IGNORED

Wenger v Fergie - The feud. Channel 5 now

Bar BS3

Just started watching this. A rare and very interestingly open & honest view of how the players felt, during their nineties/naughties rivalry. Some great interviews and behind the scenes footage. 

Worth a watch on catch up. 

2 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Will watch on catch up but the best footy documentary I have seen is the two Escobars...brilliant watch

I don’t remember the title, but there was a documentary about Andreas Escobar about 10 (maybe more?) years ago that looked into the corruption of Colombian football, betting scams and the Drug cartels involvement....as well as his murder.

If that’s the same documentary it was fascinating.

28 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I don’t remember the title, but there was a documentary about Andreas Escobar about 10 (maybe more?) years ago that looked into the corruption of Colombian football, betting scams and the Drug cartels involvement....as well as his murder.

That’s the one, the two escobars...pablo and Andreas, and how the two were linked via drugs and corruption which ultimately led to Andreas death under the order of pablo...yeah agree was superb

4 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Will watch on catch up but the best footy documentary I have seen is the two Escobars...brilliant watch

Not seen that one, but will have try and find it somewhere. 

I think the thing about last nights one was the interviews with the players, who were pretty frank about what they thought about the other team! 

I’m amazed it’s never properly kicked off in some tv studio amongst pundits since..! 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not seen that one, but will have try and find it somewhere. 

I think the thing about last nights one was the interviews with the players, who were pretty frank about what they thought about the other team! 

I’m amazed it’s never properly kicked off in some tv studio amongst pundits since..! 

The animosity quickly dies away once you're not so deeply involved in the day-to-day rivalry. When something is so deeply ingrained in your life it's easy to get carried away with the emotion of it.

They're outside of that now and can step back and reflect. I think it was Frank Lampard who did a great interview on this subject, but I can't find it just now.

4 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

That’s the one, the two escobars...pablo and Andreas, and how the two were linked via drugs and corruption which ultimately led to Andreas death under the order of pablo...yeah agree was superb

It wasn't Pablo 's order. He had already died by then. It' assumed had he still been alive, the hit would have never happened as pablo wouldn't have allowed it. 

12 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

It’s actually getting better and better! 

I’ve never seen such familiar, high profile players speaking so honestly. 

My god, they genuinely hated each other! 

I love these documentaries. Really enjoyed ITV's ones on Viera v Keane and Moruinho's career. Recently there was the Football Italia one on BT Sports, now this! Look forward to watching on catch up later.

I recorded it, literally by chance i saw it and thought it would be a good watch. Didn't see any adverts for it.

2 hours ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Really enjoyed ITV's ones on Viera v Keane

This one i really did enjoy. Especially when they were deciding their best 11.

Amazingly, it was on ITV2 at stupid o'clock when it was first aired.

I would have thought that it should have been on ITV at prime time as many would have been interested in it when it came out.

10 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Thanks for heads up, I'm gonna have to find me that one

54 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Thanks for heads up, I'm gonna have to find me that one

Ha, well in fairness it was MC RISK77 who brought it up first. He’s right as well, very interesting. 

On the same subject there was also a Channel 4 Doc about the whole incident called ‘Escobar's Own Goal’ that you can find in 6 parts on YouTube. Again, really worth a watch. 

The Graeme Taylor Documentary is also on YouTube to watch for free at your leisure. These things are handy to know if you’ve got a wife who insists on watching shit like EastEnders in the evening.

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Ha, well in fairness it was MC RISK77 who brought it up first. He’s right as well, very interesting. 

On the same subject there was also a Channel 4 Doc about the whole incident called ‘Escobar's Own Goal’ that you can find in 6 parts on YouTube. Again, really worth a watch. 

The Graeme Taylor Documentary is also on YouTube to watch for free at your leisure. These things are handy to know if you’ve got a wife who insists on watching shit like EastEnders in the evening.

It was the Escobar docu I was referring to, didn't realise there was one out there. I'll also catch up on Fergie v Wenger as well! Heard on the radio over the weekend they are good friends nowadays, does that come over at all?

