IGNORED

Is Lee Johnson the right man for the job?

reddogkev

Forget WBA, what about us?  It pains me to say this, because I like and respect Lee and want him to succeed, but our remarkable demise since the beginning of January has affected my view of LJ.  I appreciate that he has moulded us into a steady Championship team, but am seriously concerned that he couldn't find a way to recover the form (that I give him credit for in respect to the first part of the season) and lost everything good we had created. 

I look at him now and don't see a manager with the ability to push City on.  As sad as it sounds, if he left in the summer, I would partially be relieved as can see us struggling from the off next season, especially if the incredible form of Reid leads to his sale.

Despite this, I don't expect and don't call for the club to oust Lee Johnson, not on the back of a decent 10th place finished, but just can't shake this feeling of failure.  If we don't get off to a quick start again next season, will we be able to prevent another losing sequence and a relegation battle?

This sounds very pessimistic, but after the last 4 months, it's hard not to feel so bloody negative and downbeat!

How many out there at the moment still have confidence in Lee to deliver the goods in the Championship?

This was the season where we could truely judge Johnson.

In my opinion nothing has changed, he has failed to shake off the good runs bad runs good runs bad runs, it's a cycle that has happened over and over for him at three different clubs.

If he is an up and coming manager, let him now move on and proove it with someone else i say.

The thing with LJ is that this is still very early in his career.  He's still learning, gaining experience and hopefully improving.  Lots of people comment on his ability as if you're either a good manager or a bad manager, and nothing will ever change.  LJ could become the next Alex Ferguson, or he could reach a certain level and not be able to go any further.  We just don't know.

He has clearly got the motivation, the work ethic and the desire to succeed.  The big question, which only time will tell (and it's far too early for any of us to know) is how much he'll improve.  Personally, I would love him to carry on learning and get better and better with us.  Only time will tell.

The worry for me is that this run in 2018 has seen us play some awful football.  Is it just me that thought that even in last year’s run, we played some good stuff....but we had some bad luck and individual mistakes.

Today from what I saw (60 minutes) was no different to many away games since Hull away (which perversely we won, as we did v Sheffield Utd).  The only away game I’ve seen in that run where I thought we played well was Leeds.  We just fell apart final 20-25, but we played some good stuff that day.

I really don’t know what to think.

I know none of us are pro coaches, and with the odd exception (MM0, none of us are ex-pros either, but I can’t get my head around the decisions that appear to me (and others on here who talk a lot of sense) to be completely baffling, or over-complicated.

I actually think he’s created an unbalanced squad in certain areas.  I’ll give him a pass on injuries, but that kinda covers my point about imbalance.  That makes it difficult for him to make like-for-like subs, just to create freshness, it means change and then he goes overboard by complicating it by trying to compensate for the player just brought on.

Right Back - I don’t need to elaborate here, but we lacked cover of sufficient quality once Pisano got injured and Wright (a CB) starting struggling with niggles that started post-Xmas.

Wide Midfielders - he has a system that doesn’t involve wingers (COD imho has been converted into and industrious wide midfielder, albeit more flair than Brownhill), yet signs Eliasson and then Kent on loan

Central Midfielder - where is the player to challenge Pack and Smith (apart from the one who needs to play RM!).  Just as well they have been good in the main.

Strikers - Diedhiou and Reid, no issues, but Djúric was bought, when LJ doesn’t want to play a direct / long ball game.  Can go on for ever about Woodrow, Taylor, Hinds, etc.

A lot of work is needed over the summer.  He is a bright coach, but I have doubts he is a bright manager.

This craving for instant success drives me nuts. We are all disappointed we have missed out on the play-offs, but have made real progress this year. Amongst the favourites for promotion, we can’t be upset at a top half finish and a league cup semi final. 

With the exception of those clubs with mega bucks who can go out and buy the best coaches in the world, such as Chelsea, the constant changing of managers generally leads to struggle and relegation. Those clubs who have the balls to stay with their nanager and build year in year usually end up promoted. Not only that, because they now have a clear direction and ethos, they usually stay in the higher division. It took Alan Dicks 9 seasons to get us into the old 1st division, so Lee has plenty of time. 

