IGNORED

Wembley To Be Sold

Super

26 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Firstly, nothing can be ‘quite unique’. It is either unique or not, and as both England and Scotland both have national stadiums for football and rugby then it is clearly not unique. 

As for selling to a foreign investor that’s hardly a surprise. A large proportion of London’s real estate is out of English hands, so why should Wembley be any different. Personally, I believe the ‘home’ of English football has been cheapened for years, and especially so since it’s regular use by American wimpball, a sport where a guy wearing Kevlar runs off to the locker room having broken his finger nail. If the Fa can get a good price and use the money for the betterment of football as a whole, rather than chuck it down the throats of premiership clubs, then I’m for it. 

As an aside, Wembley is very red and white. Don’t the Jacksonville Jaguars play in blue?

They play in Teal.

I imagine they would be completely rebranded if they came to the UK though.

British Bulldogs I would call them. Play in red, white and blue.

4 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

There's no mention that this has been agreed.

It just says an offer has been made essentially.

A lot of conclusion jumping going on.

In the event of and before that the FA should listen to all opinions. Mind you they do come across as a rather hapless lot decade after decade; even looking into this shows their ineptitude.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Listening to a detailed report of this on the radio today, it was said that a sum up to £500m will be given to grass roots football to improve pitches, facilities and coaching up and down the country...not sure if that sum was a one off...!

Grass root football money is a cheap aside to assuage the masses; the money will be monumentally squandered and there will be no chance of an enquiry in 5 years time to find out how much of it was siphoned off as it is 'private' money.

There is absolutely no way this transaction will make any individual at the FA incredibly wealthy. (wealthier) 

This whole story stinks. Credit is the cheapest its ever been and the FA can't be bothered to service its debts to ensure that the home of football stays in the hands of football. 

Selling any soul it had left. 

The rebuild should never have been built on the site of the old one in the first place. Sat in one of the shittiest parts of London, terrible to get to. It was only nostalgia that meant the location won out, not rationale thought. And when they decided the twin towers would not form part of the new build, what nostalgia was left anyway? Its just a big gleaming edifice slapped in the middle of a cesspit of a location. 

Sell it and use the money to build a replacement close to the motorway network in the midlands, so we can all get to it with no big fuss.

If they got their skates on and individual stakeholders did some out of the box thinking they could even build it along the route of HS2 and have a national stadium HS2 station. Then there might even be a use for that other great white elephant.

8 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Can’t believe we’ve got to the point that the FA would sell the home and heart of the England national team for almost 100 years so someone can set up an American football team there.

Absolute madness.

However ‘iconic’ Wembley is, I’d much rather England travel around the Country.

5 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

There's actually a big difference between looking to sell and simply listening to offers made.

I'm not looking sell my house, but if someone came knocking on the door and offered me something I considered to be above it's worth, I would consider it.

I was merely stating that we don't know the finer details and yet it's already a disgrace, the home of football is being sold, nothing will be re-invested, the deal is a loss for the tax payer, etc etc...

Conjecture at this stage.

Conjecture maybe. I know someone high up in the FA who told me tonight that’s its happening. 

11 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

To be fair, Wembley stopped being iconic when they got rid of the twin towers. That was iconic. Arch just looks like a shite modern art project.

Saw this posted on the England fans forum. I'm shamefully copy / pasting it:-

If it means I don’t have to travel there to watch every England match then I’m all for it. 
Poor stadium from a spectators point of view and it’s only filled with tourists for most games. 
Nothing special about playing there anymore. Play offs, FA cup semis, Spurs.... All of these have chipped away at the aura of the place. 
It’s been to the detriment of the national side that all games are played at Wembley. Interest in England is at an all time low around the country. You can point at attendances but, like I said, it’s mainly tourists who have little interest in the actual game. 
Sell it, make the England team truly national, and catch up with the rest of the world who take their football around their countries.
It will still get used for most games though, unfortunately.

All so true!

20 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

To be fair, Wembley stopped being iconic when they got rid of the twin towers. That was iconic. Arch just looks like a shite modern art project.

Your right there mate, not iconic to me in the slightest but for many others it seems it still is.

