IGNORED

At least yesterday’s 5-5 will go down in folk memory....

Leveller

There are plenty of threads and posts about yesterday’s game, what it means and where we are going.

However, one thing seems sure - that match will be remembered for years, out of any context of what it meant at the time.

Which games do we remember? Probably two sorts - the crucial and the extraordinary.

Crucial games in living memory, good and bad, include losing to Hull at Wembley, but also beating Portsmouth to go up in 1976. We tend to remember cup finals and play off games.

Extraordinary games that didn’t end up meaning much include giant killing games - eg beating Liverpool in 1994 and Man Utd this season. Those results live on in the memory.

However, we also have the mad matches like yesterday and “that Mansfield match” where we won 5-4 after being 4-2 down with minutes to go. People tend to forget we had previously squandered a 2-1 lead to get to 4-2 down!

Then of course there are the high scores where we were never in trouble, eg beating Walsall 8-2 in the championship season and 9-2 against St Albans in the cup in the 1990s. Or the dire thrashings that were really low points - Swansea away anyone?

Anyway, it seems certain that in years to come, many conversations will start “blimey, do you remember City 5, Hull 5? I was there.When was that again?”

9 minutes ago, Leveller said:

There are plenty of threads and posts about yesterday’s game, what it means and where we are going.

However, one thing seems sure - that match will be remembered for years, out of any context of what it meant at the time.

Which games do we remember? Probably two sorts - the crucial and the extraordinary.

Crucial games in living memory, good and bad, include losing to Hull at Wembley, but also beating Portsmouth to go up in 1976. We tend to remember cup finals and play off games.

Extraordinary games that didn’t end up meaning much include giant killing games - eg beating Liverpool in 1994 and Man Utd this season. Those results live on in the memory.

However, we also have the mad matches like yesterday and “that Mansfield match” where we won 5-4 after being 4-2 down with minutes to go. People tend to forget we had previously squandered a 2-1 lead to get to 4-2 down!

Then of course there are the high scores where we were never in trouble, eg beating Walsall 8-2 in the championship season and 9-2 against St Albans in the cup in the 1990s. Or the dire thrashings that were really low points - Swansea away anyone?

Anyway, it seems certain that in years to come, many conversations will start “blimey, do you remember City 5, Hull 5? I was there.                  .....  *** When was that again?”

..... ***  '' the year Warnock took Cardiff into the Prem ''  :sad26:

33 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

..... ***  '' the year Warnock took Cardiff into the Prem ''  :sad26:

The year just two draws converted to wins would have seen City up there with four more points than they did get. :grr:

Give over it was a fantastic game with two teams going for the win and both teams coming away thinking that they should have won it.

I remember a 4-4 but I have never seen a 5-5 and I don't think that I ever will again,so savor it and just note it down as another in this fantastic season.  

21 hours ago, foghornred said:

Give over it was a fantastic game with two teams going for the win and both teams coming away thinking that they should have won it.

I remember a 4-4 but I have never seen a 5-5 and I don't think that I ever will again,so savor it and just note it down as another in this fantastic season.  

letting a two goal lead slip with so much riding on it. yeah, i went to bed with a smile on my face?

Archived