IGNORED

How the tv coverage may have been bad for us

DownendRed97

Obviously our form since January has been discussed over and over however I just had a thought could our cup exit and media coverage during this period have affected the players the most? 

During December and January we were on the tele virtually every week, with the players playing not only in front of the live crowd but also millions at home, meaning they were surely bound to give that little bit extra as it would get people talking about not only Bristol city but also them as individuals. 

One particular player I'd like to talk about is Jamie Paterson, seemingly unplayable at Sheff Utd, Middlesbrough at home and Man Utd and Man city away (this fixture was even post injury). Yes I understand he was playing in a more central position during these fixtures but it's not only his interest that seems to have dropped but just the overall quality of his play (also know he's been ill of late, so why does he play if not 100%?). Also thinking back to the start of the season when we played Villa at home on tv, he played out wide and was MOTM...tv cameras influencing this? 

What im trying to get at is maybe our star men thought that if they'd put in excellent performances over the period where we were on tv, then the club/another club may have come in with a better deal for them. This didn't happened and may have disheartened the players leading to poorer performances. Just a thought.

I genuinely think Paterson's confidence took a knock when he was taken off v Wolves when Fielding red carded. I know he's had a bug too, or similar.

Whether it's a cop out or not, genuinely don't think him being hooked v Wolves did him much good- bit of a confidence player, form player as a lot of flair players can d 

50 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Spoons

Has Paterson been the same since?

Given he can go through good runs and bad runs, could he be a bit of a confidence player?

His form in December was good- even got the assist v Wolves that evening- may have contributed in a small way to his downturn.

Don't make excuses for him. All players have injuries.

Maybe if he copied bobby Reid's work rate and desire he might find The answer to his dip in form.

Archived