IGNORED

Championship 2018/19

Dredd

So confirmed next year we have Wigan and Blackburn returning. I think Wigan will be in a better position to compete than they were last year, Blackburn possibly depends on how much the Venkys let the manager spend. Rumours already that it may not be much. 

Coming down from the Prem could be a number of teams but most should be highly competitive in the Championship. WBA Stoke Southampton Swansea West Ham Huddersfield all in the scrap.

In all I think it looks a lot harder next season, especially if Villa and Boro fail in the playoffs.

Championship 2018/19 Definites. (13)

Millwall

Brentford

Bristol City

Sheff.Utd

Norwich

Ipswich

Leeds

QPR

Sheff.Weds.

Nottm. Forest

Hull

Wigan

Blackburn

Plus 3 from: West Brom, Stoke City, Southampton, Swansea, Huddersfield, West Ham, Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, (Newcastle)

Plus 4 from: Cardiff, Fulham, Aston Villa, Middlesbrough, Derby County, PNE.

Plus 3 from: Reading, Birmingham, Barnsley, Burton, Bolton

Plus 1 from: Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Charlton, Scunthorpe, Plymouth.

Out of the Championship for 2018/19: Wolves, Sunderland.

We won't go up, but we won't go down either.

Stoke won't trouble the top end much IMO, neither would West Brom- both have financial problems potentially- that said West Brom seem revived so it depends. West Ham simply because big club, big gates- could do a Newcastle?

Southampton would be strong, hard to judge with Swansea...as with most things, could depend who they keep and similar with Huddersfield. Brighton? Big FFP issues. Really though, coming down should be WBA, Stoke and one of Southampton or Swansea IMO.

Coming up? Blackburn- lower midtable probably, Wigan may surprise a few but it's a big jump as we found out when tipped as dark horses 2 seasons ago. None of the potential play off winners particularly worry me.

If the records of promoted clubs has proved anything in the last few years it`s that to have a chance of competing you either have to have a solid team unit and keep it together (PNE, Millwall) or significantly improve in a few key positions (Sheff Utd)

If you just try and go with what you have and think you can compete without changing anything you`re going to be in a relegation fight (us the first season, MK Dons, Wigan last time, Bolton, Burton, Barnsley although they overachieved last season, particularly in the first half of it - the `solid unit` applies here as they had that until the guts were ripped out of them in January).

It all comes down to planning I suppose, get that right you`ll be OK, get it wrong you won`t be.

The EFL have confirmed that the 2018/19 fixtures will be released on Thursday the 21st of June 2018 from 9am.

The new campaign will get underway on Saturday the 4th of August 2018.
The First Round of the Carabao Cup will be played the week commencing the 13th of August 2018. 
The Emirates FA Cup Third Round will be scheduled for the weekend of the 5th of January 2019.                                                                                                                        The final day of the season looks set to take place on the 4th of May 2019.

For those gasheads who visit this site;

The Checkatrade Trophy gets underway during the week commencing the 3rd of September 2018.
The Emirates FA Cup First Round will be scheduled for the weekend of the 10th of November 2018.

4 hours ago, JBFC II said:

we'll be between 12-15th next season, reckon the three promoted clubs will all struggle as will the likes of reading, brum, and anyon else who doesn't go down

So you think we won’t “progress” then? 

If your prediction comes true, does “regression” mean the manager can be held responsible? 

Update: Stoke City relegated from PL

Championship 2018/19 Definites. (14)

Millwall

Brentford

Bristol City

Sheff.Utd

Norwich

Ipswich

Leeds

QPR

Sheff.Weds.

Nottm. Forest

Hull

Wigan

Blackburn

Stoke City

Plus 2 from: West Brom, Southampton, Swansea, Huddersfield.

Plus 3 from: Reading, Birmingham, Barnsley, Burton, Bolton

Plus 1 from: Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Scunthorpe, Charlton. Confirmed play off teams

Out of the Championship for 2018/19: Wolves, Sunderland.

10 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As I've posted before if Middlesbrough win the play offs, no trips to the North East for us fans to make next season. Then if Swansea are relegated, they get to play Cardiff next season.

Worst case scenario for travelling fans; Cardiff go up. Southampton stay up, Reading & Brum go down then Swansea would be our only "local derby" next season.

Update: Cardiff promoted. Burton and Barnsley relegated.

Championship 2018/19 Definites. (18)

Millwall

Brentford

Bristol City

Sheff.Utd

Norwich

Ipswich

Leeds

QPR

Sheff.Weds.

