IGNORED

Surprise on Sunday.

Ashtonwurzel

4 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

Exactly. Imagine what life would’ve been like if he was still living down here. 

I’ve had to do the same I can’t live back home cuz I just ruin myself, is not me, not a road I wanna lead myself down again, yep I will visit but can’t live there 

14 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

I’ve had to do the same I can’t live back home cuz I just ruin myself, is not me, not a road I wanna lead myself down again, yep I will visit but can’t live there 

For Aarons, unfortunately the total scrotes he calls his friends are only a cheap easyJet flight away. Had he still been living in Bristol, you’d probably find a similar scenario to that Nile Ranger chap or that Ravel Morrison dick. 

6 minutes ago, Enter Sandman said:

For Aarons, unfortunately the total scrotes he calls his friends are only a cheap easyJet flight away. Had he still been living in Bristol, you’d probably find a similar scenario to that Nile Ranger chap or that Ravel Morrison dick. 

That bad?

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Even he has said it was the right decision for him to be released because he needed the kick up the backside. Not entirely sure it's worked completely though. Currently on loan at Verona after failing to kick on at Newcastle and recently appeared in court to plead guilty to affray, sentencing to take place on May 22nd.

Absolute nightmare off the pitch.

1 hour ago, lenred said:

To those who want to use league position as part of their 'progression' argument it does :ph34r:!

This a thousand times.

I'm in the "we made progress this season" camp BUT it's a small tick in a box versus a large red cross in a box for evidence of a long term and sustainable approach to the team and tactics. THAT doesn't exist, as our best players are not LJ signings AND are likely to leave soon while in the recent term our football has gone backwards.

On that basis, everyone who cares about 7th-11th on Sunday has totally missed the point that on Monday none of it matters one jot, it's irrelevant history book stuff, it may be numeric progress but the ONLY thing that informs the future of this team is our current form and the players that we're left with after the best ones leave.

Strap yourselves in. I'm fairly confident that next season will depend entirely on the signings City make to replace lots of our top class players leaving - and on the basis of a lot of signings under the present leadership, I honestly think we'll turn a lot of cash from transfers into a lot of average squad players that simply aren't ready. 

Tell me I'm wrong - I desperately want to be, but I'm simply going by current record.

26 minutes ago, Olé said:

This a thousand times.

I'm in the "we made progress this season" camp BUT it's a small tick in a box versus a large red cross in a box for evidence of a long term and sustainable approach to the team and tactics. THAT doesn't exist, as our best players are not LJ signings AND are likely to leave soon while in the recent term our football has gone backwards.

On that basis, everyone who cares about 7th-11th on Sunday has totally missed the point that on Monday none of it matters one jot, it's irrelevant history book stuff, it may be numeric progress but the ONLY thing that informs the future of this team is our current form and the players that we're left with after the best ones leave.

Strap yourselves in. I'm fairly confident that next season will depend entirely on the signings City make to replace lots of our top class players leaving - and on the basis of a lot of signings under the present leadership, I honestly think we'll turn a lot of cash from transfers into a lot of average squad players that simply aren't ready. 

Tell me I'm wrong - I desperately want to be, but I'm simply going by current record.

Rob, there’s a big part of me that says, if we make £20-30m on 3,4,5 sales, don’t try and spend it in one window.  Really spend it wisely.  And only spend it on players you are going play.  LJ - If you tell us in the signing interview that he’s one for now, we are going to expect you to be true to your word, we are going to expect you to have done your due diligence, we are gonna expect him to be a regular in the match day 18, and get game time.  If you tell us he might take 2-3 months to adjust, that’s fine too, but we are going to expect you and your coaching staff to be good enough to ready him for first team challenge after that time period.  We do not expect him to be sat on the bench in February and you bring in a replacement on loan, because you got it wrong.  We will give you leeway, because recruitment is a gamble....but it should be a calculated gamble.

I would accept a season of regression (if that’s measured by league position!) if I felt we had to bed in a new team that would kick on as the likes of Kelly or Vyner mature with another 15, 20, 25 starts under their belt.  Losing Flint, Bryan, Reid etc won’t be easy to replace effectively, even with 100% of the money generated.  I’d take a couple of good players coupled with 3 or 4 hungry Lg1 players (akin to your Aylings, your Freemans, your Smiths, etc).  They are out there.  We’ve been a bit blinkered that the only value is in Scandanavia or France (generalisation).

Summer will tell me what the plan is.

I'm with you 100% @Davefevs - what you describe is my best case scenario too.

