IGNORED

Is Lee Johnson the right man for the job?

reddogkev

On 29/04/2018 at 20:20, ChippenhamRed said:

Presumably referring to these. Broadly true perhaps, but not really acknowledging the post-Christmas capitulation. In fact I found the back-slapping a bit annoying given our form - I’d have preferred to have seen a bit more recognition of how it might also be seen as a failure. Not exactly chiming with the current mood. Just felt a bit too propaganda-ish for me.

My idea of “fighting” is not going from 2nd to 10th in 4 months.

Edit - reading this back I perhaps seem harsh, I’m just not really in the mood for club employees (albeit legends) to tell us how great everything is right now.

6E1BFA6C-328E-44C0-9E7B-7DB6DD65FA83.jpeg

B090EC39-83E6-4F34-A735-273D0BF5D2E2.jpeg

23 hours ago, RumRed said:

Club employees in following the club's narrative shocker!

Sorry, catching up....my thoughts too.

11 hours ago, spudski said:

I understand peoples frustrations...but it's always the managers that get the backlash of that frustration.

Look at our recent history...as a Bristol City fan, have you been taken in by the big stadium, rich owner, the money he's paid out short term in the past, the fact we are the 'biggest' club in a large City, attract large numbers on occasion, the local press that hypes us up, the big catchment area?

Or... do you look at history of where we have finished in leagues, what leagues we've been in, what we have or haven't won, and if so what level was that at. Who we've attracted as players or managers etc?

Look at the list of managers we've had since Alan Dicks...how long each manager has been here, what they actually achieved long term, what have they done since, who appointed them, why we haven't brought in managers with higher credentials, could or couldn't we attract them, why did we change our strategy nearly every season?

Then you look at what we are trying to do now...

Imo...you can ask for the manager to be changed, and then two years down the line want the same again....which has been our continual history more or less.

For all those who have been watching since the 50's, 60's, 70's...I get their frustration...but look at our history...it's been like groundhog day throughout...yet some want to go back to that way of running the club. It didn't work before, so why do you expect it to work now?

Surely a change of tact would make sense...and some stability and a chance to build, even if it means two steps forward, one step back on the way?

Happy with stability, but I’ve said too many times that LJ shows inconsistency in so many things that I'm not surprised the team do too.  He has his principles about the way he plays, then chucks it in the bin.  Subtle tweaks are needed, not extremes.  A better and / or experienced head coach would not abandon his philosophy.  That’s not to absolve some of the players from blame either.  The likes of Baker (who I heralded earlier this season) died for the cause until his red v QPR.  Since then he’s barely made a challenge.  Not just picking on him, as there are others too.

Back to LJ, you start to see weird team selections or formation changes when he’s under pressure.  I analysed all his subs last week.  Pre-Xmas, they seemed logical, of late they weren’t.  That’s not just me but plenty of other posters too.

Of course managers get the backlash....they make all the decisions.  Unfair, yes, because they don’t kick the ball...but it goes with the territory.  We all concluded that Darren Lehman had to go for the ball tampering.  He may have known nothing (as he insisted), but it was on his “watch”.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As you will see above len - financially too , by some miles 

No £2 million pound development signings out on loan for them , buy them , use them , sell them , repeat

Anyway , Apparently , our approach / philosophy is totally different to theirs

I think this is the crux of it.  Why would you spend this much if you don’t intend to play them.  I could excuse Eliasson taking 6 months to adjust, but I would still expect a bit-part in that period, and then kick on post Xmas.  He’s actually got further away from action.  He’s played 27 minutes of league football since starting away at Sheffield Utd.

Taylor Moore, played first team games, before being sent to Bury in Lg1.  This season he’s in Lg2.  I accept he might need toughening up, but is playing RB in Lg2 in 23 (out of 37) developing him as a CB.  If there weren’t serious candidates to take him on loan, let him learn against Diedhiou, Taylor and Djúric.....they’d rough him up in training, and he’s be practicing alongside Flint and Baker.

I think we’ve been too accommodating to Cheltenham.  