Nottm. Forest

Hull

Wigan

Blackburn

Stoke City

Preston

Reading

Birmingham

Bolton

Plus 3 from: Fulham, Aston Villa, Middlesbrough, Derby County. Confirmed play off teams

Plus 1 from: Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Scunthorpe, Charlton. Confirmed play off teams

Out of the Championship for 2018/19: Wolves, Sunderland, Cardiff, Barnsley, Burton.

•  

6 hours ago, 22A said:

Worst case scenario for travelling fans; Cardiff go up. Southampton stay up, Reading & Brum go down then Swansea would be our only "local derby" next season.

OK, as it now stands; Reading 78 miles. If Saints come down, that's "only" 75. Swansea & WBA are both 80ish.

20 minutes ago, 22A said:

OK, as it now stands; Reading 78 miles. If Saints come down, that's "only" 75. Swansea & WBA are both 80ish.

I'd still rather Swansea come down than Southampton.

Can't be having 2 Welsh teams in the English top flight again.

2 hours ago, 22A said:

Millwall 126, Brentford 115 & Fulham 117

Villa 99 & Brum 91, Stoke 128. 130 to Shrewsbury or 115 to Charlton if either of them come up.

Other than those we`re up to 150ish at least for the closest of the rest.

If Boro go up I reckon Norwich is the furthest away at 244

Update: West Brom. relegated from PL.

Championship 2018/19 Definites. (19)

Millwall

Brentford

Bristol City

Sheffield United

Norwich City

Ipswich Town

Leeds United

Queen's Park Rangers

Sheffield Wednesday

Nottingham Forest

Hull City

Wigan Athletic

Blackburn Rovers

Stoke City

Preston North End

Reading

Birmingham City

Bolton Wanderers

West Bromwich Albion

Plus 1 from:  Southampton, Swansea, Huddersfield.

Plus 3 from: Fulham, Aston Villa, Middlesbrough, Derby County. Confirmed play off teams

Out of the Championship for 2018/19: Wolves, Sunderland, Cardiff, Barnsley, Burton.

You can make a case every year for the division being tougher. On paper it’s hard to think of a league with more genuine top six contenders. Of the confirmed 19, there’s probably 16 or so who will genuinely feel they can achieve it. 

On paper WBA should be very strong. Can see Stoke and Swans/Hudds having a harder time of it. 

Hoping Shrewsbury come up in the playoffs but don’t think they will. 

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You can make a case every year for the division being tougher. On paper it’s hard to think of a league with more genuine top six contenders. Of the confirmed 19, there’s probably 16 or so who will genuinely feel they can achieve it. 

On paper WBA should be very strong. Can see Stoke and Swans/Hudds having a harder time of it. 

Hoping Shrewsbury come up in the playoffs but don’t think they will. 

Can see Shrewsbury being like Leyton Orient. A good season then the following they get relegated 

looking at the LG next season. it is going to be as tough as any season I can remember. Brum reading will surely get there act together. stoke west Brom looks like Swansea. still we could have villa and Fulham. we look like loosing our 3 best players Bryan Reid and pos flint. for us to  compete we are going to have to spend big. will the club I am not sure. another testing time ahead. 

I’m not worried about the teams coming down in all honesty. 

West Brom, with a new manager on board will take time to build something, I can see them being like Aston Villa with a smaller budget.

Stoke, even if they keep some of there players they were one of the worse teams to visit AG this season (albeit a slightly weakened team) and I’m not confident Lambert is a good enough manager.

Swansea/Huddersfield, start with Swansea, don’t have any stand out players that I think would tear this league apart, Jordan Ayew didn’t exactly set the world alight at Villa. Huddersfield, although they have a very good Championship team on paper I can’t see them being as effective as what they were due to the changes they made after going up

On 29/04/2018 at 12:59, Mr Popodopolous said:

Coming up? Blackburn- lower midtable probably, Wigan may surprise a few but it's a big jump as we found out when tipped as dark horses 2 seasons ago. None of the potential play off winners particularly worry me.

All teams in the championship worry me....we only took 2 points from Burton and 1 point from Millwall this season....yet loads were tipping both for relegation before the season started...

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

All teams in the championship worry me....we only took 2 points from Burton and 1 point from Millwall this season....yet loads were tipping both for relegation before the season started...

Conversely we took points off of every single team in the division bar PNE..

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I mean, yeah that's true but the overarching point surely is that plenty have their issues, their problems all have issues so relegation may not be such a concern- based on that alone.

Archived