IGNORED

Bought this on Ebay

11th March 1967, I was there on that day with my dad, my dads friend and his son and sadly I am the one still alive to tell the tale.

It was a great day out and but for twice missed penalty the outcome might have been so different.

Jimmy Greaves is and was my footballing hero and I have two vivid memories of the day, firstly on the way out after the game an old Spurs fan put his hand on my head and said "never mind son, i'll tell you what, can you leave your goalkeeper with us he's great" and on the way home on the train my dad saying "what do you think of the day son?" and I replied "I really enjoyed the day and if we had to lose then seeing Jimmy Greaves score both goals was 2nd prize".

So seeing Jimmy Greaves and Mike Gibson on this photograph makes it all the more poignant to me, even though he was scoring against us. Hand signed pride of place.

s-l1600.jpg

Just now, Ivorguy said:

You have stirred memories.  I was there with my dad too.  Am I right in saying Chris Crowe played for us that day? Or am I confusing two matches?

I can remember Gibson, Ford, Connor, Low, Briggs, Quigley, Crowe, Atyeo but struggling with the other 3 maybe Drury, Parr and Bartley?

Dave Mackay was almost certainly sent off for sticking one on Johnny Quigley but Quigley talked the referee out of it.

A special day for me as it's the day I was born. I've been to White hart lane many times but that's the first city picture of my birthday I think I've ever seen. Dad kept the papers of the day, including the green un, but there were no pics in it in those days.

Nice one Es. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Bush also missed a sitter from about a yard out !

He hit it into the side netting and it bounced back onto the pitch. Bush swung a foot in frustration and sent it right in the top corner. "Typical City" isn't a new thing!

Strange how ones memory plays tricks!  I have no recollection of that game whatsoever. Judging from the teams I guess it was around 1967/68 just a year after I first went to AG.

Even more odd is that Greaves was and is one of my top five favorite players so I can only assume I missed the game otherwise I'd have remembered  seeing the greatest goalscorer of that era.

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

The ref actually sent off Dave Mackay but Quig interceded (two jocks together) wouldn't get that now !

Look what I just found from a Dave Mackay interview 9years ago.

Is it true that the only time it looked as if you might be sent off in your entire career, you talked the referee out of it?

Yes, I was so dirty I was never sent off in my whole life! It was against Bristol City in the FA Cup [for Spurs in 1967]. I had an argument with Johnny Quigley, who I’d played against when he was at Forest. The referee says he’s going to send me off, so I ran after Quigley and got him to tell the ref what had gone on; he’d done something the ref hadn’t seen but he’d seen my retaliation. The ref sent off neither of us.

How many special trains ran that day? I remember at least five direct to the station five minutes from White Hart Lane. I went with my Dad on one.

The pleading of Quigley not to send off MacKay, the penalty mess up and little Jimmy G gliding in for two goals.

Days like that live forever un one's memory.

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

How many special trains ran that day? I remember at least five direct to the station five minutes from White Hart Lane. I went with my Dad on one.

The pleading of Quigley not to send off MacKay, the penalty ness up and little Jimmy G gliding in for two goals.

Days like that live forever un one's memory.

I think maybe 5 + yer actual pullman.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Strange how ones memory plays tricks!  I have no recollection of that game whatsoever. Judging from the teams I guess it was around 1967/68 just a year after I first went to AG.

Even more odd is that Greaves was and is one of my top five favorite players so I can only assume I missed the game otherwise I'd have remembered  seeing the greatest goalscorer of that era.

More ironically............it was the only two things he did that day, typical of the man !

Just now, slartibartfast said:

More ironically............it was the only two things he did that day, typical of the man !

Typical indeed one good chance and he just ghosted around Gibson and scored and then to rub salt into the wound scored in the last minute showing us how to take a penalty, gently stroking the ball past Gibson sending him the wrong way into the bargain.

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So even back then you had no idea what was going on,?

clueless as usual

Plus ca change

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yep 6 trains, they reckon we took about 12k there (all over the ground ) I was on the Shelf..........but we did take the Park Lane End !

BTW we also took 6 trains to Leeds for the fifth round the following year !

I missed the Leeds game for some reason, Sprake got sent off I seem to recall, something involving Garland?

Archived