IGNORED

Bristol Rovers

bcfcredandwhite

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

That's really sad..................:facepalm:

They're just football fans like we are. They can't help supporting the wrong team...........:dunno:

They chose.... poorly.

Not the fans, let me stress that. It's the club itself. I have a handful of sag mates and they're all fine by me.

17 hours ago, Spoons said:

Merge! 

If I had a time machine I would go back and try and persuade the powers that be for exactly this. Bristol could easily support one team and revel in its glory. Just like ‘super’ club, Newcastle United

For me it was back in 1982 ...They really did try backhanded tactics to get our ground when it looked like we we're going bust and did not try to help out...They was offered a ground share but chose not too hoping they could get the ground on the cheap  at our expense and a few years later the story changed...Hated them as a club ever since. sad thing is my best mate (My  brother) is a gas head and we have never gone to a game together in 50 years

Coming from Warmley and drinking in Kingswood i have plenty of mates & just general people i know that are gas, we just basically take the piss out of each other and have a laugh about it (obviously in recent times they aint had much to come back with!!) Can't stand the club they support though and they know it!!

7 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

It may be slightly “nicer” in Liverpool because despite the fierce rivalry/hatred (I do agree that the nice friendly image is largely a myth) they also have a certain level of respect for each other, their past achievements and stature of each club. Both traditional, both well supported, both with a history of successful periods and a long standing fixture of at least 2 games a season, with just Stanley Park dividing the 2 clubs.

Our rivalry with Rovers feeds on bitterness, jealousy on their part, bad feeling on both sides, a cross city divide and a lack of success to respect. That and the fact that their supporters are compulsive liars and inbred morons..!

7 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Nicer perhaps wasn't the right word to use admittedly!

Past achievements is probably what it comes down to, good post that. :clap:

I lived in Liverpool for three years, and whilst the rivalry is very real and they certainly don’t LIKE each other I do think there is a lot of respect between the two. 

However, I think it’s less to do with past achievements. Don’t underestimate the Hillsbrough effect. The coverage/history of that event was very much seen as an attack on Liverpool, the city, rather than just the football team. Perhaps because, as said, loyalties split families. So to slur Liverpool fans as thieves etc etc was not used by Everton fans as a ‘look how horrible that lot north of the centre are’ (for example) but was seen as, literally, a slur on their brothers, best mates...on them. It wasn’t that uncommon to see Everton fans with 96 on the back of their shirts when I was there. 

So I think there’s a solidarity and mutual respect there for sure. You’d like to think Bristolians would also stick together in such a horrible situation.

7 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I see the Liverpool Everton derby rivalry as being a friendly one as well. 

If I had to name top 5 derbies in England I'd say (no particular order)

- Steel City

- Villa v Birmingham

- West Ham v Mill

- Tyne wear. 

- City v Gas

None of them compare to Manor Farm v Mangotsfield

The no 19 bus from The Straits, Fishponds took us Fishponds City supporters direct (Well a long way round) to Ashton Gate in the 50s and 60s, and many fans did as said above go toAshton Gate one week and Eastville the next, but as far as I am aware all were really committed City or Rovers fans first and supported the other Bristol side as their second team

As a City supporter when studying in The Midlands in the '60s I went as a Bristolian up to Everton to support Rovers in the cup. Rovers duly lost!

Different days, and in my view better days too.  I hate this absolute nonsense about 'the gas'.  In the 50s and 60s they were the pirates, much nicer and little to no nastiness 

Hey, Ho !

20 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Obviously not old enough to talk about this and feel genuinely qualified, but in my experience I've always found a kernel of truth around that particular myth.

Fair enough.

Southmead was one of our pickup points back in the 70's.....good bunch of lads.

Dad was Rovers went with him a few times but living in Knowle West went to watch City with mates.

Went to RC school so had friends from east Bristol used to go City and rovers in early 70s when i lefty school in 72 just supported City just went with my Dad a few times

10 hours ago, devoncider said:

I would add

Soton v Pompey

Exeter v Plymuff (under rated but means a lot down here!)