16 minutes ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Saw this posted on the England fans forum. I'm shamefully copy / pasting it:-

If it means I don’t have to travel there to watch every England match then I’m all for it. 
Poor stadium from a spectators point of view and it’s only filled with tourists for most games. 
Nothing special about playing there anymore. Play offs, FA cup semis, Spurs.... All of these have chipped away at the aura of the place. 
It’s been to the detriment of the national side that all games are played at Wembley. Interest in England is at an all time low around the country. You can point at attendances but, like I said, it’s mainly tourists who have little interest in the actual game. 
Sell it, make the England team truly national, and catch up with the rest of the world who take their football around their countries.
It will still get used for most games though, unfortunately.

All so true!

From a spectators point of view, I don’t think there is a problem with the view of the pitch, I’ve sat in various parts including up in the gods and all are great views, now atmosphere wise it is god awful, as is the football from England usually. 

The FA hardly help themselves, 30,000 tickets for corporates at this seasons FA Cup final, absolute joke.

3 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Your right there mate, not iconic to me in the slightest but for many others it seems it still is.

From a spectators point of view, I don’t think there is a problem with the view of the pitch, I’ve sat in various parts including up in the gods and all are great views, now atmosphere wise it is god awful, as is the football from England usually. 

The FA hardly help themselves, 30,000 tickets fro corporates at this seasons FA Cup final, absolute joke.

Indeed, the view is fine. It's just everything else that isn't.

25 minutes ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Indeed, the view is fine. It's just everything else that isn't.

Disabled facilities and help from staff superb. Only place that has come close in football for me was Milton Keynes. 

From an old fashioned, rose tinted , pure football point of view it ain't a patch on the old Wembley. 

24 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Disabled facilities and help from staff superb. Only place that has come close in football for me was Milton Keynes. 

From an old fashioned, rose tinted , pure football point of view it ain't a patch on the old Wembley. 

When Barnsley played the last domestic game at the old Wembley, the 2000 play off final against Ipswich, it was my first ever visit to Wembley and the place had such an aura to it - the whole day was just magical. Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

But looking past the magic and the aura, the place was a dump and was falling down. It was crumbling. And the bogs were swimming in piss.

I've been to the new place quite a lot. Apart fron several Barnsley visits, my mate works his tits off as a local FA member and therefore gets access to tickets for the cup final so I have had several visits as one of the FA set. The new place has no special feel to it - its just another big shiny stadium where I feel like a customer not a fan.

BTW - For those who think the FA tickets are freebies, they most certainly are not. His year of giving up all his free time just gives him the "priviledge" of having access to buy the tickets. This year they have upped the price to 145 quid!! Forget it - thats taking the piss.

3 minutes ago, redsfan said:

When Barnsley played the last domestic game at the old Wembley, the 2000 play off final against Ipswich, it was my first ever visit to Wembley and the place had such an aura to it - the whole day was just magical. Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

But looking past the magic and the aura, the place was a dump and was falling down. It was crumbling. And the bogs were swimming in piss.

I've been to the new place quite a lot. Apart fron several Barnsley visits, my mate works his tits off as a local FA member and therefore gets access to tickets for the cup final so I have had several visits as one of the FA set. The new place has no special feel to it - its just another big shiny stadium where I feel like a customer not a fan.

BTW - For those who think the FA tickets are freebies, they most certainly are not. His year of giving up all his free time just gives him the "priviledge" of having access to buy the tickets. This year they have upped the price to 145 quid!! Forget it - thats taking the piss.

The piss might be explained by the comparative lack of toilets. 

_42914329_comparison_page3.gif.21c52156535c1742723a8facf9ec15d6.gif

15 minutes ago, redsfan said:

Fair play to your mate, sounds like he does a cracking job and deserves a chance of a ticket.

It is a piss take when you have fans who follow their team all over the country not being able to get a ticket to probably their biggest game of the season because the FA has only given each team 37,000 tickets, whilst 30,000 are going to people who probably couldn’t care less who wins.

31 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Fair play to your mate, sounds like he does a cracking job and deserves a chance of a ticket.

