IGNORED

Defence is the problem

Top Robin

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Codswallop.  Fielding has had a good season overall.  What is it with fans expecting Championship keepers to be perfect every game?  Every keeper in football makes mistakes.  Fielding is a good Championship goalkeeper.  He is in the top 8 in the league, maybe even top 6 and he has rarely let us down this season.  Certainly let us down a lot less than some outfield players.

Easily pleased...

I would say he's in the bottom 8.

When Macca took over as defensive coach just over a year ago the defence improved and that carried over into the first half of this season. Post Christmas we lost key players through suspensions (Frankie, Baker, Flint) and Wright wasn't fully fit and defensively we seem to have lost our way. If next season we can use Kelly and Vyner more then we should be ok even if Bryan is sold as seems likely provided we get organised again like earlier this season

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think you have unrealistic expectations. 

I'm sure a lot of fans would 

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think a lot of fans would agree that we could do better.

12 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think you're definitely right about unrealistic expectations from fans about what a good goalkeeper is at this level. Mistakes stick in the memory longer than good saves.

However, there are some good keepers in our league. John Ruddy, Neil Etheridge, Sam Johnstone, Darren Randolph, Scott Carson, Angus Gunn, Bartosz Bialkowski, Allan McGregor (and even David Marshall on Hull's bench!) for example.

Frankie's certainly not as bad as some label him, and he's not to blame for what's happened since Christmas in my view. Having said that, there are some good keepers out there, and we could definitely improve on him. I'm not suggesting it should be our top priority by any means, but there's no reason to accept mediocrity, and purely compared to what other clubs have currently, I would probably say he is of about average quality for a championship goalkeeper.

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

Can you name me 8 keepers in this league who come out and regularly catch crosses?  

Fans expectations of goalkeepers are far too high at this level.  You want a keeper who can make saves, catch regularly, kick well and (supposedly) command his area to be playing for a mid table Championship side! 

I heard Bob Wilson the other day saying that catching the modern ball is totally different to when he played.

Most keeprs don't come out to catch as much because the ball is so much lighter now and its flight much less predictable.

Bob Wilson - I would rather listen to him than numpties on here slating our keeper. FF isn't the best in the league, and his distribution isn't good, but he gets some unfair stick imho.

If Joe Bryan is a championship class full back then I have wasted 70 odd years watching the wrong game. I played full back myself as a young un and when my winger received the ball I was right there  with him BEFORE he got it under control. Joe stands 15 yards away and lets him compose himself before he goes near him. Even at my age now I could get a cross in before I was challenged. 

14 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

ard Bob Wilson the other day saying that catching the modern ball is totally different to when he played.

Most keeprs don't come out to catch as much because the ball is so much lighter now and its flight much less predictable.

Bob Wilson - I would rather listen to him than numpties on here slating our keeper. FF isn't the best in the league, and his distribution isn't good, but he gets some unfair stick imho.

Little bit from Keeper courses (FA).

The ball is only slightly lighter, but does not cause it to be less predictable. Its due to having less panels. Old style balls could have 20+ panels, new now can have eight. These balls are creating new techniques and skills e.g. Old style panelled balls cannot be knuckleballed.

Keepers need new techniques including better distribution skills for the needs of the game. Bob was seven times less likely to play with his feet than todays keeper is.

8 hours ago, Top Robin said:

These are the goals against for the teams in the top ten:

Wolves 36,  Cardiff 39, Fulham 42, Villa 40, Borough 43, Derby 46, Millwall 43, Brentford 49, Preston 45 , Bristol City 55

We are bottom of that by quite a margin which tells me that our defence is not good enough and should be the first thing that Lee looks at (he should have sorted this months ago instead of buying bench warming forwards)

When looking at changes in that area we shouldn't keep players just because they show passion, we need quality players and I'm not sure any of our defence are of the quality we need to move forward.

Incidentally, out of the top ten teams, we are joint 5th in goals for.

If our defence had been better it may have been a different story this season.

The full back are pants at the moment, but as another poster stated teams defend from the front, but the real problem is our midfield, there is no leader in the midfield to organise, Smith and Pack are far too quiet and both lack discipline to actually see where the other one is and we frequently get caught out with both Smith and Pack in front of the ball, my wife's pug dog can defend better than Paterson, he reminds me of the Sean Connery line in the untouchables "like going to a gunfight armed with a knife".