However bar Brownhill, a pre-injury O'Dowda, and a £5m striker, I have very little confidence that the responsible powers have a satisfactory track record of enhancing the team with any immediacy, so I'm unsure if we'll responsibly use transfer funds (let alone SL's money) to replace likely significant departures this summer and keep us on a progressive trajectory. That's terrifying. Lose Reid, Bryan and Flint (quite possible) and I worry that even with typical LJ signings we could be way short of competitive.

1 minute ago, Olé said:

However bar Brownhill, a pre-injury O'Dowda, and a £5m striker, I have very little confidence that the responsible powers have a satisfactory track record of enhancing the team with any immediacy, so I'm unsure if we'll responsibly use transfer funds (let alone SL's money) to replace likely significant departures this summer and keep us on a progressive trajectory. That's terrifying. Lose Reid, Bryan and Flint (quite possible) and I worry that even with typical LJ signings we could be way short of competitive.

Couldn’t agree more.

This summer should’ve been about making one or two tweaks to a squad disappointed but raring to go again, e.g. missed out in the playoffs.  I sense that this squad is waiting to be broken up.  Perhaps it peaked at the back end of last season and pre-Xmas? Peaks and troughs don’t follow the football calendar.

11 minutes ago, Olé said:

You can add Baker, Wright, Magnússon and Paterson to that list. Let’s not pretend they can’t sign good players because they have also signed not so good ones. Think they do a decent job with the summer window especially. You could lose all 3 of Bryan, Flint and Reid and not have to replace them(not advocating it btw) in theory. A change of formation means Bobby doesn’t need replaced. Already have Kelly and Magnússon to replace Joe and Wright would be a downgrade for sure but that still isn’t a relegation threatened side before any money is spent. 

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Couldn’t agree more.

This summer should’ve been about making one or two tweaks to a squad disappointed but raring to go again, e.g. missed out in the playoffs.  I sense that this squad is waiting to be broken up.  Perhaps it peaked at the back end of last season and pre-Xmas? Peaks and troughs don’t follow the football calendar.

Agreed but that is the life of successful clubs like us Preston and Brentford. A top half season and bigger clubs come calling. You can bounce back though. The sales could mean a younger player steps up and is a revelation or the money is used to find even better players. The club under LJ has shown ambition and no reason to think they wouldn’t be if they have to replace someone. The club is being run the right way even if there are still a few kinks here and there. 

6 hours ago, Olé said:

I'm not sure it's an inability to sign players that will improve the team straight away, it's too much focus on signing players 'for the future' that has meant that policy taking precedence over new first team signings.

This means they are relying on the 'ones for the future' becoming first team players in the next year or so, and I can't help but feel we are a year or so behind schedule on that policy working.

It remains to be seen if the powers that be see it like that and jump in with a couple of 'first teamers' this summer to redress the balance, but we shall see I guess.

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

I'm not sure it's an inability to sign players that will improve the team straight away, it's too much focus on signing players 'for the future' that has meant that policy taking precedence over new first team signings.

This means they are relying on the 'ones for the future' becoming first team players in the next year or so, and I can't help but feel we are a year or so behind schedule on that policy working.

It remains to be seen if the powers that be see it like that and jump in with a couple of 'first teamers' this summer to redress the balance, but we shall see I guess.

With GON, Bryan and Reid moving on there should be plenty of scope with incoming transfers, we should have both the means to buy players and the budget to pay competitive salaries, the team needs strengthing with Championship experience, what we don't need is another group of players who are then farmed out to non league and lower division teams to gain experience.

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

You can add Baker, Wright, Magnússon and Paterson to that list. Let’s not pretend they can’t sign good players because they have also signed not so good ones. Think they do a decent job with the summer window especially. You could lose all 3 of Bryan, Flint and Reid and not have to replace them(not advocating it btw) in theory. A change of formation means Bobby doesn’t need replaced. Already have Kelly and Magnússon to replace Joe and Wright would be a downgrade for sure but that still isn’t a relegation threatened side before any money is spent. 

Agreed but that is the life of successful clubs like us Preston and Brentford. A top half season and bigger clubs come calling. You can bounce back though. The sales could mean a younger player steps up and is a revelation or the money is used to find even better players. The club under LJ has shown ambition and no reason to think they wouldn’t be if they have to replace someone. The club is being run the right way even if there are still a few kinks here and there. 

You really got me with your last sentence.

7 hours ago, Olé said:

This a thousand times.

Agree.  I think next season we will see if the clubs ‘plan’ that was sold to us when LJ was appointed is the real deal or just our own version of the fable ‘the  emperors new clothes.’