It is a piss take when you have fans who follow their team all over the country not being able to get a ticket to probably their biggest game of the season because the FA has only given each team 37,000 tickets, whilst 30,000 are going to people who probably couldn’t care less who wins.

To be fair, I completely agree with you. But I am 100% a total hypocrite because it hasn't stopped me enjoying the benefit of having a mate in the set. Been to 7 of the last 8 cup finals. Always good days out :) and a nice way to wrap up the season. (although none have been memorable finals in the same way they were when I was a kid). 

But 145 quid - no ta!. Sell it to some other mug. Thats nearly half the cost of next years season ticket for 1 day out and its not even for the good seats, its up in the clouds. God knows how much the "best" seats cost. 

7 hours ago, redsfan said:

The rebuild should never have been built on the site of the old one in the first place. Sat in one of the shittiest parts of London, terrible to get to. It was only nostalgia that meant the location won out, not rationale thought. And when they decided the twin towers would not form part of the new build, what nostalgia was left anyway? Its just a big gleaming edifice slapped in the middle of a cesspit of a location. 

Sell it and use the money to build a replacement close to the motorway network in the midlands, so we can all get to it with no big fuss.

If they got their skates on and individual stakeholders did some out of the box thinking they could even build it along the route of HS2 and have a national stadium HS2 station. Then there might even be a use for that other great white elephant.

Tend to think you have thought this through rather well. Of course, the one problem is that it would appear the FA have no intention of building a new national stadium because they want, think, dream they can forever hang on to the coat tails of another Johny foreigner. Like I said before, such a move would not happen anywhere else but here.

Should someone sensible, like your good self, manage to find a listening ear at the FA they may still have a problem persuading a bunch of clowns. Imagine the scenario though:-

1. Sell Wembley, lock stock and barrel, not for 900 million (it was 800 million the other day now BBC has changed the number) but for 1.2 billion; Khan can pay for the hospitality revenue as well and he is getting it for the same value it is worth over one year (300 million). Its actually a better deal for him and more cash for the FA going forward.

2. Khan can pay the 500 million now with the balance to the FA until they move out, in entirety.

3. The FA will continue to use Wembley until the new national stadium is built alongside an HS2 station (not that this will help us Bristolians get there mind) which might be somewhere around the NEC in B'ham. Once the stadium is built, probably for half the price it would have cost on London based land, the FA move out as soon as Khan pays his last instalment.

The end result would be that not only are the FA free of debt, they have their national stadium back hopefully this time with some decent design and atmosphere inside and they have plenty of money to allocate to grass roots football if they still so desire. they have their revenue stream under full control and they have their pride intact. In fact they come up smelling of roses for pulling off a master stroke. 

I suppose this is all far too logical for the FA though.

10 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

16 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Listening to a detailed report of this on the radio today, it was said that a sum up to £500m will be given to grass roots football to improve pitches, facilities and coaching up and down the country...not sure if that sum was a one off...!

I can see the arguments for the national team moving around again and buisness logic - but it’s symbolic for me. That’s my sentimentally I guess.

I’m suspicious of the “grass roots” argument though - when parachute payments are included in that grass roots funding. 

We are heading into a scenario where tax payers are indirectly paying for Jack Rodwell’s £70k per week at a relegated Sunderland and John Terry’s £4m a year at Villa.

Not good.

There will be nothing left in this Country that isn’t owned by foreigners, our trains, electric, gas, banks, bridges, football clubs, the majority of London, the list is endless, and this isn’t a xenophobic rant as i’m Supposedly a lily-livered leftie!!

I know the "new" stadium has poor atmosphere for most England games but the majority of the other competitive matches (play-offs, Johnson Paint etc)  are OK and the views and facilities are miles better than the old one.

The location is good - near about 5 different tube and overground lines so public transport is relatively easy - much better than Twickenham for example.  We need a national stadium and it should be in London - who the hell wants to go to somewhere near Birmingham? The atmosphere would be even worse for England games.

The FA appears to want to sell the family silver which would be  disgraceful if the offer is accepted. 

19 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

' Up to ' being a maximum, the minimum could be some loose change in the FA's piggy bank , a piece of string and a half eaten chocolate bar .

Archived