When defences are constantly under pressure because the midfield is not organised and disciplined, then goals will ensue, the problem with most football fans is they only see the final mistake by a defender/goalkeeper, they totally miss the striker who failed to control the ball, the midfielder who tries a Hollywood pass, the midfielder who bottles or is not strong enough in the tackle, the midfielder who fails to pick up opposition midfield runners or the opposition spotting that both of our central midfielders are ahead of the ball and a simple ball over the top causes chaos.

And also lets not forget LJ's predisposition of pushing Flint forward at any excuse.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

The ball is only slightly lighter, but does not cause it to be less predictable. Its due to having less panels. Old style balls could have 20+ panels, new now can have eight. These balls are creating new techniques and skills e.g. Old style panelled balls cannot be knuckleballed.

Keepers need new techniques including better distribution skills for the needs of the game. Bob was seven times less likely to play with his feet than todays keeper is.

By ' knuckleballed ' do they mean punched ? 

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

By ' knuckleballed ' do they mean punched ? 

Knuckleballed I believe is the term they use to describe the Ronaldo style freekick technique where you hit the ball on the 'valve' part and it causes it to dip and move erratically.

It's a term borrowed from baseball, as it is a type of pitch that has similar movement characteristics.

4-4-2 and particularly how we go about it is a very open formation in this day and age.

All stems from there IMO- Wolves, Cardiff, Fulham, Aston Villa Cardiff, Middlesbrough, Derby, Brentford and Preston are all rather more compact. Defence can be better protected by a properly set up midfield- actually we were rather compact in out 4-4-1-1/4-6-0/4-4-2-0 phase- however you want to describe it- when it was Paterson behind Reid. Maybe, though they aren't the best individual options, playing players who were comfortable at Centre Back in Wright and Magnússon as full backs helped too.

Millwall is an interesting example tbh- they are 4-4-2 but they play a right winger on both sides who will tuck in when necessary as right footers playing on the left do, but also they are a much more reactive side than us. Less keen on possession, more suited to playing from deeper- we would probably have to sacrifice a decent amount to have a decent amount of that solidity with a 4-4-2 with wingers.

On 25/04/2018 at 09:31, Red Grovesy said:

Letting in five against Hull and five against Villa didn't help.

Almost 20% of goals conceded in two matches.

Those two games, plus Sunderland & Leeds where we capitulated, are not only abysmal in context of goals against, they are the diffrence in securing a play off place and finishing where we will, probably 10th.

On 25/04/2018 at 15:58, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The full back are pants at the moment, but as another poster stated teams defend from the front, but the real problem is our midfield, there is no leader in the midfield to organise, Smith and Pack are far too quiet and both lack discipline to actually see where the other one is and we frequently get caught out with both Smith and Pack in front of the ball, my wife's pug dog can defend better than Paterson, he reminds me of the Sean Connery line in the untouchables "like going to a gunfight armed with a knife".

When defences are constantly under pressure because the midfield is not organised and disciplined, then goals will ensue, the problem with most football fans is they only see the final mistake by a defender/goalkeeper, they totally miss the striker who failed to control the ball, the midfielder who tries a Hollywood pass, the midfielder who bottles or is not strong enough in the tackle, the midfielder who fails to pick up opposition midfield runners or the opposition spotting that both of our central midfielders are ahead of the ball and a simple ball over the top causes chaos.

And also lets not forget LJ's predisposition of pushing Flint forward at any excuse.

Perfect summary of our problems. 

Central midfield is weak in defence and apart from a couple lately by Pack and one v Man U by Smith we get no goals from them. 

On 25/04/2018 at 14:54, Cowshed said:

Little advice for you.  Don't listen to FA courses.  At all. Ever.  In any way. Whatsoever.

The FA know FA about football.  There's proof if you want it...

8 hours ago, Chivs said:

Little advice for you.  Don't listen to FA courses.  At all. Ever.  In any way. Whatsoever.

The FA know FA about footballThere's proof if you want it...

This could be interesting. Would you like to articulate further using evidence bases and use your own experiences as well? No and shan't is not a appropriate answer.

9 hours ago, Chivs said:

9 hours ago, Chivs said:

You read my post Chivs and ignored it. A little advice for you. If you have children and you send them to a junior club that says they do not listen to FA courses. At all. Ever, In any way. Whatsoever. Take your children away from them because they will be utterly irresponsible, endangering your kids safety and also breaking the law.

Archived