The ‘one for the future’ and increased in league position make the ‘plan’ difficult to argue against/easy to defend even if you have doubts

Since LJ has been here there has been a reliance on the league 1 promotion squad with the majority of players brought in for big money being labled ‘for the future’ and with a couple of exceptions those brought in for the now underperforming.

Well guys, with us probably loosing our best players in the summer,  next season the futures has finally arrived.  The ‘ones for the future’ have done their apprenticeship and should be ready to step up.

I believe one way or another we will see with a degree of certainty whether LJ and his coaches are the real deal and whether Mark Ashton and his scouts are really moving us forward

The time for sound bites and management talk will be over. It’s a real defining season for all those connected to the club.  The emperors new clothes, will we see Steve Lansdown Standing there in an amazing new suit or clapping the team off in the nude.

35 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

With GON, Bryan and Reid moving on there should be plenty of scope with incoming transfers, we should have both the means to buy players and the budget to pay competitive salaries, the team needs strengthing with Championship experience, what we don't need is another group of players who are then farmed out to non league and lower division teams to gain experience.

What I hope happens is that the youngsters like Kelly , Vyner and company get integrated into the team along with two or three top class experienced  players to help their development and avoid us struggling.

The  playing budget should accommodate this type of scenario as the youngsters won't initially be on top end wages .

I believe the back bone of our team will be sold this summer and the new guys will need to gel quickly .

Reid , Bryan , Pack , Smith , Flint and  Fielding know each other's games perfectly. We will need a bit of time for the new look exciting City team to click . 

Patience and resolve may be the name of the game next season.

Especially if we have a new coaching team .

4 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Agree.  I think next season we will see if the clubs ‘plan’ that was sold to us when LJ was appointed is the real deal or just our own version of the fable ‘the  emperors new clothes.’

The ‘one for the future’ and increased in league position make the ‘plan’ difficult to argue against/easy to defend even if you have doubts

Since LJ has been here there has been a reliance on the league 1 promotion squad with the majority of players brought in for big money being labled ‘for the future’ and with a couple of exceptions those brought in for the now underperforming.

Well guys, with us probably loosing our best players in the summer,  next season the futures has finally arrived.  The ‘ones for the future’ have done their apprenticeship and should be ready to step up.

I believe one way or another we will see with a degree of certainty whether LJ and his coaches are the real deal and whether Mark Ashton and his scouts are really moving us forward

The time for sound bites and management talk will be over. It’s a real defining season for all those connected to the club.  The emperors new clothes, will we see Steve Lansdown Standing there in an amazing new suit or clapping the team off in the nude.

Please Bob it's the ' new ' suit and not the ' Birthday ' one .

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I would accept a season of regression (if that’s measured by league position!) if I felt we had to bed in a new team that would kick on as the likes of Kelly or Vyner mature with another 15, 20, 25 starts under their belt.  Losing Flint, Bryan, Reid etc won’t be easy to replace effectively, even with 100% of the money generated.  I’d take a couple of good players coupled with 3 or 4 hungry Lg1 players (akin to your Aylings, your Freemans, your Smiths, etc).  They are out there.  We’ve been a bit blinkered that the only value is in Scandanavia or France (generalisation).

Summer will tell me what the plan is.

Dave & @Olé

Totally agree with all your posts in your discussion above :clap:

Exactly my major concern

I’ve only quoted the above post Dave as for me it sums everything up for me

Not overly bothered , if at all, about Premier League (Accept lots are and I fully understand them and their reasons and understandable desires)

Would be more than happy for us to become a well run fully established Championship Club and what I see building , or not , in that direction is the b all and end all for me

Like you I would be ok with a lower finish next season IF I could see a plan , see why we will (As you say bedding in new signings etc) noticeable improvements in LJ (And hence increased confidence in him , his ability to learn and improve )  

steady consistency , rather than hills and troughs following both a tactical and recruitment plan , 

Think this summers recruitment and LJs ability to form a tactical way forward will ultimately decide his destiny here

I have an uneasy fear/ real concern  , ( accepting that it’sunlike most it appears) , that we may have a fight for our Championship place next season

(That’s based on an assumption we will lose 2 or 3 key players in summer)

Lee’s ultimate fate may actually rest in the simple answer -  who we replace them with

(IMHO)

Edit

@General Zod - good post of yours above 

We were obviously typing at same time !! As you’ve said well what I was getting at ;)

There are some excellent point on this thread, I particularly agree with @Oléand @Davefevs . I really see it as a huge turning point and fear for losing our backbone of players we have had for years plus Reid who obviously has been key. I really see this as a SoD moment, I felt the same about him in the way he was looking so far into the distance at the promised land and future player potential that he didn’t notice the ground crumbling beneath his feet in the here and now. 

