IGNORED

Marlon Pack - unsung hero

Nuno Gomes

Interesting article.  I guess it should come as no surprise to us who have watched him every other week.  Perhaps not said is the range of his passing.  Arguably the best long ball passer in the team.  For me the player who has improved the most this season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/79-9-pass-completion-rate-is-this-bristol-city-star-criminally-underrated/

4 minutes ago, Nuno Gomez said:

Interesting article.  I guess it should come as no surprise to us who have watched him every other week.  Perhaps not said is the range of his passing.  Arguably the best long ball passer in the team.  For me the player who has improved the most this season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/79-9-pass-completion-rate-is-this-bristol-city-star-criminally-underrated/

Agreed if it wasn’t for Bobbys goals, Marlon would be my choice for player of the season.

11 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Sadly be gone at the start of next year, I reckon to Southampton, if they go down. Portsmouth lad but won’t bother him

I think so too, but I'm not that concerned. As a midfield two Pack and Smith simply don't compliment eachother in my opinion.

I think of the two Marlon is easier (albeit not cheaper) to replace. To find someone who reads the game as a box to box player like Smith is quite rare.

Real contender for player of the year, but I would sell to a good offer. 

I said last week pre-game that I wonder if Marlon would be better further forward than the "quarterback’ position.  He has good range of passing, good vision, clever passing, and has a great shot.

Has improved every season he’s been here.

Ive been saying it for a few years, id love to know how many touches he has in a game. He is available all the time and most of our play goes through him. He has always been a decent passer, but his range is getting better every season, along with his reverse passing. A lot of people don't rate him because he doesn't run around as much as Korey Smith, but we miss him massively when hes not in the side. Korey Smith, for all his workrate, isn't a good footballer, Pack is quality.

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

I think so too, but I'm not that concerned. As a midfield two Pack and Smith simply don't compliment eachother in my opinion.

I think of the two Marlon is easier (albeit not cheaper) to replace. To find someone who reads the game as a box to box player like Smith is quite rare.

Real contender for player of the year, but I would sell to a good offer. 

Pack and Smith have proven to compliment each other. They’ve been the go to midfield pairing since that league 1 season. When the going got tough last season, and Smith got back fit, and Johnson chose to restore Pack into team, unsurprisingly our form picked up. 

For me the single best individual performance I have seen from a City player this season was Marlon's against Manchester United.

He had Pogba tearing his multi coloured hair out with frustration at being unable to better him.

No wonder Pep referred to him by name.

Love MP. Always rated him. The better the team, the more at home he will look. Does have a good range of passing but his long passing could be better. He gets too much air under it and it make the ball easier to intercept. You can see the difference when the likes of Huddlestone and Adam come to town(comparison only for long passing not entire game). Literally the only bad thing I can say about him. Much more complete midfielder than Korey Smith so fits a two quite well. Still think we should go to a midfield 3 next season. He’d be a good fit in that as well and as @Davefevs has said, doesn’t even have to be the holding midfield type. Think he could be a good box to box type. Making late runs into the box with his height would be dangerous(see Man City at AG) and can also pick a pass and play in tight spaces. 

2 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Don't understand all this about pace,you can be a great midfielder without being Usain Bolt. Scholes, Keane,I could name loads, Paul Hartley for us etc. Good players can make themselves a yard,look at Packs touch before he scores against Hull.

I don't disagree that clever players can compensate for a lack of pace, through positioning etc, but having it does give you an extra option, even if it is only over short bursts. It also helps in transition of play, how many times have we seen players break through our midfield because they have been caught on the attack (about 5 times on Saturday alone!)? 

It’s very noticeable when he isn’t in the team. 

In terms of pace I think that’s why he tends to be the player picking it up off the back four and isn’t expected to push too far up as getting back can sometimes be a problem. However, finally picked up some goals recently which we’ve really lacked from midfield since promotion. Without doubt one of the most improved players for us since promotion. Would be a real shame if he went because I think he will improve further still.

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

He's added a bit of consistency this year. Always had it, but was always prone to a wayward, hollywood pass, bad touch or getting caught in possession. He's cut that out and is looking sharper. 

I guess the odd stray pass is going to show up when you have so much of the ball. As others have said a very underrated player who always seems to get overshadowed by everyone else. 

Archived