City v Gas got to be top 10 in the UK

Glad someone mentioned that one. Take your life in your hands in the olden days walking into Southampton city centre when the skanky skates were in town. Mind you a few were peaceful - staring at trees, wondering what they were.

To go back to the OP, "friendly" rivalries like City/Rovers existed all over football in the past.  When i lived in London, I met a mate's dad who supported both Arsenal and Spurs  from the 1950s until the 90s, when terrace pressure made him turn f/t Gooner. Such dual loyalties are unthinkable these days.  It's just the way football evolved and probably has lots of causes - not least of which is hooliganism/ the resulting segregation.

I think the geography plays a big role. Liverpool v Everton doesn't have a geographical split. Same with Dundee v Dundee United who have the closest grounds in the UK. The Dundee clubs even have a joint firm to take on the Old Firm, Aberdeen, Hibs etc.

when I went to a derby game at Goodison I saw a Liverpool fan have a full beer can thrown at him and I also heard sectarian singing. Everton fans were singing about chucking Proddies in the River Mersey, although it was done in a jokey way as opposed to the bitterness of the Old Firm. I still agree though it didn't have the nastiness of City v Rovers.

other factors can influence the nastiness of derby games e.g. The miners strike with Mansfield v Chesterfield and Chesterfield v Notts County and of course nations with City v Cardiff, Chester v Wrexham.

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Glad someone mentioned that one. Take your life in your hands in the olden days walking into Southampton city centre when the skanky skates were in town. Mind you a few were peaceful - staring at trees, wondering what they were. 

To go back to the OP, "friendly" rivalries like City/Rovers existed all over football in the past.  When i lived in London, I met a mate's dad who supported both Arsenal and Spurs  from the 1950s until the 90s, when terrace pressure made him turn f/t Gooner. Such dual loyalties are unthinkable these days.  It's just the way football evolved and probably has lots of causes - not least of which is hooliganism/ the resulting segregation.

Like cats and dogs them two.

Rivalries between two different cities (a la Cardiff/Swansea, Soton/Pompey) intrigue me just as much as inter-city like us & the gas, Wednesday/united.

Unsure as to which makes the hatred bigger - just different I guess

36 minutes ago, devoncider said:

Like cats and dogs them two.

Rivalries between two different cities (a la Cardiff/Swansea, Soton/Pompey) intrigue me just as much as inter-city like us & the gas, Wednesday/united.

Unsure as to which makes the hatred bigger - just different I guess

Newcastle v Sunderland...?

I suppose having a whole City/town unite against another creates a different tribal feeling, compared to a split City derby. 

I know Forest v Derby is another big one, but their historical links with Clough etc make that one a bit odd!

I think a lot also comes down to frequency of the fixtures. 

Never convinced with the river divide thing , growing up in south Gloucestershire in the 70s was always split pretty evenly , we used to catch a special footy coach on winterbourne high street from dursley via yate to the gate . Always been told theres a large unhealthy gas support in Weston super mare too ??? 

I’m obviously biased as I’ve had no experience of any other Derby but the experiences of the Bristol Derby has always been pure hatred, had an incident myself when I was still at school with a couple of much older sags which resulted in me breaking my ankle, went through the courts and everything, hated the ******* with a passion ever since. I’ve lived on the north side my whole life so in school the majority did tend to be, I’m 33 now so the Louis Donowa ‘moment’ was just before my time, apart from a couple of games they never had anything to crow about. 

Only way to sum them up whilst growing up amongst them, bitter and jealous. Can’t stand the *******.

7 hours ago, rat23 said:

Never convinced with the river divide thing , growing up in south Gloucestershire in the 70s was always split pretty evenly , we used to catch a special footy coach on winterbourne high street from dursley via yate to the gate . Always been told theres a large unhealthy gas support in Weston super mare too ??? 

Lots of City in Dursley in the 80s.

On 25/04/2018 at 23:47, milo1111 said:

Liverpool and Everton do hate each. All that friendly derby nonsense is a myth.

My neighbour is a Scouser. He supports Liverpool specifically because his Dad and Brother are Evertonians.

Archived