If these players are good enough to spend over £3m on, coach them to become better at our own club.

I could repeat the same re Engvall.

Of course, you can throw Vyner back at me.  Great loan at Plymouth.  Better standard, better teammates than Cheltenham.  I might throw back at you - Bailey Wright carrying a niggle since Leeds in February, and Pisano has not fully recovered from a very serious injury.  Would Vyner have done any worse...I doubt it, and like Kelly might have good experience to kick-in to next season.

I still want Johnson to succeed, but i’m Finding the same arguments against him that I've always had.  Maybe I just can’t see through these issues?

What are the arguments FOR?

- League Position progress - a strong plus (if you ignore 2018)

- Brand of football - a plus (if you ignore much of 2018)

- Player development - some obvious pluses (Reid) (but some who’ve gone backwards)

I just dunno.

I think I want the season over and then hopefully rejuvenated by the summer window.  What a shit thought from what could’ve been.

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Indeed results speak for themselves...hence the facts I gave you.

Funny how they lost to Barnsley 2=0 on the weekend...almost as bad as our Burton result.

Comparing both teams against one another is futile...it's about the league in whole.

You compared us in the first place by saying us and Brentford are ‘trying to do things differently’. And that’s what I challenged.  We cannot be compared. As much as it bugs me to say it they are a better team than us who work on a lower budget and lower attendances.  

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Many more teams haven't been promoted using the 'generic' strategy.

A huge number have been signed for development...for the future.

They weren't bought in to play this season, and some not even next. We've a long term strategy...not a short term.

The prices of players has gone through the roof...what we think is expensive...a couple million, is nothing these days.

It takes time...how do you expect players brought in for development to make an impact this season?

Head in the ground is continually doing the same thing, that doesn't work.

Head in the ground is trying to do the same as other teams in this league that have far more resources than us.

Us and Brentford are trying to compete by doing it slightly differently.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

1 point difference and they've lost more than us, and scored less...even though they've had more shots attempted than any other team in the league. Same goal difference...hardly any difference between us.

Take a look at the league table and look below us and around us...we are far better than many bigger teams in the league over the season.

42 goal better difference than Birmingham as an example.

17 goals better and 10 points better than the mighty Leeds...

but apparently to the vocal minority on here...we are shite.

No. The vocal minority do not say we are shite. We were first class before Xmas and have been , but since then the stats and the record confirm we have been pretty shocking since.  The last 23 games we sadly have been poor and you can count decent games few snd far between.  

22 minutes ago, lenred said:

You compared us in the first place by saying us and Brentford are ‘trying to do things differently’. And that’s what I challenged.  We cannot be compared. As much as it bugs me to say it they are a better team than us who work on a lower budget and lower attendances.  

We'll have to agree to disagree mate.

I would say Brentford and us are doing it differently to the majority of the rest of the league.

Brentford doing it their way...us doing it our way.

I'm not comparing us...as we are both doing it differently. You've misunderstood my initial quote.

And yes...Brentford play nice football.

I even got bashed at the beginning of the season for saying Brentford would make 6th place, when they were on a bad run. well they aren't far off.

I like Brentford and what they are doing... I also like what we are doing.

Brentford aren’t doing it differently to us at all (Aloegedly though we are using software others aren’t :whistle:)

In theory a mirror recruitment / sell on philosophy

Certainly in respect of  recruitment and generating income they are doing it better , substantially better 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Brentford aren’t doing it differently to us at all (Aloegedly though we are using software others aren’t :whistle:)

Certainly in respect of  recruitment and generating income they are doing it better , substantially better 

The only counter to that is Brownhill and O’Dowda, and if you want to stretch it....Moore and Eliasson.  Time will tell Bob.

You could argue / draw conclusions that players of sufficient quality therefore exist in Lg1 and Lg2, and cheaper, especially if you can get them when they approach the end of their contract (Small tribunal fee) in Josh’s case.  That has been my point for a while.  You do wonder how much the agent fees are for these "foreign" signings!

