IGNORED

Forest Highlights - Tomlin

Dullmoan Tone

OK - ground rules - let's not get into the "bad apple", fat, lazy, unfit, unprofessional stuff that has been done to death on this forum.

But having watched the Forest highlights on the main site link, did anyone else have that sense of nostalgia over what might have been?

He certainly looked to have more impact than anyone else and one mazy run reminded me just why I used to look forward to his performances more than anyone else?

Or is it just me?

10 minutes ago, Super said:

These type of players really annoy me. Clearly have a lot of talent but not willing to put in the work.

How is that skill created without endless practice (work)?

This players skill may exist to the level it does because he is not one of Gods natural born athletes.

He was great in the relegation run-in and decent in that first 3 months of last season for us.

A turning point- a major one last season for both was his miss v Brighton on Bonfire Night. Under the lights, the crowd was up, we had started pretty well- Tammy great play, Tomlin...miss.

Neither us nor him the same after that. He has a lot of ability- clearly- but lacks that certain something...

56 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

That's why he is such a frustrating player - you know he has ability and potential to be a top class player but somehow he  will never get there.

A bit like  Trundle and indeed JET (what became of him after joining QPR?)

These types of players are my favourite because they can do things others can't. You needs to build teams around them but in the cutthroat world of the championship you don't have the luxury of that time. 

54 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Playing for a signing on fee

And raising his game as it was us he was playing no doubt. Cardiff will want rid I would think, especially if they go up. He did have a pretty good game though to be fair, or were the rest on the pitch pretty awful.

34 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

These types of players are my favourite because they can do things others can't. You needs to build teams around them but in the cutthroat world of the championship you don't have the luxury of that time. 

It wouldn't matter if you did build your team around Tomlin. He is the sort of person who will refuse to take responsibility for his performance and will blame everyone else for poor performances

The sort of person who is probally a dream to work with when things are going well....and a proper two faced, back stabbing sh*t house when they are not 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

This players skill may exist to the level it does because he is not one of Gods natural born athletes.

90% natural ability. He'd have known as a young lad what a naturally gifted footballer he was when compared to lads of his own age. Realising that I'll bet he had a football to kick around at every spare moment.

As you said, he's not an athlete but neither was Le Tissier.

I was at the Forest game and in the first half Tomlin was playing right in front of me.  

To be honest, I actually thought Osbourne for them was more productive. Tomlin was being fed by him. 

Not knocking Tomlin - clearly a very talented player - and I didn’t join in the abuse he was getting either - I just thought Osbourne caused us more problems - when they noticed him and passed to him that is!!!

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

He obviously on some aspects of his game, but if you read that Guardian article on Bobby that was posted here last week, you can see just what needs to be married to that talent to achieve a top player. I am not sure Tomlin would even know that conditioning coaches exist, let alone seek one out on his time to get himself to the right level.

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

100%

Already whoring himself out on Twitter to the Forest fans. Bigging up Forest and their fans are lapping it up 

We got the t-shirt lads...

We can tell you now how it will end

Absolutely agree Andy (a rarity for you and I :) ) . He certainly seems to have mastered the art of getting a groundswell (no pun intended) of opinion on his side. Ashton and to a lesser extent Johnson, fell for that crowd pleasing aspect rather to easily in my opinion. Never the right signing for us and credit where it's due, there were some that were saying that without the benefit of hindsight. 

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Absolutely agree Andy (a rarity for you and I :) ) . He certainly seems to have mastered the art of getting a groundswell (no pun intended) of opinion on his side. Ashton and to a lesser extent Johnson, fell for that crowd pleasing aspect rather to easily in my opinion. Never the right signing for us and credit where it's due, there were some that were saying that without the benefit of hindsight. 

Well....even North and South Korea are agreeing these days

There is hope for us yet ;)

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

To be fair to Lee Johnson, his interviews from that summer made it clear that he was not entirely convinced about signing Tomlin and that fan pressure had paid a part in the decision.

It would be easy to say that LJ wasn't capable of managing the maverick that was Lee Tomlin and hence his reluctance to sign him after the loan but the fact that Warnock and Eddie Howe have also been unable to get reliable performances says that the problem is with the player, not the manager.

Rightly or wrongly, I blame a lot of last year's problems on Tomlin. Although we have had a bad run since Christmas there has be no talk of dissent in the camp. Last season was full of it.

As for building a team around Tomlin, I think that would only work if he was a manager.....at Gregg's.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

He obviously on some aspects of his game, but if you read that Guardian article on Bobby that was posted here last week, you can see just what needs to be married to that talent to achieve a top player. I am not sure Tomlin would even know that conditioning coaches exist, let alone seek one out on his time to get himself to the right level.

Why does Bobby Reid not have that skill level? 

Its quite common that these super skilled players are labelled lazy. It is also common that the super skilled are not genetically blessed e.g. Tomlin, Jet or Trundle. Coincidence or is that they have had to work harder to achieve the skill levels they have with less physical attributes?

The athletic workers frequently have the touch of a trampoline in comparison. 

there is an unmistakeable pattern to his career and it's not hard to see what will happen, the forest fans will clamour for him to be signed permanently, he will join them to a big fanfare play well for 6 or 7 games then become the lazy couldn't give a toss player he became here. 

36 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Why does Bobby Reid not have that skill level? 

Its quite common that these super skilled players are labelled lazy. It is also common that the super skilled are not genetically blessed e.g. Tomlin, Jet or Trundle. Coincidence or is that they have had to work harder to achieve the skill levels they have with less physical attributes?

The athletic workers frequently have the touch of a trampoline in comparison. 

I think Bobby is incredibly skilled, I just think he is more conventional in his use of it. But he has the ability to excite with a touch, or a turn to beat people andpick out the perfect pass like the one to Famara for his second goal against Hull.

I had no problem with JET or Lee Trundle (or Jacki Dziekanowski if you're old enough). They could all drift in and out of games. Sometimes they did nothing for 90 minutes but you watched in hope that a moment of brilliance would unlock a game.

Tomlin (after his loan) appeared to play the game he wanted - not the one that the team needed/expected. He often dropped deep to collect the ball, beat three players and then lost it to the fourth. We were then vulnerable to a counter attack because the loss of possession was unexpected.

When he wasn't doing this (but still looking to contribute) he often gave away fouls cheaply after a rush of blood to his head.

We all see a different game and I don't expect the majority to see it as I did.

What can't be denied is that he saves all his best performances when a signing-on fee and contract are up for grabs. The same shallow blight that infected Wayne Rooney who suddenly became a world beater when his Man Utd deal was up for renegotiation.

Give me a hard working, reliable and moderately skilled player any day.

4 hours ago, Xiled said:

To be fair to Lee Johnson, his interviews from that summer made it clear that he was not entirely convinced about signing Tomlin and that fan pressure had paid a part in the decision.

It would be easy to say that LJ wasn't capable of managing the maverick that was Lee Tomlin and hence his reluctance to sign him after the loan but the fact that Warnock and Eddie Howe have also been unable to get reliable performances says that the problem is with the player, not the manager.

Rightly or wrongly, I blame a lot of last year's problems on Tomlin. Although we have had a bad run since Christmas there has be no talk of dissent in the camp. Last season was full of it.

As for building a team around Tomlin, I think that would only work if he was a manager.....at Gregg's.

but what a big team it would be.

Archived