IGNORED

Torquay relegated

Lanterne Rouge

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Reached a low ebb last night. 3-4 home defeat to Guisely, the bottom club - and Guisely had 10 men for 93 minutes! Crowd of 1007. Not sure there'll be any way back for the Gulls... 

The owner Clarke Osborne won't be concerned about that. He made a loan to Torquay while they were being managed by a group of earnest but naive fans. The terms were if they couldn't pay it back, he took ownership of the club - which includes Plainmoor. Of course they couldn't pay it back, wouldn't have been too difficult to foresee that when the loan was made.

He's said he wants to find them another stadium to make the club more commercially feasible. Course he does. Planning for houses on Plainmoor would be worth an absolute mint.

He's hardly ever been to see them play. Pensford to Torquay isn't that far.

And he hasn't said what sort of new stadium he would build. A much smaller stadium in keeping with their new found lowly status under his ownership maybe? That would be commercially viable, and a tidy profit for Mr Osborne.

He was the same bloke who bought Eastville, among other stadium or sports clubs that owned stadiums.

51 minutes ago, NickJ said:

The owner Clarke Osborne won't be concerned about that. He made a loan to Torquay while they were being managed by a group of earnest but naive fans. The terms were if they couldn't pay it back, he took ownership of the club - which includes Plainmoor. Of course they couldn't pay it back, wouldn't have been too difficult to foresee that when the loan was made.

He's said he wants to find them another stadium to make the club more commercially feasible. Course he does. Planning for houses on Plainmoor would be worth an absolute mint.

And he hasn't said what sort of new stadium he would build. A much smaller stadium in keeping with their new found lowly status under his ownership maybe? That would be commercially viable, and a tidy profit for Mr Osborne.

He was the same bloke who bought Eastville, among other stadium or sports clubs that owned stadiums.

" bought Eastville " , not all bad then .

:laughcont:

On 24/04/2018 at 12:17, phantom said:

Yeah - can remember the Lita show that was in the fog, that isn't that long ago

2005 I think. Lita bagged a hat trick and Hefferan got the other in a 0 - 4 romp on a foggy day.  I remember the gert lush fish and chips on the way in. 

I was born in Paignton.  First game I ever went to was Torquay Utd v Southport in the FA Cup circa 1977/78.  Had the pleasure of being substitute at Plainmoor 2 years on the trot in the Beulie Cup Final (Torbay primary schools cup) competition before we moved to Bristol in 1979.  Became a City fan circa 1980/81.

Have a soft spot for Torquay and so sad to watch their decline.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Spot on, Nick.  The name of his holding company Torbay Developments sort of gives away that football wasn't at the forefront of his mind when he bought the club. :mafia:

Shame re Torquay. Have enjoyed going there in the past. I also vividly remember as a kid the Saturday football results on Grandstand with Torquay often being ‘evening kick off at 7.30pm’ - and thinking Sat evening football would be fun!

21 minutes ago, eardun said:

Shame re Torquay. Have enjoyed going there in the past. I also vividly remember as a kid the Saturday football results on Grandstand with Torquay often being ‘evening kick off at 7.30pm’ - and thinking Sat evening football would be fun!

They did that because holiday makers arrived on a Saturday afternoon, so by having KO at 7.30pm, some visitors may be tempted to take in a game at the start of their holiday. Tranmere and Colchester used to play on Friday night as so many locals went on Saturdays to one or other of the nearby "big" clubs. Barnsley kicked off at 3.15 on Saturdays to give miners coming off shift time to grab a pint before getting into the ground. When John Smiths bought and closed the Barnsley Brewery, the football club switched to a 3.00pm KO as no one wanted to drink John Smiths Bitter.

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Reached a low ebb last night. 3-4 home defeat to Guisely, the bottom club - and Guisely had 10 men for 93 minutes! Crowd of 1007. Not sure there'll be any way back for the Gulls... 

You might be surprised, look at Hereford and Accrington, football fans are a resilient bunch and rally round when times are desperate. I've got a couple of mates who only turn up to watch City when we're bottom of the third tier! 

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Only bit of brightness in that for us is that George Dowling scored.

Really though it is such a shame to see them drifting closer to folding, they'll be playing Manor Farm in a couple of years I reckon

On 24/04/2018 at 00:07, Davefevs said:

One of the finest atmospheres I’ve witnessed was a Plainmoor.  Torquay v York, last but one game of the 2001 season.  We were on cricket tour (which involved no cricket :whistle:) and went along.  Torquay probably needed to win to survive.  4500 packed in.  Great game, amazing atmosphere.  Fans running on the pitch but actually being helped back over the wall by stewards...mental!

