is irresponsible imho.

Dalglish bought Carroll and then had a LW Downing, RW Maxi....great....then played them on their wrong side.  What was he thinking?  £35m too....ignore the Torres money.

I think it is possible to improve this squad without spending £10m+ (on top of money we get from any sales).  We can be more frugal, and I also think it might buy LJ a bit more respect, and not enable us to beat on about Engvall, Moore, etc.

Good time to revisit this thread a bit?

We are now seeing solid run- not necessarily great, one or 2 maybe 3 good games but a solid run nonetheless- and yet seems to be a lot of discontent about football being played.

Yet even in our slump 2nd half last season we had a 5-5 draw, 3-3-draw, 2-2 draw and a 3-2 loss. That's just off the top of my head too- lots of goals, minimum 4 points out of those- thinking the 2 home draws- let slip fairly needlessly. Entertainment or results? We often have seemed to find it hard to blend the 2, certainly post Christmas 2017.

Archived