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

This craving for instant success drives me nuts. We are all disappointed we have missed out on the play-offs, but have made real progress this year. Amongst the favourites for promotion, we can’t be upset at a top half finish and a league cup semi final. 

With the exception of those clubs with mega bucks who can go out and buy the best coaches in the world, such as Chelsea, the constant changing of managers generally leads to struggle and relegation. Those clubs who have the balls to stay with their nanager and build year in year usually end up promoted. Not only that, because they now have a clear direction and ethos, they usually stay in the higher division. It took Alan Dicks 9 seasons to get us into the old 1st division, so Lee has plenty of time. 

Oops, I of course meant favourites for relegation. 

He is for sure a decent bloke, but why or why cannot he, and the other 'staff' come out and say what we can all see, that last four months have been huge struggle, and rather than usual gibberings tell us how they are going to deal with the rot and huge slump.

Just before todays game McAllister was put up to tell us they were going out to win the last two games, yet the stats show that was never a possibility.  I feel they are in denial and I would have so much more time for them if there was some honesty.  We can all see it was a season of two halves.

There are some managers who tell it as it is, and others who are simply deluded and full of meaningless speak. :unsure:

1 minute ago, DT The Optimist said:

He is for sure a decent bloke, but why or why cannot he, and the other 'staff' come out and say what we can all see, that last four months have been huge struggle, and rather than usual gibberings tell us how they are going to deal with the rot and huge slump.

Just before todays game McAllister was put up to tell us they were going out to win the last two games, yet the stats show that was never a possibility.  I feel they are in denial and I would have so much more time for them if there was some honesty.  We can all see it was a season of two halves.

There are some managers who tell it as it is, and others who are simply deluded and full of meaningless speak. :unsure:

A reckon if he'd never met Mark Ashton he might talk in plain English. 

I think the problem with this season is.

if at the beginning of the season you offered people 11th place and beat Man Utd and have 2 good games with man city people would have bitten your arm off.

the problem is that the beginning of our season was so good and our second half so shocking. It means people are worried about next season, if we started the season how we finished this season and ended how we started people would be a lot more excited. I’m not in Lee out or lee in camp. I’m an optimistic person but even these last 3/4 games I’ve known we’ve not realistically had a chance of play offs.

if he is the right man for the job depends. Do we want instant success no he probably isn’t, if we want to slowly improve and him to get better maybe, just depends if he brings the team from the first half of the season or the second.

with the best finish we've had to a season for years the answer is obvious. Sack the bloke who got us there. I'm amazed and appalled all at the same time. With fans like that, its no wonder this club has achieved the grand total of **** all in its entire history.

It's not been consistent, but consistency can be worked on. To fire the bloke who guided City through their best season for donkeys years is absolutely mad. A vocal few apparently want just that.

2 hours ago, red panda said:

The thing with LJ is that this is still very early in his career.  He's still learning, gaining experience and hopefully improving.  Lots of people comment on his ability as if you're either a good manager or a bad manager, and nothing will ever change.  LJ could become the next Alex Ferguson, or he could reach a certain level and not be able to go any further.  We just don't know.

He has clearly got the motivation, the work ethic and the desire to succeed.  The big question, which only time will tell (and it's far too early for any of us to know) is how much he'll improve.  Personally, I would love him to carry on learning and get better and better with us.  Only time will tell.

shame really he didn't get that experience somewhere else first, don't really like us being the Guinea pig in his career.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Have we made progress though?

Surely genuine progress is evidenced by a consistent improvement in performance level over an extended period of time. We’ve been poor for months now. If we’d really made progress would such an extended run of sub-par performances have happened?

I’m sat here now looking at our performances since Christmas and I question we’ve actually made any progress at all. Is the team right now any better than the one that finished last season strongly?

I’m no more optimistic about next season than I was this time last year about this season. And if I feel that way, then what progress have we made really?