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The only counter to that is Brownhill and O’Dowda, and if you want to stretch it....Moore and Eliasson.  Time will tell Bob.

You could argue / draw conclusions that players of sufficient quality therefore exist in Lg1 and Lg2, and cheaper, especially if you can get them when they approach the end of their contract (Small tribunal fee) in Josh’s case.  That has been my point for a while.  You do wonder how much the agent fees are for these "foreign" signings!

Agree Dave

Ultimately time will tell

dont like the signs atm

The fact you highlighted JB & COD indicates maybe that L1 / 2 is the pond we should be sifting hetter

Brentford with Gray , Hogan , Woods , Bentley Tarwoski , Dean, Watkins amongst many showing the way

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree Dave

Ultimately time will tell

dont like the signs atm

The fact you highlighted JB & COD indicates maybe that L1 / 2 is the pond we should be sifting hetter

Brentford with Gray , Hogan , Woods , Bentley Tarwoski , Dean, Watkins amongst many showing the way

Exactly the point I’m making!!! :P

i suspect @redcherryberry Might agree.  Although he’d probably say they are in the funnel, but that funnel has a bung in it!!

The European, metric, funnel perhaps has a different bung in it, that allows the odd Northern European player through it. :laughcont: according to our Swedish friend.

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

How they recruit is completely different to ours.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly the point I’m making!!! :P

i suspect @redcherryberry Might agree.  Although he’d probably say they are in the funnel, but that funnel has a bung in it!!

The European, metric, funnel perhaps has a different bung in it, that allows the odd Northern European player through it. :laughcont: according to our Swedish friend.

And he'd be right Dave.

Unfortunately it still goes on in football, and certain people like to deal with certain others...which often leads to us wondering why we didn't pick up players when they were available to pick up at a good price.

11 hours ago, spudski said:

1 point difference and they've lost more than us, and scored less...even though they've had more shots attempted than any other team in the league. Same goal difference...hardly any difference between us.

Take a look at the league table and look below us and around us...we are far better than many bigger teams in the league over the season.

42 goal better difference than Birmingham as an example.

17 goals better and 10 points better than the mighty Leeds...

but apparently to the vocal minority on here...we are shite.

Spudski, you are and always will be one of the refined voices of wisdom, and show an impressive awareness of City's strategy, but even your sensible suggestions are lost behind the weight of our capitulation since January.  Just put your hands up and admit that collectively everything, including LJ, failed massively this year (I mean 2018).

This failure is not based on the pre-season expectation, it is based upon the chance our brave, pressing play had given us this season to have a realistic chance of promotion.

50 minutes ago, spudski said:

How they recruit is completely different to ours.

Interesting 

Please expand

Im going by LJ and MAs explanations of the recruitment process

and’ 

Unfortunately it still goes on in football, and certain people like to deal with certain others...which often leads to us wondering why we didn't pick up players when they were available to pick up at a good price.

Are you suggesting again that certain people at BCFC will only ‘deal with certain people’ or that we are missing out on signings because some agents prefer to deal with other Clubs  ?

•  

6 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Spudski, you are and always will be one of the refined voices of wisdom, and show an impressive awareness of City's strategy, but even your sensible suggestions are lost behind the weight of our capitulation since January.  Just put your hands up and admit that collectively everything, including LJ, failed massively this year (I mean 2018).

This failure is not based on the pre-season expectation, it is based upon the chance our brave, pressing play had given us this season to have a realistic chance of promotion.

I agree...our results and form have been poor since January.

However...the reasons why that has happened have been done to death on here repeatedly. I'm not going over them again.

Unfortunately, certain fans still want to ignore those reasons, and just keep picking away at the club trying to find as much fault as they can.

Every post by certain members now seems to have a negative slant.

They choose to ignore the obvious, and prefer to keep looking for other reasons.

Nearly every thread now is doom and gloom. So negative and it just breads negativity.

It might be with good intent, and a hobby for some to look into everything with fine detail...but it's all done with a few inaccurate stats from google searches.

