IGNORED

Lois Diony - The Statistical Freak

Olé

11 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I honestly think we could be in the playoffs if we'd played Eliasson and Engvall instead of Kent and Diony.

It's a bold shout, but in support of what you say: Engvall looked more competent in 7 minutes away at Watford in the FA Cup and alongside teenagers, than Diony has at any point so far. That's why our talent evaluation is such a mystery.

Meanwhile people forget about Eliasson, but he played against Man Utd and was on the pitch for our winner, as well as away at both Sheff Utd and Hull City. His sudden complete disappearance is up there with Shergar, Lord Lucan and Lilt.

14 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

What good do you think giving someone high quality drugs would do? 

Load up our Lois on the magic mushrooms, can't link two passes together but he keeps saying white paints running out of his fingertips and the referee is gyrating.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

It's a bold shout, but in support of what you say: Engvall looked more competent in 7 minutes away at Watford in the FA Cup and alongside teenagers, than Diony has at any point so far. That's why our talent evaluation is such a mystery.

Meanwhile people forget about Eliasson, but he played against Man Utd and was on the pitch for our winner, as well as away at both Sheff Utd and Hull City. His sudden complete disappearance is up there with Shergar, Lord Lucan and Lilt.

We may question our recruitment.

But what does that say about team selection?

When was the last time Woodrow was on the bench - out of interest?

12 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Not just an isolated dud though is it?

I don’t think our success and failure rate is much worse than other teams? For example Boro spent £9m on Braithwaite in the summer and he left on loan to Bordeaux in Jan, that dud alone covers all our loans and permanents that haven’t worked out so it’s not all doom and gloom!

17 hours ago, pnefcok said:

Think his agent was going around towards the end of January doing a lot of convincing and clubs were panicking.

18 hours ago, Super said:

Why on earth did West Ham buy him?

Was speaking to some West Ham fans last weekend, they strongly believe they only bought him because a) Crystal Palace was interested, and b) in case they continued to slide into the Championship. 

Talk about a panic buy!

As I've said before, when I was in Canada I met a French exchange student who is a St Etienne fan. He said that Diony had been a complete joke; one of their worst transfers ever. Also said his previous prolific season for (i forgot which team) was a complete flash in the pan. He would have paid the bloody plane ticket himself had Ashton asked nicely! The thought of them being able to cart him off was one he absolutely loved as he knew he'd played his last game for St Etienne. We only need to look at Fulham loaning Mitrovic or even Barnsley loaning McBurnie just to see how spectacularly this gamble failed; even Taylor has been playing over the guy so he must be crap in training too! With the exception of Diedhiou I'm really concerned with LJ's striker signing record. I know Ollie Watkins is more an inside forward than an all out striker but imagine seeing him down the road at Exeter available for 1.6m and then going and instead choosing to spunk nearly 2m on a Swedish forward who obviously doesn't like the country, has a greedy agent and won't actually go for a loan in England. Oh wait, we don't have to imagine it because it actually happened. Engvall is going to be the answer to a tough pub quiz question in a few years time, whereas Ollie has shown himself to be the real deal and I know this because I had the pleasure of watching him a lot in his final season at Exeter.

6 hours ago, Selred said:

Was speaking to some West Ham fans last weekend, they strongly believe they only bought him because a) Crystal Palace was interested, and b) in case they continued to slide into the Championship. 

Talk about a panic buy!

Not sure we did too well out of it tbh. Wasn't the biggest Hugill fan but selling him at the last minute didn't help our play-off push regardless of the money we got. Moult has been dreadful when played. Owner sounds reluctant to spend the money in summer as well.

23 minutes ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

I told you Diony was the weakest link after his game time against Sunderland but 17 of you thought I was talking rubbish. :clap:

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/192945-diony/&

That’s because he’d literally joined about 10 days ago. There’s not much you can read into that really and certainly doesn’t prove you ‘right’ about anything.