Torquay won away at Barnet the following the weekend to stay up.

Shame they’re on a downward trend.

I reckon I was at that one Dave - was it a 2-2 draw? Definitely cracking game and atmosphere. I think they were 1-0 down then 2-1 up.

Been to half a dozen or so of their away games with a Torquay supporting mate.  Great club and great fans

17 minutes ago, MrBibs said:

I reckon I was at that one Dave - was it a 2-2 draw? Definitely cracking game and atmosphere. I think they were 1-0 down then 2-1 up.

Been to half a dozen or so of their away games with a Torquay supporting mate.  Great club and great fans

Yep, that was the game.  Osterland’s manager Potter scoring direct from a corner to equalise for York late on.  Mental atmosphere, but good natured.

2 hours ago, 22A said:

They did that because holiday makers arrived on a Saturday afternoon, so by having KO at 7.30pm, some visitors may be tempted to take in a game at the start of their holiday. Tranmere and Colchester used to play on Friday night as so many locals went on Saturdays to one or other of the nearby "big" clubs. Barnsley kicked off at 3.15 on Saturdays to give miners coming off shift time to grab a pint before getting into the ground. When John Smiths bought and closed the Barnsley Brewery, the football club switched to a 3.00pm KO as no one wanted to drink John Smiths Bitter.

Southend used to as well IIRC as they had a lot go to West Ham from out that way.

6 hours ago, NickJ said:

I think Torbay Council own Plainmoor though so he just owns the club not the ground. That might be the only thing that keeps them going if they can keep his grubby hands off it.

He`s screwed over Swindon and (I think) Oxford speedway too by buying the stadiums and letting them fall apart.

14 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Spot on, Nick.  The name of his holding company Torbay Developments sort of gives away that football wasn't at the forefront of his mind when he bought the club. :mafia:

I think the main shareholder in the football club - Torquay United Football Association Ltd - is Riviera Stadium Ltd, whose ultimate owner is Mr Osborne.

9 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think Torbay Council own Plainmoor though so he just owns the club not the ground. That might be the only thing that keeps them going if they can keep his grubby hands off it.

He`s screwed over Swindon and (I think) Oxford speedway too by buying the stadiums and letting them fall apart.

Yes should have made that clear - Torbay Council own Plainmoor, but the football club have some sort of tenancy rights. 

I get the impression that the further the club falls, and so the less income it generates, would enable it to put it to Torbay that a rent reduction was necessary due to its inability to pay more. So that eventually Torbay might be persuaded that its best option would be to sell the freehold, presumably at  a knock down price.

Mr Osborne rarely attends games but claims that he wants to find a new stadium for the football club which is more commercially viable. If that is the case, he could do exactly that. But that would mean vacating Plainmoor, which for the reasons given above, I suspect he is not willing to do at the moment.

IF Torbay Council were to sell the freehold to Mr Osborne, it would be interesting to see just what sort of stadium would be built. The fear (consensus) among Torquay fans is that the new stadium, if built at all, would be commensurate with the football clubs newly found lowly status.

IF that happened, financially there would be only one winner.

Incidentally, it would appear that a similar situation is currently being played out at Chesterfield, who not so long ago got to the FA Cup Semi-Finals and were challenging for promotion to the Championship, but have just been relegated to the Conference..............

10 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Found this from a couple of months ago. I had no idea about Torquay and their owner so I found it interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42958113

On 24/04/2018 at 00:07, Davefevs said:

One of the finest atmospheres I’ve witnessed was a Plainmoor.  Torquay v York, last but one game of the 2001 season.  We were on cricket tour (which involved no cricket :whistle:) and went along.  Torquay probably needed to win to survive.  4500 packed in.  Great game, amazing atmosphere.  Fans running on the pitch but actually being helped back over the wall by stewards...mental!

Torquay won away at Barnet the following the weekend to stay up.

Shame they’re on a downward trend.

This is weird Dave - I went to Torquay vs York in May 1990 - we were on a football tour which involved zero football playing - and it was another vital game for the Gulls....cracking atmosphere and the York fans were great fun to mingle with before and after the game...

30 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

This is weird Dave - I went to Torquay vs York in May 1990 - we were on a football tour which involved zero football playing - and it was another vital game for the Gulls....cracking atmosphere and the York fans were great fun to mingle with before and after the game...

You see, it’s not just Liverpool that I support ahead of City :P

Archived