No one knows the inner workings of what's happening at the club. The why's and where for's.

I and others can see the club are trying to do things differently to compete in this league and that we now have a long term project.

We can see players have been brought in for development for the future and that there is now a clear pathway for the academy and loan players to be fast tracked.

It's positive...it doesn't mean everything will work...but at least they are trying to do something long term...but their will be failures, that's guaranteed as nothing in football is perfect.

I just don't understand the constant picking at the club, when they are trying to do the right thing.

It says more about the people posting with their constant negative outlook and constant trying to find fault.

I'm no happy clapper...but the constant negativity is not healthy.

It just breads negativity...and you only have to see how some people fly off the handle really quickly and get so angry...it's not normal or healthy.

Negative people have a problem for every solution tried.

They are either lonely, bored or broke.

Success is based on motivation, inspiration, and trying to find the positives in things...unsuccessful people, just hate, blame and complain. They spend their time looking for faults, both in the club and other members, yet spend no time trying to correct their own faults.

It's a common theme on here...you come on feeling positive, read some of the shit on here and feel completely negative.

They suck the life out of you and bring you down to their level.

I've no interest in communicating with them anymore...positive life suckers.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

However...the reasons why that has happened have been done to death on here repeatedly. I'm not going over them again.

Unfortunately, certain fans still want to ignore those reasons, and just keep picking away at the club trying to find as much fault as they can.

They choose to ignore the obvious, and prefer to keep looking for other reasons.

Nearly every thread now is doom and gloom. So negative and it just breads negativity.

It might be with good intent, and a hobby for some to look into everything with fine detail...but it's all done with a few inaccurate stats from google searches.

No one knows the inner workings of what's happening at the club. The why's and where for's.

I and others can see the club are trying to do things differently to compete in this league and that we now have a long term project.

We can see players have been brought in for development for the future and that there is now a clear pathway for the academy and loan players to be fast tracked.

It's positive...it doesn't mean everything will work...but at least they are trying to do something long term...but their will be failures, that's guaranteed as nothing in football is perfect.

I just don't understand the constant picking at the club, when they are trying to do the right thing.

It says more about the people posting with their constant negative outlook and constant trying to find fault.

It just breads negativity...and you only have to see how some people fly off the handle really quickly and get so angry...it's not normal or healthy.

Success is based on motivation, inspiration, and trying to find the positives in things...unsuccessful people, just hate, blame and complain. They spend their time looking for faults, both in the club and other members, yet spend no time trying to correct their own faults.

It's a common theme on here...you come on feeling positive, read some of the shit on here and feel completely negative.

Slagging off groups of others again with your know it all and big judgement and statements about  others situations (Whilst knowing jack shit about them)

hmmmmmm

interesting that you were one of the biggest loudest critics of the Club in SCs regime

Think there’s a personal rejection story there 

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Interesting 

Please expand

Im going by LJ and MAs explanations of the recruitment process

and’ 

Unfortunately it still goes on in football, and certain people like to deal with certain others...which often leads to us wondering why we didn't pick up players when they were available to pick up at a good price.

Are you suggesting again that certain people at BCFC will only ‘deal with certain people’ or that we are missing out on signings because some agents prefer to deal with other Clubs  ?

•  

Google 'Brentford recruitment' BBSB

There's a whole load of info out there as to how they recruit, where from, which leagues, why, dropped academy prem players. Dropping the academy. Who the analitics  work etc.

As for last sentence....they did and have done in the past.

As for Agents dealing with certain scouts and Directors of football....yes it happens.

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Slagging off groups of others again 

hmmmmmm

interesting that you were one of the biggest loudest critics of the Club in SCs regime

Think there’s a personal rejection story there 

It works both ways.

SC was working for himself and ripping the heart out of the club.

Whether you like LJ or not...at least he's working with the club and trying to do the right thing. That's why I back him. No other reason.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Agree with everything you say.  I prefer to keep it simple though and separate City into 2 brackets of thought at the moment:

1) the club and everything to do with City has never been healthier and stronger - my only moan is the ticket prices, but this seems to be a moan with football in general, not just City.