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

if Smith wasn't still playing for Fylde he would have been in I think. Instead Semenyo as already mentioned and maybe Opi Edwards and Jake Andrews on the bench?

Out of interest -   Genuine. Q if anyone au fait with the regs.....

I know Out players loaned out to League Clubs couldn’t play Sunday , even if not involved with the Clubs they were lent to

But does that not apply to loanees that went out to NonLeague Clubs ?

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

There are some excellent point on this thread, I particularly agree with @Oléand @Davefevs . I really see it as a huge turning point and fear for losing our backbone of players we have had for years plus Reid who obviously has been key. I really see this as a SoD moment, I felt the same about him in the way he was looking so far into the distance at the promised land and future player potential that he didn’t notice the ground crumbling beneath his feet in the here and now. 

Good and interesting post M , particularly re SOD

Got me thinking , SOD was far more interested in the structure and base rather than the first team and results ,  and would have shrugged his shoulders at relegation as long as the structure was better

Then you look at the backbone of this current side that won L1 and SODs legacy is involved

Now I’m not suggesting Lee would shrug his shoulders at relegation , and SL wouldn’t be chuffed , but I can actually see us dropping at some point, SL sticking by Lee .....and that ironically , might (If you can follow my thoughts) actually be the best chance of LJ building something of his, and develeoping his skills , and constructing a side , completely his , with a view to promotion back ,  and sustaining it (could be a painful journey but long term a success (That’s assuming Lee does have that ability/ potential of course)

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good and interesting post M , particularly re SOD

Got me thinking , SOD was far more interested in the structure and base rather than the first team and results ,  and would have shrugged his shoulders at relegation as long as the structure was better

Then you look at the backbone of this current side that won L1 and SODs legacy is involved

Now I’m not suggesting Lee would shrug his shoulders at relegation , and SL wouldn’t be chuffed , but I can actually see us dropping at some point, SL sticking by Lee .....and that ironically , might (If you can follow my thoughts) actually be the best chance of LJ building something of his, and develeoping his skills , and constructing a side , completely his , with a view to promotion back ,  and sustaining it (could be a painful journey but long term a success (That’s assuming Lee does have that ability/ potential of course)

Indeed. I guess on the flip side of losing our mainstay backbone players is that ultimately they haven’t achieved promotion to the Premiership or even been a stable or consistent force within the Championship. Maybe the aim is to rip it up and start again, with the added benefit of being able to sell the players individually to fund this. 

1 hour ago, General Zod said:

Not quoted all of your post, but I agree with it all, just these two final paragraphs will be the proof of the pudding.

Next season will be transfer windows 4 and 5.

Next season will be his 4th season (yes, I know season 1 was only half a season).

By Xmas, he will have been here (with MA) for 3 years, that is considerably longer than the average management tenure.

I think at that point we will all be able to objectively review where we are, where we are going, and ultimately whether LJ is the man to take us forward.  I hope it’s all positive.  I’ve said before, I want him to succeed, he has a lot of things going for him.

I won’t just be judging on league position.

I am expecting an anxious summer.

51 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I know Out players loaned out to League Clubs couldn’t play Sunday , even if not involved with the Clubs they were lent to

I don’t know for sure, it will probably depend on how the loan was constructed, but my gut feel is - yes, I think Semenyo could play.  I think Max O’Leary was on the bench at Villa, after FF’s red v Wolves, but my confusion is because his Solihull loan straddled the end of the year and the transfer window opining.

It's great to see we have 16 y/o ready to break in and impact a championship match, if that's the case. As a cat 2 academy we must have hidden this gem away from prying eyes. If however he isn't ready, these 5/6 injuries are a bit of joke tbh, and for me an insight into a club that's too nice. Leadership and culture comes from the top down, that's a fact. Our mental weakness has been pitiful, if we are now letting players hang up their boots a week early, for whatever reason, let's not dress it up as us having a 16 y/o wonderkid. This game for me is a must win, not for league position, but for multiple senior pros to turn up and deliver - this should not be treated like a free match, the second half of this season does not warrant it.

As an aside best of luck to the youngster, prove me wrong - but the softness of this club is a joke, and not extended to how they deal with us, the supporters. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I can't say for sure Bob, but I think the loans for academy players and for loaning to non-league may be different. I am only really basing this on the fact that some of young lads have been on loan AND playing for the U23's in certain games. I think this may be part of the reason the Management choose to loan to lower league teams when others on here want them to be playing at league level, it gives us more input into their development. As I say I am only surmising, but I think @spudski or @Cowshed for example may be able to tell us more judging by their knowledgeable posts on the academy set up.

Archived