In fairness to him, arguably he didn’t get the run of starts needed to judge him. Same for Woodrow. It’s very hard for forwards to get any rhythm if they’re not starting.

Obviously he’d need time to bed in given his form and difference coming from France and we couldn’t afford to give him that. Definitely a signing for summer rather than winter. Was a risky signing.

Clearly the issues with him seem to be off the pitch, both his form and the rumours of his misbehaviour.

When I saw him about QPR I saw bits about his game that looked very good. I thought it was pretty obvious he was a good player from his off the ball runs, aggression and turn of pace. His form in France pre St Etienne and the calibre of clubs who were interested indicate he’s not crap. Sadly that QPR game turned out to be his best contribution for us!

He’s only 25 so plenty of time for him to turn it around.. think he’s got to sort out his frame of mind above everything though.

9 hours ago, DaveF said:

I don’t think our success and failure rate is much worse than other teams? For example Boro spent £9m on Braithwaite in the summer and he left on loan to Bordeaux in Jan, that dud alone covers all our loans and permanents that haven’t worked out so it’s not all doom and gloom!

So Middlesbrough have a Nine Mil dud. They will be in the play offs. We have Engval Eliasson Walsh approx 6m We have Kent Diony Woodrow as loans. Our entire bench was utter crap for the second half of the season plus add Leko into that. 

I’m not  sure I agree with your basic thrust . 

Perhaps add Taylor Moore who came here and was originally on the bench before we found out the England U20 was a bit soft and that awful German goal keeper who played in the first team

Sure there have been successes  but it’s the failures that could not be relied on   (LJ comment many times about reliability of some players Often meaning Magnússon) that have cost SL his big dream!

24 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That’s because he’d literally joined about 10 days ago. There’s not much you can read into that really and certainly doesn’t prove you ‘right’ about anything.

In fairness to him, arguably he didn’t get the run of starts needed to judge him. Same for Woodrow. It’s very hard for forwards to get any rhythm if they’re not starting.

Obviously he’d need time to bed in given his form and difference coming from France and we couldn’t afford to give him that. Definitely a signing for summer rather than winter. Was a risky signing.

Clearly the issues with him seem to be off the pitch, both his form and the rumours of his misbehaviour.

When I saw him about QPR I saw bits about his game that looked very good. I thought it was pretty obvious he was a good player from his off the ball runs, aggression and turn of pace. His form in France pre St Etienne and the calibre of clubs who were interested indicate he’s not crap. Sadly that QPR game turned out to be his best contribution for us!

He’s only 25 so plenty of time for him to turn it around.. think he’s got to sort out his frame of mind above everything though.

Don't you hate it when Ashton parrots on about the 'right DNA' yet this guy seems to be a bit of a nob. What were the rumours of what he's done? I haven't actually been following football for a while to be honest, got into ice hockey instead. You're definitely right that it was the wrong idea to sign him in January. 'Try before you buy' on a player who is in appalling form is not the right choice for a playoff-chasing side who needs experience

don’t need stats to tell me he’s absolute tripe. my eyeballs at Cardiff away told me all I need to know. should’ve sent him back there and then. 

more worrying is LJ is on record saying he was our first choice over Famara in the summer but were priced out  

fraud pony. 

11 hours ago, REDOXO said:

So Middlesbrough have a Nine Mil dud. They will be in the play offs. We have Engval Eliasson Walsh approx 6m We have Kent Diony Woodrow as loans. Our entire bench was utter crap for the second half of the season plus add Leko into that. 

I’m not  sure I agree with your basic thrust . 

Perhaps add Taylor Moore who came here and was originally on the bench before we found out the England U20 was a bit soft and that awful German goal keeper who played in the first team

Sure there have been successes  but it’s the failures that could not be relied on   (LJ comment many times about reliability of some players Often meaning Magnússon) that have cost SL his big dream!

Every time anyone of these players fee gets mentioned, the price goes up. 

Archived