Besides the expensive ticket prices, all talk about City and things going on behind the scenes should be very positive and bristling with optimism.

2) The failure this season since January - this is rightly a topic of negativity and can be heavy with doom and gloom.  Some take it too far, some find the right balance.  Personally, I feel our failure in respect to point number 2 has put questions marks over the skill of LJ and whether he can lead us to compete consistently at the top end of the Championship.

As many a wise man has once said, 'Don't let the bastards get you down,' this also applies to incessant moaners.

15 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Next season is huge for LJ as manager of Bristol City

It will be his third full season here and for me, he must deliver a top 6 finish. You could argue last season he was finding his feet at this level and we were going through a transition. You can even argue this season has been about starting to build something that's really his. At some point though he has to start delivering on the pitch. We cannot keep talking about 'building' and 'learning'. 

My concern is I just can't trust him to get recruitment right. No matter who he signs...our spine always ends up being players who were here before he came. I really believe we will lose Flint, Bryan, Reid and Pack in the summer...and I genuinely fear for us next year with what he will bring in to replace them

He will still be here September but he will NEED to hit the ground running. Anything else and it will turn toxic and his job with become untenable

The dream is top 6 this time next year

The reality is he will be gone by end of October 

SL won't sack him, and LJ will never surely volunteer for the bullet ? I can't personally ever see him managing a  bigger better club than us so why should he jump when he knows he won't be pushed ??

1 minute ago, spudski said:

It works both ways.

SC was working for himself and ripping the heart out of the club.

Whether you like LJ or not...at least he's working with the club and trying to do the right thing. That's why I back him. No other reason.

You’re constant general slating of others and their situations is nauseating 

I know of one poster on here who , you may or may nott agree with in their views , that poster has had / has a real tough time but still takes time to show thought and kindness

Is that the sort of poster your tirade is aimed at ?

For someone who comments about others lives you post an awful lot on here yourself

Think You May have had your own GJ / Robbo moment with SC   :whistle:

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You’re constant general slating of others and their situations is nauseating 

I know of one poster on here who , you may or may nott agree with in their views , that poster has had / has a real tough time but still takes time to show thought and kindness

Is that the sort of poster your tirade is aimed at ?

For someone who comments about others lives you post an awful lot on here yourself

Think You May have had your own GJ / Robbo moment with SC   :whistle:

I don't mind having disagreements with others in an adult fashion without getting hostile.

There is no constant slating of others... I think you'll find that lays at your feet...aggressive, negative and previously banned for it.

You're all over this forum like a rash...trying to bum up to certain posters to gain allegiance...it's all very childish.

Perhaps if you had a look at your own posts and the negativity you breed, then this place might become a better place to chat in an adult fashion without slanging match's with members all the time.

And why bring Robbo into it...typical of you.

I can't be arsed to talk to you anymore...enough chances...totally over it.

I look forward to the next tirade of abuse and negativity.

Have a lovely day in the forum of gloom.

I'm off to play golf...

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't mind having disagreements with others in an adult fashion without getting hostile.

There is no constant slating of others... I think you'll find that lays at your feet...aggressive, negative and previously banned for it.

Not much !!!!!  - just idiotic generalisations in the vast majority of your posts - you know it and you’ve been challenged about it

You're all over this forum like a rash...trying to bum up to certain posters to gain allegiance...it's all very childish.

Ohhhhhh the irony  :yes: how schoolboy of you       ya ya ya

Think it’s more to do with you not liking that I don’t kiss your ass Spudski ( As I see through you)

I don’t know which ‘certain posters’ I ‘bum up to’ , maybe you’d like to point them out - there are some who regularly make me laugh and others who talk a lot of sense , who I am likely to regularly ‘like’  

Sorry if that upsets you  

Perhaps if you had a look at your own posts and the negativity you breed, then this place might become a better place to chat in an adult fashion without slanging match's with members all the time.

