IGNORED

I've just been googling Sean Dyche.....

Jack Dawe

.....and the first thing I click on, is a piece in the Lancashire Telegraph in April 2014. It begins like this:

"Sean Dyche is solid. He's a proper bloke who appreciates the simple, valuable things in life, and to use his catchphrase, doesn't "overthink" issues.

Whether its about his rapid rise to football fame, his dedication to family or his traditional values, at 42 he's learned that "over-thinking" can be a distraction. So he doesn't do it."

Something for us all to think about there. When will LJ be 42, anyone know?

26 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

.....and the first thing I click on, is a piece in the Lancashire Telegraph in April 2014. It begins like this:

"Sean Dyche is solid. He's a proper bloke who appreciates the simple, valuable things in life, and to use his catchphrase, doesn't "overthink" issues.

Whether its about his rapid rise to football fame, his dedication to family or his traditional values, at 42 he's learned that "over-thinking" can be a distraction. So he doesn't do it."

You're overthinking it .

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Still learning then..........

Certainly. 5 years into what could be a 40 year career? About the same level of experience as I have in my job...no way, no way, do I know everything in my field right now.  I still make plenty of mistakes!

57 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Wonder why he gave up playing football so young then.

Retiring at 31/32 isn't ludicrously young for a pro is it?

As an aside, when Sean Dyche was 36 he had been retired for a year or so and was U18's coach at Watford.  So you could say that LJ at 36 has vastly more experience of management that SD did.

39 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Certainly. 5 years into what could be a 40 year career? About the same level of experience as I have in my job...no way, no way, do I know everything in my field right now.  I still make plenty of mistakes!

Retiring at 31/32 isn't ludicrously young for a pro is it?

As an aside, when Sean Dyche was 36 he had been retired for a year or so and was U18's coach at Watford.  So you could say that LJ at 36 has vastly more experience of management that SD did.

And I suspect that is part of the problem.

LJ went straight into first team management - Oldham, Barnsley and obviously us, without any apprenticeship.

Sure he has all the badges but that is not the same as doing the job.

As I have said recently on here, only to be derided by his 'fans' he is very inexperienced and I have little doubt that had he not have the right 'connections' he would be nowhere near HC at BCFC right now - in the future maybe, but not yet.

It is also a concern that his two assistants are equally inexperienced, I would have thought that having an older head around may be an advantage.

It might also help when we go on one of these horrendous runs of form that the three of them appear to have no inkling of how to resolve other than continual tinkering.

3 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I think one of the (many) ways that Dyche is smart is that he is actually a lot smarter than he is perceived..

As a rule of thumb I tend to find people like this do far better in roles than those who make great play of just how clever they are when the evidence suggests otherwise..

For what it is worth Dyche has created a culture at Burnley, got everyone there to buy into it and is delivering results that far exceed budget and expectation.

Best English manager bar none, for me.

4 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I did’nt realise Shaun Dyche was only 42,must have had an uphill paper round when he was a kid.

32 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

32 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

For what it is worth Dyche has created a culture at Burnley, got everyone there to buy into it and is delivering results that far exceed budget and expectation.

Best English manager bar none, for me.

Absolutely right. No doubt at all about it. 

There was a documentary the other day about Dyche and Burnley. He really is an impressive guy.

Hopefully LJ can do the same at City. 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hope he can too.  Would love to see him show more evidence of his learning and sticking to his principles.

Sadly not all City fans seem to want him to succeed but can't explain why that is.

Personally I want success for my club with any manager who tries to play entertaining and attacking football.

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

LJ went straight into first team management - Oldham, Barnsley and obviously us, without any apprenticeship.

Sure he has all the badges but that is not the same as doing the job.

As I have said recently on here, only to be derided by his 'fans' he is very inexperienced and I have little doubt that had he not have the right 'connections' he would be nowhere near HC at BCFC right now - in the future maybe, but not yet.

It is also a concern that his two assistants are equally inexperienced, I would have thought that having an older head around may be an advantage.

It might also help when we go on one of these horrendous runs of form that the three of them appear to have no inkling of how to resolve other than continual tinkering.

Agree with most of the sentiment.  I feel I t’s probably a bit worse though as LJ probably spent 9 or 10 years of his career playing for his old man and his experience of different managers in general is non existent not just since he hung up his boots.  Not only is he a young coach, he’s a young coach with a very limited references to call on when it comes to doing things differently.  I believe he desperately needs experience around him especially to help with his in game management.  I can’t see LJ or the club progressing long term without this kind of guidance.  If he’s here for the long term I don’t understand why the club don’t insist on him having this sort of help whilst he’s learning the ropes.  There must be someone he’s happy to work with.  I just hope we are not waiting for Gary to call it a day and take up a director of football role but nothing would surprise me.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Sadly not all City fans seem to want him to succeed but can't explain why that is.

Personally I want success for my club with any manager who tries to play entertaining and attacking football.

I would love Lee to succeed, but in time, can he convince players to run through brick walls for him and grind out results, consistently? 

6 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I would love Lee to succeed, but in time, can he convince players to run through brick walls for him and grind out results, consistently? 

He had them doing exactly that in the first half of the season but for whatever reasons wasn't able to get consistent performances in the second half.

Everyone involved at City will be aware of it and LJ and all the coaches and analysis boys will dissecting why it happened.

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Sure he has all the badges but that is not the same as doing the job....

Talking about badges, interesting fact about the much-maligned Tony Pulis - he obtained his FA coaching badges at the age of 19 and he then got his UEFA ‘A’ Licence at the age of 21....one of the youngest people ever to gain that qualification...seems he decided at a very young age that he was going to be a football manager...

16 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Sean Dyche was told by Brian Clough he was shit, if that wouldn’t give you a kick up the arse I dunno what would! Very good man manager, def knows his stuff, shame he was shit at City 

To be fair he wasn’t much better anywhere else. Spent the majority of his career in the bottom two divisions.

Surprised he only played 20 games for us though. I thought it was much more than that.

Archived