IGNORED

Positive of not making the playoffs...

Cider red

1. We never win them

2. The games are horrendous to watch as a fan.

3. We would probably have played Cardiff and lost.

It's going to be an interesting summer folks. Time to move some of the comfy players on and build again. Intrigued to see who we can get in to replace flint and co.

14 minutes ago, Cider red said:

1. We never win them

It's going to be an interesting summer folks. Time to move some of the comfy players on and build again. Intrigued to see who we can get in to replace flint and co.

think the team that kicks off next season will be very different from the one that finishes this one, we will see a lot more reliance on our younger players at least for the first part of the season.

8 hours ago, pillred said:

think the team that kicks off next season will be very different from the one that finishes this one, we will see a lot more reliance on our younger players at least for the first part of the season.

So instead of learning from this seasons errors we are going to throw the towel in and just use the youngsters? Its like going from the sublimely crap to the ridiculously naive. I think you might be right though.

7 hours ago, BcFcOneLove said:

If we sell flint, Reid or Bryan for big money, along with income from increased attendances this season and our cup run, we should have a fair bit of money to spend right?...

I think Bryan has lost a good 25% of his value since December. 

Many dreamers will have another season of hope; when in fact the likes of WBA and whoever else comes down will be hot favs to return.

Hope (for some) will also continue to the summer then xmas transfer windows, then maybe it will dawn on them that they may have to wait another season as we are still building for the future.

I will be amazed if we do anything but struggle next season and more amazed if SL does anything about it.

8 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

O’Neil

Hegeler

Woodrow

Diony

Kent

Goldbourne

Garita

A need to go and that’s just for starters

I’m sure they’ll go, but it’s not going to affect performance as they either never play or rarely play.  It will save some money from the wage bill, so let’s hope it goes on quality not quantity 

1 hour ago, Bri Stool City said:

Many dreamers will have another season of hope; when in fact the likes of WBA and whoever else comes down will be hot favs to return.

Hope (for some) will also continue to the summer then xmas transfer windows, then maybe it will dawn on them that they may have to wait another season as we are still building for the future.

I will be amazed if we do anything but struggle next season and more amazed if SL does anything about it.

Every season people think the Championship will be tougher than the previous season and that the relegated teams will storm the league. It seldom happens that way. On average one relegated team goes back up again each season. On paper West Brom, Southampton and Stoke are formidable sides but the reality may be very different.

But ultimately, whatever happens next season, we know 24 teams will start with vague hopes this could be their year. Three will be right. Three will find it is not their at all as they get relegated. The other 18 will, as you say, "wait another season". Probability suggests we'll be one of them but that's true of every team so we'll see what happens. 

23 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I’m sure they’ll go, but it’s not going to affect performance as they either never play or rarely play.  It will save some money from the wage bill, so let’s hope it goes on quality not quantity 

Hegeler is a good squad/utility player I would keep him.

Still can't get over how truly shockingly bad Kent was on his debut versus Norwich, almost comical. Lesson to be learned there is that if a player is "binned" out of another club without playing much and for no apparent reason there is a problem.

3 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Still can't get over how truly shockingly bad Kent was on his debut versus Norwich, almost comical. Lesson to be learned there is that if a player is "binned" out of another club without playing much and for no apparent reason there is a problem.

... one might have thought that our professional recruitment team might have read Page 1 of the ‘Idiots Guide to Recruitment’. 

Perhaps to recruit one such player would have been forgivable. All three January recruits being ‘binners’ smacks of stupidity. 

Suspect that someone thought they were far better than they really are and considered where others have failed, I will succeed. Wrong. Another lesson to be learnt. 

10 hours ago, Cider red said:

1. We never win them

We will never know now, which is a calamity given our league position at the turn of the year. Never mind moving on comfy players, how about our all too comfy manager who seems unable to learn from previous mistakes. 

20 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

2 assists in his first games...not a bad return for a winger. Thought he looked okay v QPR, Bolton and Sunderland in patches in case of the latter. Sadly he went to shit from there.

Agree on Hegeler too.

10 hours ago, Cider red said:

1. We never win them

4. I don't look so stupid for booking a holiday that would've seen me miss the play-off final.

5. Does anyone really think we're anywhere near ready for the Prem? Another season or two of progress and who knows. And if we don't progress, then LJ will eventually go and everyone on here will be happy (for at least a week or two, until his successor turns out not to be Pep or Jurgen) 

1 hour ago, red panda said:

5. Does anyone really think we're anywhere near ready for the Prem? Another season or two of progress and who knows. And if we don't progress, then LJ will eventually go and everyone on here will be happy (for at least a week or two, until his successor turns out not to be Pep or Jurgen) 

Of course we aren't but that is hardly the point.

No team that has not been in the PL or has not been there for 5+ years is 'ready' - significant investment would need to be made just to be competitive never mind survive. BUT the whole point is to get there and give it a real go whilst not being silly with the masses of cash that come your way, so that if you do get relegated you can re-invest and go again.

The very hard part is getting there and that is going to increase season after season as more clubs end up in the Championship with parachute money and others e.g. Wolves, throw loads at it without giving a toss about FFP.

• Admin
12 hours ago, Cider red said:

1. We never win them

I'm in Turkey 

• Admin
1 hour ago, red panda said:

How does a team "become ready" - can't believe Bournemouth or Huddersfield were ahead of us in footballing terms?

Move with the times and adjust to the surroundings we are in

4 hours ago, red panda said:

Does anyone really think we're anywhere near ready for the Prem? Another season or two of progress and who knows. And if we don't progress, then LJ will eventually go and everyone on here will be happy (for at least a week or two, until his successor turns out not to be Pep or Jurgen) 

Every once in a while someone comes up with this old chestnut. It is completely irrelevant as 95% of people realise when, if one has to spell it out again one will, 3 million for finishing top of the Championship and 120 million for finishing bottom of the Prem and 3 years of parachutes is the only relevant factor. Languishing in the 2nd tier on purpose is financial suicide.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Every once in a while someone comes up with this old chestnut. It is completely irrelevant as 95% of people realise when, if one has to spell it out again one will, 3 million for finishing top of the Championship and 120 million for finishing bottom of the Prem and 3 years of parachutes is the only relevant factor. Languishing in the 2nd tier on purpose is financial suicide.

No need to be so patronising! It's not just about the money. Sure we could buy some better players with the money we'll earn. But surely we'd stand a better chance of success if we had better foundation and could evolve rather than needing to bring in pretty much a whole new team

8 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

When was the last time Hegeler actually played though? I can't remember seeing him on many (any?) teamsheets for ages. 

May have just missed him coming on...

Archived