:whistle: what an Ironic claim - You were spreading some very serious allegations / insinuations about certain senior employees at the Club , not a couple of years back  :whistle: 

And why bring Robbo into it...typical of you.

I can't be arsed to talk to you anymore...enough chances...totally over it.

:whistle: :thumbsup:

I look forward to the next tirade of abuse and negativity.

Have a lovely day in the forum of gloom.

I'm off to play golf...

:laughcont:

Sorry but a b*********r

And you don’t like being called out on it

Me - just one of the rest of the world of City fans who don’t understand the game or how it works , unlike you Spud eh

Think your personal ego affects your judgenent , and having your nose put out of joint in the past has left you bitter about certain people at BCFC 

You will support what might benefit you personally and your personal agenda   IMHO

Somebody working their way back in ......

Foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

good day  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, spudski said:

You must see the irony in that statement coming from you. Your present stance appears to be determined to put a positive slant on everything, even though you were very much in the 'depths of despair', and negative about everything when SC was in charge.

Any frustration you feel about negativity on here now will have been shared by those reading your scathing posts under SC.

There doesn't seem to be a middle ground with you - you seem to be either 100% supportive, or one of the most consistently acrimonious posters depending on whether you like the manager/set up at the time or not.

While you speak a lot of sense at times you also show little patience and are quite dismissive of those who don't share your views, which always seem to be entrenched one way or the other..

4 hours ago, Loon plage said:

SL won't sack him, and LJ will never surely volunteer for the bullet ? I can't personally ever see him managing a  bigger better club than us so why should he jump when he knows he won't be pushed ??

Course he will sack him. I really believe it will get to a point like it did with his dad. His position will become untenable 

Last season he didn't get sacked as "they were building something"

Can't dine out on that forever 

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Course he will sack him. I really believe it will get to a point like it did with his dad. His position will become untenable 

Last season he didn't get sacked as "they were building something"

Can't dine out on that forever 

Not too sure about that, but I hope you're right if next season starts like this one is ending.

3 hours ago, Spoons said:

So after 3 pages and 147 replies is LJ the right man???

No doubt another thread on the same topic be started tomorrow !!

Basically, we don't know. We are all here debating and some are downright arguing. LJ has got under the skin these past few months a bit like a pesky eczema that comes and goes; just when you think it aint coming back it does and u get all rat arsed about it all over again. 

4 hours ago, Spoons said:

So after 3 pages and 147 replies is LJ the right man???

No doubt another thread on the same topic be started tomorrow !!

I still don’t know!

Is he the right man to take us through the summer in readiness for the start of the season - probably. 

Is he the right man to take us to the Prem - less likely.

This summer is crucial, it’s a World Cup summer, the window ends (still some loop holes once closed) early, we may lose some of our better players, etc.  I don’t think we could bring in a new manager now (not that I think we will anyway) and yet our recruitment is under scrutiny.

I remember too many people over Xmas saying Cardiff and Derby would fall away - perennial bottlers was the comment.  They might still fail to get promotion, but they’ve given it a better shot than us.

Personally I don't think he is the right man at this moment in time, I like him and he is a City man and I would love him to succeed but I'm not confident, I would take Mick McCarthy all day long been there and done it and wouldn't take the abysmal displays we have had this year also would take the Brentford manager, the Plymouth manager, the Preston manager and the brothers at Lincoln, none of them very likely though as LJ won't be going anywhere soon .

11 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Personally I don't think he is the right man at this moment in time, I like him and he is a City man and I would love him to succeed but I'm not confident, I would take Mick McCarthy all day long been there and done it and wouldn't take the abysmal displays we have had this year also would take the Brentford manager, the Plymouth manager, the Preston manager and the brothers at Lincoln, none of them very likely though as LJ won't be going anywhere soon .

Interesting - MM had all season to get Ipswich promoted but ended the season below us. 

We were ‘boom and bust’ but they were just drivel. 

I’m happier ending the season where we are than where Ipswich are. 

Interesting the Wolves fans don’t rate him much either. 

Archived