IGNORED

Dennis Watkins

Red Rocks

My Uncle, Dennis Watkins passed away at the age of 91 early last week. 

I’m informed that he started attending matches regularly when he was in his early thirties, so has been going down to the gate for nigh on 60 years. He was still a season ticket holder this year (and had been as long as I can remember) also following city away on a regular basis into his 70’s. The last match we attended together was the Man City game before ill health took its toll. Not a bad game to bow out on.

He was a member of the Senior Reds and attended regular meetings until recently. He enjoyed each of these meetings and I know he had many friends down at Ashton Gate. He managed to steer both myself and my brother in the direction of the reds by taking us to reserve games. My first being against Swindon Town with Glenn Hoddle sat to my right and Andy Cole in the seat in front - that’s going back a few years! 

He was a red through and through, sticking by the club in the very darkest of days.  It was fitting that I could take my two children to the Hull game, starting them off on the roller coaster ride which is following this club. The only sadness was that he was too ill to join us.

Up the city!

5 minutes ago, Super said:

It would be great to remember all City fans that have passed away during the season at the final home game every season.

Agree - make good use of those big screens with names, faces and dates on at HT perhaps. Bit like they do at the BAFTAs/Oscars.

41 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Agree - make good use of those big screens with names, faces and dates on at HT perhaps. Bit like they do at the BAFTAs/Oscars.

This is a regular thing in German football and is one of many that we should copy from them.

Archived