(Oh and one other thing, I’ve been craving success since my first game in 1987 and in my 34 years on earth I’ve never seen us play in the top division despite supporting a club in the 6th biggest city in the country. I’m not sure I’d call that “craving instant success”)

YES!!!! He is young, actually has passion for our club, has an exciting team that plays nice football (that hasn't been the case recently, admittedly), and has progressed over the last two seasons. Yes we have been shit this year but, and it has been a missed opprtunity, but stick with the man. Seriously who the hell wants league one, Steve Coppell, Derick McInnes, Sean O'Driscoll, Keith Millen etc. Do you all have short memories!?!?!?!?!?!? Yes Cotterill was a great time but that was after a dire season on LEAGUE ONE. Honeslty we too high expectations sometimes.

Johnson isn't perfect but who the hell is the messiah alternative!? Warnock!? YEAH RIGHT. Dross football for a season, possibly get promoted and then come straight back down. We have talented youngsters, two Bristolian first team players (I'm not even Bristolian but its great!) and are trying to things in a more sustainable manner. The last time we were in the position (under senior) we signed ABSOLUTE SHITE that took years to get rid of. WE DON'T WANT THAT AGAIN! Roll on next season.

Bit drunk btw.

Not again

• he will be given till Jan window "to see how his summer window goes"
  • he will be given a few months for the Jan window "tweeks" to "gell"
  • he will be given another summer window "as reward for just keeping us in this div"
  • and...."we go again" zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • SL/LJ = :hug::hug::hug:

8 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Forget WBA, what about us?  It pains me to say this, because I like and respect Lee and want him to succeed, but our remarkable demise since the beginning of January has affected my view of LJ.  I appreciate that he has moulded us into a steady Championship team, but am seriously concerned that he couldn't find a way to recover the form (that I give him credit for in respect to the first part of the season) and lost everything good we had created. 

I look at him now and don't see a manager with the ability to push City on.  As sad as it sounds, if he left in the summer, I would partially be relieved as can see us struggling from the off next season, especially if the incredible form of Reid leads to his sale.

Despite this, I don't expect and don't call for the club to oust Lee Johnson, not on the back of a decent 10th place finished, but just can't shake this feeling of failure.  If we don't get off to a quick start again next season, will we be able to prevent another losing sequence and a relegation battle?

This sounds very pessimistic, but after the last 4 months, it's hard not to feel so bloody negative and downbeat!

How many out there at the moment still have confidence in Lee to deliver the goods in the Championship?

Last season when we were on the very, very bad run I was in LJs side. First half of the season was a dream, second, reality? Not sure anymore about LJ, we will see next season. Still got believe in him him and the team. Still worrying about the departues. Reid, Bryan, Pack, Famara. One or two of these we can managed, but not more. We had bad luck this season with all injuries so its maybe not LJs fault, probably not. Jan transfer is difficault LJ said before it was open. The french guy and Kent was not good, Walsh we will see. Dont understand why he plays Paterson all the time. Eliasson on the bench, hardly play a minute? At this moment Im worried about next season, second half of this is not promising.

• Admin
8 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

This craving for instant success drives me nuts. 

I have been going to AG since 1966, I was fortunate enough to see Dicks take us to Division 1 and have been waiting a return ever since, hardly craving instant success, but we have started to build momentum towards it several times in that period, only to fail, it’s hardly surprising that when we had a golden opportunity to build and have a real go at it, we have capitulated so badly, falling quite dramatically from the heights of big games on TV and second place.  That is the concern of many, how long before that chance comes again?

15 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I have been going to AG since 1966, I was fortunate enough to see Dicks take us to Division 1 and have been waiting a return ever since, hardly craving instant success, but we have started to build momentum towards it several times in that period, only to fail, it’s hardly surprising that when we had a golden opportunity to build and have a real go at it, we have capitulated so badly, falling quite dramatically from the heights of big games on TV and second place.  That is the concern of many, how long before that chance comes again?

2028 is my guess

9 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Instant success, I've only waited 38 years for our return to the top flight.

In that time I've witnessed at least a dozen smaller clubs than us go up.

17 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

While January onwards has been pretty much a shambles, what's to say LJ may not get us in that position again? Yet some wouldn't give the chance to the guy who has put us in position for a top 10 finish if we avoid defeat against Sheffield Utd. We've finished in a higher position under LJ each season so see if he can do it again next season. I like that we have a little consistency in management atm rather than sacking someone every couple of years.

Archived