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

It was the Escobar docu I was referring to, didn't realise there was one out there. I'll also catch up on Fergie v Wenger as well! Heard on the radio over the weekend they are good friends nowadays, does that come over at all?

I dunno mate, I didn’t see the Fergie/Wenger one (although I do intend to check it out).

MC RISK77 was the one who mentioned the Escobar documentary as the best football documentary he’d seen and it is very interesting. I don’t think ‘The two Escobars’ is available on YouTube but the C4 Doc called ‘Escobar’s own goal’ is.  

watched it last night. Really enjoyed it.

Brought back a lot of fun memories growing up watching those games. Those two really were the best of the best, it's just a shame that for many years, they could not carry it into European success. I know Man Utd did in 99 but then they did not win it again until 2008. And of course, Arsenal have never won a European trophy under Wenger, it would be good if he won the Europa League in his last game.

13 hours ago, Woodsy said:

NO..! 

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Ha - good! I kind of didn't want to believe it!!

Fergie has probably softened these days, having come out on top in the duel between the 2 of them - but their was such genuine bad feeling, I very much doubt they meet up to reminisce of afternoon tea..! 

Wenger used to refuse to use Fergies name. I hadn’t realised that..! 

I once spent an evening chatting to Martin Keown at a restaurant opening in Oxford. Not just in passing, we actually chatting for a good couple of hours. Back when he had just earned an England recall. He was such a genuinely top bloke! Some of the insights about being a pro and about Arsene Wenger in particular were fascinating and show just how different people can be be away from the spotlight. 

He genuinely rated Wenger as the biggest wind up merchant and funniest bloke in football. Who’d have thought that..! 

Just now, Busterrimes said:

I watched last night and the bit that left a sour taste for me was the admission by Phil Neville that they targetted Reyes and pretty much tried ti injure him.

I know - shocking really! But that’s why I thought it was such a good programme. The honesty was incredible and gave an insight that supporters rarely see, about how players actually view things. 

I dispise Man Utd, but my god.. they really were the masters of mind games and winning at all costs! Graham Poll’s accounts of the subtle intimidation of referees, even before the game, confirmed a lot of what I thought of him. 

The bloke was a vile, arrogant, cheating, genius..! 

Just now, Busterrimes said:

I watched last night and the bit that left a sour taste for me was the admission by Phil Neville that they targetted Reyes and pretty much tried ti injure him.

I watched yesterday as well and the targeting of Reyes in particular was an unpleasant watch. That said football is without morales and a cut throat business and frankly I'm not surprised. That type of intention happens on a regular basis - do what it takes to win the game.

3 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

That was in the game where they ended the Arsenal unbeaten run wasn't it?

Some of the decisions that day were criminal.

4 hours ago, The Batman said:

watched it last night. Really enjoyed it.

Brought back a lot of fun memories growing up watching those games. Those two really were the best of the best, it's just a shame that for many years, they could not carry it into European success. I know Man Utd did in 99 but then they did not win it again until 2008. And of course, Arsenal have never won a European trophy under Wenger, it would be good if he won the Europa League in his last game.

I watched it too. Plenty of references to "this was a disgrace, that was a disgrace".

Amazing how footballers get offended by things like not shaking hands and the like while 20 minutes previous they are diving to win penalties. 

On a moral level, footballers are some of the world's biggest hypocrites. 

5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I watched it too. Plenty of references to "this was a disgrace, that was a disgrace".

Amazing how footballers get offended by things like not shaking hands and the like while 20 minutes previous they are diving to win penalties. 

On a moral level, footballers are some of the world's biggest hypocrites. 

But it’s ok for Rugby players to gauge an opponents eye out, because they all have a drink in the bar together afterwards..?! 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

But it’s ok for Rugby players to gauge an opponents eye out, because they all have a drink in the bar together afterwards..?! 

Is it? 

Punishments in rugby, I understand, are far more severe. I'm often hearing about bans for many weeks or many games. 

4 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

Disgraceful and it says a lot about the Man United sides and mentality back then, always had a hunch they were full of *****

Archived