IGNORED

Positive of not making the playoffs...

Cider red

20 hours ago, Cider red said:

1. We never win them 

Rather have the chance to win. There’s always a first time. I’d never pass up the chance to be in the playoffs (unless was in top 2 of course).

2. The games are horrendous to watch as a fan.

If you’re in the final the buzz and anticipation is great. Nerve biting but not at all horrendous in my view.

3. We would probably have played Cardiff and lost.

who knows?

It's going to be an interesting summer folks. Time to move some of the comfy players on and build again. Intrigued to see who we can get in to replace flint and co.

dont disagree though I hope we get more  that are ready for the first team and genuine improvements than “ones for the future”.

A few alternative thoughts.

8 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

The very hard part is getting there and that is going to increase season after season as more clubs end up in the Championship with parachute money and others e.g. Wolves, throw loads at it without giving a toss about FFP.

Not entirely sure Wolves breached FFP tbh- profit of 5.6m in year 1 means they can lose 44.6m over last season and this- that's 22.3m a season for those 2.

Mind you? We could IMO have loaned Grabban,Afobe (not that he was realistic when Wolves were in) or Mitrovic and stayed FFP compliant.

10 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

... one might have thought that our professional recruitment team might have read Page 1 of the ‘Idiots Guide to Recruitment’. 

Perhaps to recruit one such player would have been forgivable. All three January recruits being ‘binners’ smacks of stupidity. 

Suspect that someone thought they were far better than they really are and considered where others have failed, I will succeed. Wrong. Another lesson to be learnt. 

Lucky the two binners are loans to call the development player a binned is a bit harsh.

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

We have never won a play off have we? 

We've never won a final, but we have won play-off matches, unlike Fulham who have failed in 6 attempts. If the Cottagers don't secure automatic promotion this season I can imagine that the pews of their local church will suddenly fill with believers.

Anyhow, back to City's record. We beat Walsall in the 1987/88 play-off final second leg 2-0, away, having trailed 1-3 in the home fixture. With the aggregate score tied City lost a penalty shoot out to decide the venue for the replay and were promptly stuffed 4-0.

Subsequently, City beat Hartlepool 2-1 in the semi final second leg of the 2003/04 play-off. And vanquished Crystal Palace 2-1 in both legs of their 2007/08 semi final. We also played Cardiff in a semi final in 2002/03, but the less said about that the better!

On 24/04/2018 at 22:50, pillred said:

think the team that kicks off next season will be very different from the one that finishes this one, we will see a lot more reliance on our younger players at least for the first part of the season.

My only hope is that Lee Johnson doesn't go all "Danny Wilson" on us.

What I mean by that, is that Danny Wilson had us playing some great football and we scored shed loads of goals, but we didn't quite make it up. The following season he tried to shore us up defensively, and it was pretty dire football to watch from that point onwards. If it I recall, I think there was one game where he played two defenders (Carey and Burnell) in midfield!!

"Some" of the football we've played under LJ this season has been some of the best I've ever seen City play, but I hope we don't lose that ability to play well at the risk of trying to be too resilient. I appreciate we need more resilience, but let's hope we don't go too far the other way.

33 minutes ago, beaverface said:

What I mean by that, is that Danny Wilson had us playing some great football and we scored shed loads of goals, but we didn't quite make it up. The following season he tried to shore us up defensively, and it was pretty dire football to watch from that point onwards. If it I recall, I think there was one game where he played two defenders (Carey and Burnell) in midfield!!

"Some" of the football we've played under LJ this season has been some of the best I've ever seen City play, but I hope we don't lose that ability to play well at the risk of trying to be too resilient. I appreciate we need more resilience, but let's hope we don't go too far the other way.

My opinion for what it's worth is that we have a lot of potential in our young players especially in defence, Taylor Moore, Zac Viner, and Liam Kelly are ready to step up, despite all the interest in joe Bryan and  Aden Flint good players that they are our defence has at times been like a colander and they both have to take their share of the blame. If they do go the three that I mentioned earlier could well come in and do a good job for us, going forward has not really been the problem this season and I hope we can hold on to bobby and play a similar way to earlier in the season, genuinely think we have a lot of potential in our younger players hope they get given a chance next season.

On 25/04/2018 at 08:38, Super said:

More holiday time in Vegas.

One WAG said weeks ago she was in Dubai ‘end of May’, may or not be going with her otherhalf, I can’t assume. Might have been a bit awkward if we had got to the playoffs though. :facepalm:

10 hours ago, pillred said:

My opinion for what it's worth is that we have a lot of potential in our young players especially in defence, Taylor Moore, Zac Viner, and Liam Kelly are ready to step up, despite all the interest in joe Bryan and  Aden Flint good players that they are our defence has at times been like a colander and they both have to take their share of the blame. If they do go the three that I mentioned earlier could well come in and do a good job for us, going forward has not really been the problem this season and I hope we can hold on to bobby and play a similar way to earlier in the season, genuinely think we have a lot of potential in our younger players hope they get given a chance next season.

I meant Lloyd Kelly (sorry).

13 hours ago, beaverface said:

Sadly, one of the main reasons why Wilson's City sides failed in 2002/03 and the following campaign could be found at the bottom of a glass.

Archived